“Wonderful vacation”

Ranked #24 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Maple Shade, New Jersey
“Wonderful vacation”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We started out our week in PR at a privately owned condo (vacation rental on vrbo.com) in Fajardo as we were scuba diving. Halfway through our vacation we went to San Juan and my husband showed me the Condado Plaza, where he has stayed many times. We made reservations for the remainder of our vacation, checked in and immediately, drove back to the condo, packed and left. The hotel is amazing. Very clean, the housekeeping staff was great (we didn't require much cleaning only clean towels), the front door staff was right there when you needed them, Kendra at the front desk (check-in) was a doll. The lagoon/beach area and pools are very nice and well kept. My only complaint is I did not like the feather pillows. Too flat. Other than that, no complaints. We cannot wait to go back and plan to do so around Easter.

Room Tip: Rooms on the City side are noisy, even on he higher floors, but the hotel is right on the main stree...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JamesCindyG

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,040)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I had an enjoyable stay at this hotel last August. Everyone we met was nice, the food was good, and our room was very clean. Halfway through the weekend a huge storm hit. But, it didn't "rain on our parade." We loved some of the places within walking distance. We still had a great time.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We spent two nights here as our last two in Puerto Rico. We stayed at La Concha on the previous Saturday night so only have that to compare this to but...

This hotel is a nightmare if you care about service (room service, guest service, concierge, front-desk support, housekeeping, laundry, etc.). But, if you want a really expensive hotel where you can be left completely alone by the staff - this could be your place.

Here is an *actual* interaction from our time in the hotel there:

6:00 p.m. - I call guest services to ask for a corkscrew for some wine we had in the room ("it will be right up")
6:20 p.m. - Call guest services again, who then say it will be right up
6:50 p.m. - Guest services not answering, but transfers to housekeeping. They know nothing of the corkscrew but will "send one up immediately"
7:20 p.m. - Housekeeping not answering so we call the concierge - "it will be right up"
8:00 p.m. - We are leaving for the night and stop by the front desk and have this conversation:

Me: Hi, we called guest services, housekeeping, and the concierge each for 2 hours and never got the corkscrew we asked for. What's the deal?

Front Desk Guy (Wilson): Well, guest services, housekeeping, and the concierge don't have corkscrews. Room service does.

Me: OK, then why did they all say they would send up a corkscrew?

Wilson: Well, you see... they have the walkie talkies... you know... to call each other.

Me: Well, are they broken? I don't understand what you're telling me.

Wilson: (Stares at me for 10 seconds) So... you want a corkscrew?

Goodnight folks. Stay at La Concha or somewhere else where they try, just even a little.

Room Tip: The best room is the one at another hotel. But if you do stay here, the "city view" is pre...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank MarvelleMaher

Travellers are raving about these San Juan hotels

Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I stayed here approximately 15 nights in 2012-2013, and this was the worst Conrad I have stayed at. The service is plain terrible, I once saw a tray of leftover room service food left outside someone's room for 18 hours. The AC sucks, and the valets are plain mean. I would pay NOT to park my car here but there is no other place.

The worst is the sub contracted business center. I paid $14 to print 1 page - like $7 for the internet (for 2 mins) and $5 for the printer. Cost at La Concha and Ritz: $0.

If this place did not occupy arguably the best real estate in Condado it would be out of business.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs the building on the north side (away from the ocean, next to the lagoon). This w...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
7 Thank Eric P
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I can overlook the elevators not working the entire stay, the hotel pool bar being under construction and the pricey meals but the worst was that when my 13 year old daughter slipped in our room due to a faulty air conditioner thatwas keaking in the ceiling that i had previously reported and was supposedly fixed my daughter slipped and broke her The head of security told me my daughter was lying we had find our own way home from the hospital. The next day we had to reach out to the general manager and his front desk staff all who never showed any concern or compassion that our daughter broke her wrist which ruined our entire stay. Will never return to this Hilton and possible any hilton

• Stayed September 2012
11 Thank Cdmhiggins
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Dear Cdmhiggins

I am terribly sorry that your experience at our hotel was disappointing. I especially would like to express my concern regarding your daughters slip at our hotel. I can assure you that our guests’ safety is our main priority and very much regret that you and your family went through such an ordeal. I guarantee you that all of your comments will be internally discussed with our management team for immediate action.

Once again, I would like to genuinely apologize for the inconveniences that you went through during your stay. On behalf of the entire team, we thank you for your feedback and are truly sorry we did not succeed creating a memorable experience for you and your family. Should you desire to discuss your visit in further detail, please feel free to contact me directly.

Michelle Burn
Guest Relations Manager
michelle.burn@hilton.com
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Stay here at your own peril. You're fair game for criminals at the Conrad San Juan COndado Plaza. My wife's bag, including wallets, I.D.'s, credit cards, cash, phones, and ipods, was stolen at poolside. As my wife and children yelled as the thief fled with their bag, security did nothing. Left with no money, the hotel would not accept a wire transfer of funds, leaving my wife and two daughters to take a cab at night into the city to a grocery store that accepted such a transfer. Investigations by hotel security and the Puerto Rico police have yielded no results. The hotel accepts no responsibility. The hotel and pool are accesible to anyone from the street or outside. A room key card is not neccessary. We recieved a letter from the hotel denying liability and apologizing for our "inconveince." How unbelievably insensitive. The emotional toll on my wife will take years to get over. My daughter's trip, a gift for her sixteenth birthday, was a horrible memory and a waste of money. Shame on the management of this hotel. A call to Conrad Hotel Corporate Offices yielded a similar result. We will never set foot in a Conrad, a Hilton, or Puerto Rico again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
17 Thank j1e2d3
Dear J1e2d3,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. Please accept our sincere apology if your wife’s property went missing while staying with us. We want you to know that we have taken this very seriously and are taking all the necessary steps to thoroughly investigate this incident. Our customers’ personal property is always respected and I sincerely apologize if this caused you and your family any heartache. We will also be discussing this matter with our security staff to ensure this does not occur again.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you experienced. If I can be of further assistance please feel free to contact me directly.

Best regards,

Michelle Burn
Guest Relations Manager
The Condado Plaza Hilton
Port Washington, New York
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I liked our stay there, as the grounds themselves (pools, spa, and beach) were great. The hotel is good, not great, and had everything you would need. The rooms are solid, nothing spectacular, but very doable. We ate at several different hotel venues, and for the most part the food was satisfactory - again, very solid but nothing to write home about. I think for the money, there was very good value.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,142 reviews
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!