“Lovely accommodations, poor dining/other options” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Condado Plaza Hilton

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #24 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Maryland
“Lovely accommodations, poor dining/other options”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Just spent an extended weekend at the Condado Plaza, formerly the Conrad Hilton, having booked the last minute trip to attend a family event.
Pros:
1. Our ocean view room, on the 3rd floor, was exactly as viewed on the site's photos. Amenities, etc. were fine. Despite a late arrival, there were no problems at all with check-in.
2. Location - Situated at the west end of Ashford Avenue, there is easy access to the otherwise often congested Ashford Avenue and nearby streets and to the bridge that leads to San Juan.
3. Cafe Caribe on the Mezzanine level offers very reasonably priced breakfast options and marvelous oceanfront views. However, it does NOT offer the ubiquitous and much desired Puerto Rican "Cafe con Leche." It serves American ground coffee with warm milk, so please do not think of this coffee as the genuine article.
4. Multiple pools, including a salt water pool and a virtually private pool on the lagoon side of the facility.
5. A few steps outside the beach area there are local vendors with excellently priced food carts, drinks ($5 Pina Coladas), snacks. Turn right as you exit the hotel or walk through the beach area to the small plaza.
6. On the lagoon side, one can access reasonably priced kayak rental and other equipment.
Cons:
1. Fine dining options are exorbitantly priced. Fortunately, Casa Lola is practically across the street and a much better option than Pikayo.
2. The lobby bars are simply uninviting. One is a circular setup with indifferent servers. Loud TVs broadcasting sporting events compete with earsplitting musical sounds bleeding from an adjacent bar/cafe. The distinction between these is unclear.
3. Beach area location affords easy access to non-guests. Yes, there is a right to access but not a right to enter the hotel grounds, use the hammocks, etc. It was clear folks had figured out that a nice tip would ensure the hotel staff at the beach would not alert security. If this is a concern, opt for the Caribe Hilton, where access is more strictly controlled.
4. Housekeeping - We left our room at 9:00 a.m., spotted housekeepers on the floor, and returned at 5:00p.m. The room had not been cleaned. When I inquired, I was advised that the rooms were done between 6-10p.m. but one could ask for an earlier time. We are frequent travelers and had not encountered this previously. The next day, the room was done by 10a.m.

Room Tip: The hotel has two buildings. The main one has the preferred ocean view rooms. The other is across t...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Springtraveler06
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Springtraveler06,

Thank you for your candid review! I appreciate both your pros and cons, and I will definitely be sharing all of them with management on our next operations meeting. I'm sorry that you found Pikayo too pricey; Chef Wilo Benet's dishes are a work of art. I do want to take the opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay with us, and I invite you to contact me should you wish to stay with us in the near future; we would love to have the opportunity to welcome you again at The Condado Plaza Hilton.

Michelle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,006)
Orlando, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Even though a bit pricy with so many Resort Fees this is a really nice hotel with a great location. Food is very good however its pricy...There are excellent dining options within walking distance and competitive pricing.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Jose R
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

The hotel looks good on the website , yet fails to deliver on that promise. The rooms are very noisy, we were awakened at all hours of the night by the sounds of toilets flushing , people talking loudly in hallways etc. and to top it off , our room was never cleaned I two days . Upon request the janitor showed up at 10 pm at night after we had retired for the night . Do not recommend .. Ever

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Samosas2014,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay at our property. I am sorry to read that your stay was not up to your standards. Please, if you wish to discuss your review further you may contact me directly at michelle.burn@hilton.com; I will be delighted to assist. I genuinely thank you for choosing to stay at our property and for providing us with the opportunity to be of service. I look forward in hearing from you. All the best,

Western Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

Already planning on going back! Gorgeous grounds, really friendly, helpful staff all around, great drinks, funky rooms and the ocean side ones are so worth the price! Beach is fantastic! For the haters...when we were there, they were power washing the roofs, no mold, no dents in the room...clean, clean, clean..rainbows literally greeted us over the ocean there one morning....wow! Tips-get a mojito at the bar near the lobby and enjoy the best crystal ball light fixtures ever; do the slide at the pool later in the day and then swim up to the bar; Pikayo for a special meal especially the Risotto con Gandules...wow an a Cuba Libre at the bar so you can be schooled in how it differs from a US rum and coke; 10th floor view; comfy beds, awesome showers; breakfast w awesome coffee in cafe; crazy crabs and pelicans on the beach....all kinds of paths and nooks and crannies.....stay, STay, STAY here!! Again, book the ocean side....you will not be disappointed!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank HilltownTravelers
Dear HilltownTravelers,

Hi there!

I hope you have my email in hand for when you plan your next visit! (michelle.burn@hilton.com) Thank you very much for your review; it makes me very happy to read that you had a great stay at our property. I hope to have the opportunity in welcoming you once more at The Condado Plaza Hilton! See you soon; best,

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

I visited the Condado Plaza Hilton in January with my wife and 2 year old daughter - narrowly escaping one of the winter storms here in Chicago, by hours :-) My review of the hotel

AIRPORT PROXIMITY:
Approximately 10/15min via cab, around $20 or so

HOTEL:
-Beautiful lobby and grounds - well maintained
-Great staff (except one small hiccup - see below)
-Close proximity to a few restaurants, starbucks, shopping and a few convenience stores
-Freshwater pool, saltwater pool with slide (for adults/older children), jacuzzi & kiddie pool. Enjoyed all of them.
-Casino in the hotel that I lost a little money in :-( But it's a nice casino

RESTAURANTS AT HOTEL:
-There are 2 restaurants in the hotel, a cafe called "Cafe Caribe" (great view of the ocean) and a Denny's across the street - associated with the hotel. Breakfast can be eaten at Cafe Craibe or Dennys

BEACH:
Private access to beach. Although it's technically a public beach, it didn't feel like it a all. Theres a staff member at the steps of the beach to setup chairs/umbrellas for hotel guest. They also send a server to the beach for hotel guest to order drinks. If you're looking for a beach to stroll on, this isn't the one as it's not that large. It's between a causeway and reef but it's still a good sized beach!

ROOM:
-We got a king bed oceanfront room with a seating area. It was a clean, well appointed room. They knew in advance that I had a toddler and had sent and set up crib in the room prior to my check-in...great touch! As other reviewers mentioned, GET AN OCEANFRONT ROOM. Nothing like the sounds of crashing waves, watching the beautiful waters from your room.
-Bathroom is nice, the closet is inside of the bathroom, a safe and a coffee maker, mini refrigerator (no microwave). The shower is smack in the middle of the bathroom but somehow it didn't feel obtrusive.

STAFF:
Most of the staff was excellent except one small hiccup. I'm a diamond member and since my flight departing PR was not until 4, I requested late checkout at the front desk. Her reply "no problem, your room key won't work after 12 so please get a picture id so I can extend the room key" I go to my room, get the id, come back downstairs and present it. She says "i'll also need a credit card" Huhh??? I gave them a credit card upon checkin but she wanted it again, to swipe it again? Didn't make any sense to me...I had a limited amount of time left to enjoy the resort before my departing flight - my wife and daughter are waiting at the beach and front desk attendant wanted me go BACK to my room on the 8th floor because she wants to charge my card again. I admonished her - contacted Michelle Burn (guest relations manager) who assisted me with an updated key immediately...without all of the additional steps!

Michelle is awesome and literally a "shining star" in the staff at that resort...kudos to her for assisting a faithful Hilton Honors member! She proactively reached out during the stay and helped provide touches that made this one of the best stays I've had at a Hilton property.

Go to this resort, you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Oceanfront high floor!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank MoTown2020
mishawaka, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

Try to stay in the main tower, it is a very different experience. Does not provide the same experience as other Hilton Locations. If visiting PR, I recommend the Ponce Hilton. The fitness center is nice, but the showers and steam room and sauna are grossly dirty.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank William P
Rye, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

The room and lobby were nicely renovated, but the rest of the hotel had a general shabbiness - sun chairs with holes in them/worn out and scratched arms by the pool, rust damage to outdoor furniture, missing/broken stair tiles. bleach stains on the hallway carpets, water damage to our balcony ceiling....that sort of stuff. It took 3 phone calls to get our room safe fixed, 2 phone calls to get a working lightbulb put into a lamp and only 1 call to get the TV fixed - all of those things were not working when we checked in. They did credit us one day of "resort fees" for our trouble, but still, handing out pool towels and providing chairs and the occasional Zumba/Yoga class doesn't make it a "resort" worthy of a fee to begin with. The pools were very nice. Regular pool with water slide, hot tub, salt water pool and sand beach are terrific. Our room was nice, the bed was comfy and the balcony was outstanding. I'd definitely recommend springing for the ocean view rooms - totally worth it. Without that I would have given this hotel a much lower review. The other oddity of the room was that the closet was part of the bathroom, literally. There was the closet/fridge/coffee maker area, then a glass enclosed shower and toilet and sink all together in one open space. I'd have preferred a little distance and privacy - at the very least for the toilet. I will definitely travel back to San Juan, but I wouldn't stay here again. The food was pretty terrible at the two restaurants we ate at - Cafe Caribe and the beach grill.

Room Tip: Ocean view is the way to go!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,077 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!