“Clean Room w/ Amazing View”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #22 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I stayed here in a Ocean View Balcony room. The room was very clean and the view was just breathtaking! The bathroom was top notch. Beautiful shower and counter tops. The AC worked well, but it was still a little humid in the room. Woke up sweating during the night but I am from New England so I think it was just me getting used to the weather. Had lunch at the Cafe indoors across from casino and had the friendliest server! The food was pretty good. The attendant at the front door of the hotel was always willing to help with bags and taxis. I did not have one bad experience during my stay except the employees working at the front desk were not very sociable. It was like they were somewhat miserable. The man who assisted me at the desk wearing a shirt/tie/suit was not very friendly until I joked around and finally got a smile out of him. That was a little bit of a turn off. But after staying in PR for a few days I noticed this was how most of the Puerto Ricans were. Most gave off attitude as though they were pissed off we were there and didn't speak spanish. From the servers at restaurants around town, to the bartenders and cab drivers there was bitterness and attitude.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for ocean view. Was totally worth it.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Skimball87
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear Skimball87,

Hi there! Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am happy and grateful to read that you enjoyed your stay! I am appreciative of your comments and will make sure to share these comments with our Director of Front Office Operations as well as with Management, as we are always very attentive to all of our customer’s observations. I genuinely thank you for choosing to stay with us and I hope that if travel brings you back you choose to stay with us again. If you wish, you may contact me at michelle.burn@hilton.com; all the best,

Michelle

Write a ReviewReviews (4,935)

Reviewed 20 March 2014

We had booked this hotel for 5 nights to get a break from New York weather, but realized as soon as we arrived that it was not up to expectations. Service at reception was very unfriendly. We had booked an ocean view room, but our 3rd floor room instead overlooked a flat tarmac roof, with the ocean beyond. There was only one chair on the balcony, so we had to use the desk chair for both of us to sit outside. The WiFi was also very patchy, and we were frequently told that it didn't work from this or that particular area. The dining options were very basic, and the area around the hotel just had a few small cafes. We decided to check out, and told the hotel the next morning that we would be leaving the following day (i.e. giving them over 24 hours notice). We were then told that we had to pay an extra night's charge as a penalty for early departure, and on checkout were told that this included not only the room rate of $319, but also the 18% resort fee, even though we would not be there! Together with various taxes, Hilton charged us over $400 extra for leaving after two nights.

Room Tip: if you pay for Ocean View, ask to be as high up as possible
2  Thank ljn60763

Dear Ljn60763,

Thank you for your comments. I am sad to read that your stay was not up to standards. We do have 6 different restaurant outlets in our hotel, including the well renowned Chef Wilo Benet’s Pikayo restaurant, our family style Café Caribe, 8 Noodle Bar, Aqua Bar and Grill and a Denny’s located in the lobby level of our Lagoon Tower. I do invite you to contact me so I can investigate your comments further and share them with management. I am unable to retrieve your folio information without a confirmation number o a full name. If you wish, you may contact me at michelle.burn@hilton.com as I will be delighted to assist. Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and for providing us with the opportunity to serve you; kind regards,

Reviewed 18 March 2014

My Mother and I came to the Condado Plaza Hilton waiting the arrival of my uncle. I work in hotels so I let her pick the location hoping it was nice. The hotel lobby is bright and energetic. The staff at the front desk is a different story. While they were nice its as if you had to start the conversation. The front door how ever was a different story and everyone was prompt and friendly. The room we stayed in was not one with a view which was what we had opted for but the bathroom was far from clean. Which is honestly a pet peeve. We also dined at the café down stairs which for the price it made no sense as to why it was so horrible in the end, the rice was oily and the soup was just ok. Being Puerto Rican we weren't looking for a 5 star meal but at least get the rice and beans correct. If traveling here go down the road to the local restaurants cause it is not worth to eat at the café in this hotel. The price in the end I don't think its worth it. Things look a bit run down for a hotel at this price let alone a Hilton. Next time I will be sure to do more research. Hopefully this hotel will get its stuff together cause it has real potential.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Marisa A

Dear Marisa A,

Hi there! Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I am glad to read that you found our lobby energetic. I genuinely appreciate your comments and will ensure to share them with management as we always are looking for ways to provide excellent service to all of our guests. Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel and for providing us with the opportunity to serve. If you wish to discuss your review further please feel free to contact me as I am delighted to assist.

At your service,

Reviewed 17 March 2014

The rooms and the Lobby and Main Floor were beatuiful but we didn't get any sleep the 2 days we stayed there. We had to call the Office twice on the first day and then they sent security to our room so we could tell them where the noice was coming from. First day we stayed AC was fine second time the AC didn't work. I was really disappointed in all of the noise.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Elfida,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I appreciate your comments regarding our rooms and our lobby area being beautiful, however, I am disappointed in reading you were not able to get a deserved good night sleep. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I will investigate and share your review with our Engineering Department to ensure the A/C is not making noise and in superb order. I am very sorry and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. If you wish to discuss your review further you may contact me at michelle.burn@hilton.com, as I will be delighted to assist. Thank you for choosing to stay at The Condado Plaza Hilton and for providing us with the opportunity to serve.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stayed here only because we had some vouchers that were going to expire. We stayed here 1 night pre-cruise and booked a 2nd night post cruise (we only needed the room from 9 am-4 pm), to avoid spending 10 hours at the airport. Both times we stayed in a room across the sky bridge from the lobby which would be fine except that the elevators in that tower are constantly broken. basically from the lobby you either take a elevator or escalator to the sky bridge level, walk across the sky bridge and then have to take another elevator to your room floor. I imagine this would be an major issue for people that have mobility issues. There are 2 small elevators in that tower and one of them was stuck at level P2 for our entire stay, that leaves 1 small elevator for the whole tower to share! in the elevator that was working, not all the buttons worked, and not all of them lit up when pressed properly, so who knows if its going to stop at your floor. Alot of the time we had to wait for the elevator to come by us multiple times before we could get on because it was ALWAYS full. Moving past that issue, the bathroom is about the size of a cruise bathroom. The shower door opens outward into the tiny bathroom, which is weird. When i took a shower the whole bathroom flooded with water reaching the door to the room. took all the towels provided to mop it up. Also, my room didn't have a washcloth. Not a big deal but had to use a large hand towel to wash my face. The lobby is nice, has a cool fish tank. check in was easy and the reception people are nice. The bell men were really nice and helpful. The pool area is nice, fun little slide for kids or kids at heart. nice swim up pool bar and towel shack next to the saltwater pool. plenty of chairs and shade for everyone, I liked when they came and gave out popsicles for everyone at the pool. Nice touch. The beach is awful. SUPER small and crowded. It is also a public beach which would be fine but there isn't even enough room on the beach for the hotel guests. the water only gets about 3 feet deep, at most, so its good for little kids only. We literally couldn't find a spot to set our towels down to even use the beach. We also had a problem with the AC in our room. it was set at 65 degrees but the coolest it got was maybe 75. I think its because the balcony doors have a gap between them and the floor, so the cold air sneaks out. This used to be called the Conrad at Condado Plaza, which a Conrad hotel is 'supposed' to be an upper level Hilton. I'm not surprised they changed the name. The sad thing is it would be an OK hotel if they would update some thing and fix the elevator situation. This hotel is not up to Hilton's name and standards. It is in a good location also, near- aiport, cruise terminal, Old San Juan, Condado Area

Room Tip: Go anywhere else
3  Thank Brittany H
Reviewed 17 March 2014

we stayed across the bridge from the lobby and the elevators on that side are horrible! One of them was stuck and not working the whole time and the other one was so slow that sometimes you had to wait 20 minutes to go up or down and since it was the only one it was obviously super crowded all the time. We only stayed here because we had some vouchers that were about to expire. The room smelled musty, which wasn't that big of a deal because it is the tropics. Also the room never got very cool. the AC was set on 65 degrees but the coolest it got was maybe 75 degrees, i think its because alot of the cool air leaked out the balcony door. there is a gap between the floor and the bottom of the door. Also when i took a shower, the whole bathroom floor to the front door flooded, (and yes the shower door was shut properly). The beach area is VERY small and is also a public beach so is crowded. The water only gets about 3 feet deep. The pool area is great. fun little slide and swim up bar. has a chlorine and saltwater pool and multiple hot tubs. Plenty of lounge chairs and shade. The food from the pool bar was ok and a little on the expensive side but not too bad. Loved that they came around with free popsicles for everyone at the pool, nice touch. The service from the bell guys and reception was great. Pool staff service was also wonderful. We will never stay here again, and its too bad because if they would fix some of these issues it could be a nice hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Brittany H,

Thank you for selecting our hotel for your recent trip to our Island. We sincerely apologize if you were disappointed by your guest room. The feedback you've provided will help us to improve and ensure every guest has an exceptional experience and your comments will be shared with Management. I appreciate your kind words regarding the level of service you received from various teams during your stay and will be sharing this with them. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and for providing us the opportunity to be of service. Should you wish to discuss your review further you may contact me at michelle.burn@hilton.com.

Best,

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Had an excellent experience at the Condado Plaza Hilton! We booked 5 nights in an Oceanfront Room. The room was excellent and the view was even better. Cannot be beat! The pool and pool bar were great. They have a small waterside that was a ton of fun (even better after a few Medalla lights!) The beach is a bit small, however the best beaches are out of the tourist zones anyway. The Denny's was very good for a quick breakfast before a day at El Yunque or Luquillo Beach. Cafe Caribe was very good as well. Aqua (restaurant at the pool) had good food as well. Excellent trip!

Room Tip: Definitely splurge on the oceanfront room
2  Thank Jesse M
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear Jesse M,

Hi there! Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at our property! I am very pleased to read that you had an excellent trip. Should travel bring you back to our lovely island (perhaps next time you can visit the west coast) feel free to contact me. Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel and for providing us with the opportunity to serve.

At your service always,