“Paradise vacation!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Paradise vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

We had a wonderful stay at the Condado Plaza! The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful at all times. The Hotel itself was a beauty and the rooms very comfortable. Although I know the hotel is pretty old, you wouldn't know, it look slike it has been remodeled recently since everything was very nice looking. We found the room quiet so not sure what some of the other reviews were talking about. We were on the 6th floor and away from the elevator which we always request to stay away from the noise. We had a view of the ocean and it was breathtaking! It was my 8 year old's birthday that week and she said will always remember this trip. Some good memories here! We arrived very late so I had emailed Michelle Burn to ask her to please look into our reservations to make sure we didnt have any problems after such a long day of travel. She was very helpful and accommodating and check in went very smooth :).
Location is fantastic, lots of places to eat on Ashford Ave for all budgets. Also took a taxi to Old San Juan for $3 per person. Thank you so much Michelle! We definitely recommend this hotel and hope to come back soon!

Room Tip: Ask to stay away from elevators or outside doors. High floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,006)
ATL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

My family of 5 stayed here for a Spring Break vacation and decided to splurge on the Oceanfront Residence Penthouse that rents for $919 per night since it was the only unit that would allow us all to stay in one room without having a roll away bed. Oh, and don't forget to add the $150 per night resort fee and $20+/night for parking. It is a 3000 sqft - 3 bed/3.5 bath/sleeps 8 penthouse. However, FYI - it has NO Access to the outside whatsoever, no balcony, rooftop patio etc.

THE UNIT - It just felt very lived in. The floor to ceiling windows were all smudged, clearly not wiped down in ages...The unit had a kitchen but no cookware; however they did bring us some halfway through our stay...much of the furniture was stained and old. The electrical was poorly managed - the lights were either not working or flickering in many rooms (FYI you can't put fluorescents on a dimmer switch). The worst part was the thermostat - it was freezing in the unit even though it was set at 75. We did not come to Puerto Rico to shiver.

THE SERVICE - Although the front desk staff were friendly the housekeeping/maintenance was terrible. We called several times to clear up a number of issues only to be transferred to a manager who seemed to never be around. We were told we would get call-backs several times with no response. We called multiple times for them to bring us the cookware that was supposed to be in the unit and were repeatedly told it would "be up shortly" even though it took two days. There are 3 thermostats in the unit and none were working properly - no one came to repair this the whole time.

THE COMMON AREA - the pool was okay and even though it is open 24hrs you cannot get clean towels after 630pm since the pool concierge is gone! You also cannot pick up towels for your family members, they all have to be there to get a wristband. There is no beach other than a small man-made public access area that is on the lagoon.

LOCATION - the hotel is located on a spit of land just before the bridge that connects to Old San Juan so it is easy to access Isla Verde to the East and Old San Juan to the West. It feels a bit more isolated than the area up Avenida Ashford near the Marriott. The beach access is mediocre at best compared to other parts of Isla Verde.

SUMMARY -
Pros: Nice view of the ocean and central location, friendly front desk
Cons: Penthouse Residence is a joke for the price, common areas are mediocre, service and maintenance were terrible. This place clearly runs on "island time" and customer service ultimately suffers.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the penthouse residence
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank sanktank7
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear sanktank7

Hi there! Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We appreciate your feedback and for selecting our hotel for your recent family vacation. We sincerely apologize if you were disappointed by our Penthouse Suite. Your comments will help us to ensure we're providing the best information on our guest rooms prior to guest arrival. Our maintenance as well as our Housekeeping team has been made aware of the HVAC issue and will be doing their best to inspect and repair this, including other items mentioned above.

The level of service you received is not typical of our hotel and we've brought this to the attention of the appropriate to ensure we're always providing the highest level of service possible. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will consider our hotel again in the future. Should you wish to discuss your review further you may contact me directly at michelle.burn@hilton.com.
Thank you for choosing tyo stay at The Condado Plaza Hilton and for providing us with the opportunity to serve.

At your service; best,

Travellers are raving about these San Juan hotels

Chelmsford, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

I stayed here for business a few weeks ago and wasn't overly impressed. The beach is incredibly small (and public), with worn out lounge chairs that make you feel as if you're going to break them if you lay on them. The rooms were nice, but during my stay there someone let him or herself into my room (I'm assuming a member of the hotel staff) while I was in there and I had a "do not disturb" sign on the door. It was around 7pm and I had checked in a few hours before, so I knew it wasn't housekeeping and I did not receive an apology or explanation as to why that happened. The individual just closed the door and left when I called out. The food at the restaurants was nothing special either, but it wasn't bad. I stayed in a lagoon view room, which did offer incredible sunset/sunrise views. The gym was fairly well equipped too, with cardio machines and free weights, including kettlebells. All in all, I'd say it's a little overpriced for average quality, but it was okay for a short stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Shannon R
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

After reading several reviews, I booked the Condado Plaza Hilton because the rooms looked more "Caribbean" than the other hotels. Room was exactly like the photo. Every staff member of this hotel is pleasant and helpful. Pikayo restaurant was beyond outstanding. The variety of pools, restaurants and lounge areas was great- you could always find a "perfect spot". The beach was ok- didn't realize until we got there that it was a public beach- we love the activity of family and kids so the beach was a good experience and, again, were able to find a good spot for ourselves. The hotel was perfectly located- $12-$15 cab ride to Old San Juan. I would recommend this hotel and would return myself!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Jean M,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I am very happy to read that your stay was enjoyable and more importantly, you felt that every staff member was pleasant and helpful. We would love to have the pleasure of welcoming you once more at our beloved Condado Plaza Hilton. Should travel bring you back to Puerto Rico please feel free to contact me at michelle.burn@hilton.com as I will be delighted to assist. Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and for providing us with the opportunity to be of assistance.

Best,

atlbride09
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

My Father-in-Law's boat was docked here, so my husband and I decided to take a last minute trip to go visit him before he moved on to his next island. We had been eyeing flights to see when they would drop and they ended up going up to an outrageous amount (from $350 pp to $1,000pp), so I researched and found a deal that not only included 2 flights, but 3 nights at the Condado Plaza, as well, which was a cheaper option than just 1 flight at the outrageously expensive price. I wasn't really sure what to expect since this hotel seems to get mixed reviews, but it turned out to be really nice! The bathroom looks like it was recently upgraded and we had an oceanfront room that gave us awesome views out onto the water. My only complaint would be all of the miscellaneous fees. We were charged another $270 when we checked out for resort fees and taxes. It would be nice if these were built into the cost of the room because a very reasonable hotel rate, all of a sudden turned into a very expensive last minute getaway. The beach was very small, but the pool area was very nice. We brought our 8 month old son with us and they had a crib brought right up to our room, which looked almost brand new. There is a Starbucks right in front of the hotel and a Denny's inside the hotel, which is nice. The Condado area is lovely with lots of nice shops and restaurants nearby within walking distance.

Room Tip: Room upgrades are $30 per day and they do not do complimentary upgrades even when asked.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank atlbride09
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear atlbride09,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am glad to know that it was a great last minute getaway! I am glad to know that your stay was nice. It is very possible that when you booked your flight and stay the resort fee and government tax were not included, this fee (resort charge) is charged upon check-out and it varies if you book your stay directly through the hotel’s website, or through a third party booking site. I do greatly appreciate your comments and suggestions, as always, I will share them with our management staff as we are always actively listening to all of our guests’ comments, both positive and negative. Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us, and most importantly, for providing us with the opportunity to serve. Should travel bring you back to our sunny Puerto Rico please feel free to contact me directly at michelle.burn@hilton.com.

At your service,

Naperville, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

Stayed for our 20th. View was awesome!! Sat out on our balcony every morning & night to listen and watch the waves crash. Felix was our waiter at breakfast and he was awesome. The best coffee on our trip. Room & bathroom were large and clean. Staff was excellent!! All were helpful & friendly. Walked every night to restaurants. Only complaint was bed uncomfortable & vent above bed could here people partying late at night. I would recommend this hotel. We stayed 3 nights :)

Room Tip: Ocean view a must!!!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Shari A
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Shari A,

Let me start by wishing you a belated Happy 20th Anniversary! I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your feedback, and for providing us with the opportunity to serve. I am at your service should you wish to come visit us again! My email is michelle.burn@hilton.com.

Again thank you, and we hope to see you soon!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

I up graded to an ocean view & it saved the day. They Had to replace my broken air conditioner twice, fix a tripped plug, correct other room defaults but couldn't fix the non connect to the internet & not really apologized for housekeeping pounding on my door at 6:30am when there was no reason for this & numerous other issues. Food is good at the Pikayo but other eateries not so. Beach tiny & public. Pools only ok. Not much of beauty here . Don't really get a feel for the island. Casino goes 24/7.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Margaret S,

Hi there, thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your upgrade to the ocean side. I am sorry to read that you experienced various issues with your room’s HVAC and housekeeping’s early knock on the door. Thank you for your comments as I will look into detail with our management staff to continue improving. I truly appreciate your feedback and I sincerely want to thank you for choosing to stay with us. I am at your service should you wish to discuss your review further, you may contact me at michelle.burn@hilton.com. Always the best,

At your service,

The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,077 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!