“Beautiful view but front desk staff could be more organized”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #24 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
New York City, New York
“Beautiful view but front desk staff could be more organized”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 5 days in the beginning of March 2014. Upon arrival to the hotel, the check-in line was incredibly long. The check-in staff seemed very flustered. My husband and I were informed that our room would not be available until 4 p.m. so we had a chance to explore the grounds while our room was being prepared. When our room was finally ready, we were advised that we would not be getting a room in the main building, but rather in the building attached on the other side of the street. When we entered the lagoon view room, it was small, cramped and not well-kept. We immediately requested an upgrade to move to the city room in the main building. That room was more spacious, open and inviting.
The hotel is located on beautiful Ashford Avenue. There are many restaurants within walking distance, and there is no shortage of nightlife and fun along the strip. San Juan is a beautiful city with lots of history and culture to be explored.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and upgrade to the city view. Depending on your room location, you could have...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank M2Harrison
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear M2Harrison,

Thank you for your review! I am sorry to read that you experienced a long check-in line. Rooms on the Laguna Tower are different in sizes compared to the standard city and ocean vista rooms; this all depends on the room type you originally booked. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your room in the ocean tower and that you found it open and inviting. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback and most importantly, for providing us with the opportunity to serve! I am at your service should you wish to stay with us in the near future; you may contact me at michelle.burn@hilton.com.

Best,

Michelle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,023)
Ankeny, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights after a cruise. The front desk people were
friendly but be aware that the lobbry can get busy with some very long lines
for everyone to visit the front desk. We had to wait for our room until after 4pm.
You can leave your luggage at the concierge desk while you wait.

The lobby area itself is nice and I saw many kids enjoying the large fish tank.
There are two elevators in the lobby area, and conveniently another elevator
down the hall at the pool area.

The hotel itself is divided into two building. The ocean tower and lagoon tower.
We were in the ocean tower, but our room face the lagoon tower.

The hotel is very much a resort style hotel, with several places to eat in the
hotel including a Dennys. The pool area has a bar, several pools and a large hot tub.
The pool area was clean, and there is a small beach next to the pool if you wish to
swim in the lagoon or just enjoy the sand. The employees in the pool area were not
friendly at all and a few times the girls were clearly bothered by us interrupting their
personal conversations to help a guest.

There is a laundry facility in the pool that needs a little TLC but was functional
with 4 washers and 4 dryers. The price of a wash included detergent.

Our rooms (we had two) were nice and relatively large for a hotel room and had both
tile and carpet. The rooms and bedding were clean, the beds and pillows were comfortable.
There are plenty of outlets in both the bed and TV areas. This is huge if you have a CPAP,
or a family with multiple devices that need to be charged.

The bathrooom is just odd. It was very large which is nice, but the closet, wet bar,
fridge, and safe are actually in the bathroom. The door to the bathroom is 2 sliding doors
that have no lock. Also when the doors are closed there is a pretty large gap between
the door and the wall where someone can easily see into the bathroom from either side.
One really nice thing is the room safe has an electrical outlet inside of it, so you can
charge you phone while keeping it locked up. We were on the 8th floor and the day we
left I was up at 5am to shower before an early flight. It took several minutes to get even
warm water, though once the cold water was cleared from the pipes there was plenty
of hot water and decent water pressure.

Taxis wait across the street by Dennys to be summoned by employees. There was never a long wait, but the employees aren't very good and serving guests on a first come first served basis. (Taxi service in PR is priced by zone, regardless of how many people in the taxi or how long it takes.)

There are a few shops and a lot of restaurants within walking distance. The area is safe
to walk in at night. There is also a starbucks next door.

I would stay here again, but I would definitely look for a deal and not take the advertised price.
The advertised price plus taxes, resort fees, and housekeeping gratuities (<--yes, you read that right) price this to the point that most who are willing to pay that amount will be expecting a much higher level of service and maintenance that is currently being offered.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ewenix
Dear ewenix,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid review about your recent stay at our hotel. I genuinely appreciate your feedback and will most certainly share them with management as we are always actively listening to all of our guest’s comments. Thank you for providing us with the opportunity to serve, and I invite you to contact me should travel bring you back to our beloved Puerto Rico. You may contact me directly at michelle.burn@hilton.com.

At your service,

Statham, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

The staff was friendly. The location was fantastic. The property was clean and maintained. The gym was great. The casino was fun. The eateries and shops throughout were very handy. Lagoon view was nice, but our bed was not comfortable and should be replaced. San Juan is a great place.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Chris K,

Thank you for your comments! I will be sure to share your comments with our Housekeeping Team. We are very appreciative of your comments and for the opportunity you have provided us to be of service. If travel brings you back to our sunny island, please feel free to contact me directly at michelle.burn@hilton.com; we will be delighted to welcome you again.

All the best,

Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

We had a wonderful stay at the Condado Plaza! The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful at all times. The Hotel itself was a beauty and the rooms very comfortable. Although I know the hotel is pretty old, you wouldn't know, it look slike it has been remodeled recently since everything was very nice looking. We found the room quiet so not sure what some of the other reviews were talking about. We were on the 6th floor and away from the elevator which we always request to stay away from the noise. We had a view of the ocean and it was breathtaking! It was my 8 year old's birthday that week and she said will always remember this trip. Some good memories here! We arrived very late so I had emailed Michelle Burn to ask her to please look into our reservations to make sure we didnt have any problems after such a long day of travel. She was very helpful and accommodating and check in went very smooth :).
Location is fantastic, lots of places to eat on Ashford Ave for all budgets. Also took a taxi to Old San Juan for $3 per person. Thank you so much Michelle! We definitely recommend this hotel and hope to come back soon!

Room Tip: Ask to stay away from elevators or outside doors. High floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
ATL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

My family of 5 stayed here for a Spring Break vacation and decided to splurge on the Oceanfront Residence Penthouse that rents for $919 per night since it was the only unit that would allow us all to stay in one room without having a roll away bed. Oh, and don't forget to add the $150 per night resort fee and $20+/night for parking. It is a 3000 sqft - 3 bed/3.5 bath/sleeps 8 penthouse. However, FYI - it has NO Access to the outside whatsoever, no balcony, rooftop patio etc.

THE UNIT - It just felt very lived in. The floor to ceiling windows were all smudged, clearly not wiped down in ages...The unit had a kitchen but no cookware; however they did bring us some halfway through our stay...much of the furniture was stained and old. The electrical was poorly managed - the lights were either not working or flickering in many rooms (FYI you can't put fluorescents on a dimmer switch). The worst part was the thermostat - it was freezing in the unit even though it was set at 75. We did not come to Puerto Rico to shiver.

THE SERVICE - Although the front desk staff were friendly the housekeeping/maintenance was terrible. We called several times to clear up a number of issues only to be transferred to a manager who seemed to never be around. We were told we would get call-backs several times with no response. We called multiple times for them to bring us the cookware that was supposed to be in the unit and were repeatedly told it would "be up shortly" even though it took two days. There are 3 thermostats in the unit and none were working properly - no one came to repair this the whole time.

THE COMMON AREA - the pool was okay and even though it is open 24hrs you cannot get clean towels after 630pm since the pool concierge is gone! You also cannot pick up towels for your family members, they all have to be there to get a wristband. There is no beach other than a small man-made public access area that is on the lagoon.

LOCATION - the hotel is located on a spit of land just before the bridge that connects to Old San Juan so it is easy to access Isla Verde to the East and Old San Juan to the West. It feels a bit more isolated than the area up Avenida Ashford near the Marriott. The beach access is mediocre at best compared to other parts of Isla Verde.

SUMMARY -
Pros: Nice view of the ocean and central location, friendly front desk
Cons: Penthouse Residence is a joke for the price, common areas are mediocre, service and maintenance were terrible. This place clearly runs on "island time" and customer service ultimately suffers.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the penthouse residence
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank sanktank7
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear sanktank7

Hi there! Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We appreciate your feedback and for selecting our hotel for your recent family vacation. We sincerely apologize if you were disappointed by our Penthouse Suite. Your comments will help us to ensure we're providing the best information on our guest rooms prior to guest arrival. Our maintenance as well as our Housekeeping team has been made aware of the HVAC issue and will be doing their best to inspect and repair this, including other items mentioned above.

The level of service you received is not typical of our hotel and we've brought this to the attention of the appropriate to ensure we're always providing the highest level of service possible. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will consider our hotel again in the future. Should you wish to discuss your review further you may contact me directly at michelle.burn@hilton.com.
Thank you for choosing tyo stay at The Condado Plaza Hilton and for providing us with the opportunity to serve.

At your service; best,

Travellers are raving about these San Juan hotels

Chelmsford, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

I stayed here for business a few weeks ago and wasn't overly impressed. The beach is incredibly small (and public), with worn out lounge chairs that make you feel as if you're going to break them if you lay on them. The rooms were nice, but during my stay there someone let him or herself into my room (I'm assuming a member of the hotel staff) while I was in there and I had a "do not disturb" sign on the door. It was around 7pm and I had checked in a few hours before, so I knew it wasn't housekeeping and I did not receive an apology or explanation as to why that happened. The individual just closed the door and left when I called out. The food at the restaurants was nothing special either, but it wasn't bad. I stayed in a lagoon view room, which did offer incredible sunset/sunrise views. The gym was fairly well equipped too, with cardio machines and free weights, including kettlebells. All in all, I'd say it's a little overpriced for average quality, but it was okay for a short stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Shannon R
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

After reading several reviews, I booked the Condado Plaza Hilton because the rooms looked more "Caribbean" than the other hotels. Room was exactly like the photo. Every staff member of this hotel is pleasant and helpful. Pikayo restaurant was beyond outstanding. The variety of pools, restaurants and lounge areas was great- you could always find a "perfect spot". The beach was ok- didn't realize until we got there that it was a public beach- we love the activity of family and kids so the beach was a good experience and, again, were able to find a good spot for ourselves. The hotel was perfectly located- $12-$15 cab ride to Old San Juan. I would recommend this hotel and would return myself!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Jean M,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I am very happy to read that your stay was enjoyable and more importantly, you felt that every staff member was pleasant and helpful. We would love to have the pleasure of welcoming you once more at our beloved Condado Plaza Hilton. Should travel bring you back to Puerto Rico please feel free to contact me at michelle.burn@hilton.com as I will be delighted to assist. Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and for providing us with the opportunity to be of assistance.

Best,

#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,111 reviews
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!