“Cool hotel, great location”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #24 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Cool hotel, great location”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I thought the hotel decor was very cool....kind of retro/mod. The pool and hot tub were great and the small private beach was nice. The casino was a lot of fun, and we really enjoyed the restaurants on the 2nd floor.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank M P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,046)
Seattle
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Actually, I would give this hotel 3.5 if I could. My first impression of the room was not great. The style is what I call "Latin Contemporary" which is not my favorite, especially the red accent wall. I don't think red is a very relaxing color but the room was spacious and the bathroom, although a bit of an odd configuration with the glass shower in the middle, was plenty big for two people. There's a big sliding door and a small patio. Overall, very comfortable and I warmed up to the decor during my stay.

The service was a bit odd to me. I'm thinking it's a cultural thing? First, the housekeeping was good but who knows when they will come. Several days I just gave up, as it was after 5pm and they still had not come to clean the room. When they did come, they did a good job. The service at the pool was also a bit weird. At first I thought they were not interested in serving me, then I realized that they did not appear to approach anyone to see if they wanted a drink or food. Once I figured out that you had to wave them down to get anything, I was less frustrated and they cheerfully brought me whatever I asked for. Overall, I found the staff very friendly and helpful.

The pool area is nice and I especially liked the salt water pool. There is a safe lagoon to swim in but watch out for sea urchins on the rocks. Pikayo restaurant was very good but spendy. The breakfast in the mornings was good and staff were lovely.

The area around the hotel has several restaurants and bars within walking distance and Starbucks is next door. There are also some high end shops just a short walk away. The area in general looks like it was hit hard by the recession but seemed a reasonably safe neighborhood and a pretty relaxing spot to unwind after a day of stomping around Old San Juan.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SuzyQ62
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This is a beautiful hotel and location, but the service was terrible and not nearly up to Hilton standards. I stayed at this hotel many years ago before it was a Hilton and the experience was actually better back then ... I would recommend the Caribe Hilton for any Hilton fans, this hotel has been neglected

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rich B
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Rich B,

Thank you for your review of your recent experience at our hotel. We’re very sorry that you encountered an unacceptable level of service. We do our best to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. I will address your comments with our management staff and hope that next time you’re in the area; you’ll visit us again and experience a higher level of customer service. If you wish to discuss your review further please feel free to contact at michelle.burn@hilton.com. Thank you for staying with us and I am at your service should you need anything.

Dallas, United States
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The hotel is really beautiful and has great views of the reef and two great pools. But the service here was horrible. No one went out of their way to be friendly like at other Hiltons and waiter at the pool ignored me. When my order finally came it was wrong, so he brought me the check. He missed out on a great opportunity to upsell or make a tip.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Hotel rooms can use an update and the area between the towers immediately next to the hotel needs some city maintenance but overall the hotel was OK. The lagoon side pool was nice and quiet if you want to get away from the crowds. The Pikayo restaurant worth all the buzz, Top Chef worthy, and one of the best meals I have had. I chose to order a bunch of apps - creative and delicious. My martini was healthy and perfect.

The lagoon side tower elevator bank always had one elevator not working at all or it would take you to floors you did not want to go to (up or down) before making it to your floor. That needs to be worked on, as a full hotel with one working elevator is not cool and can spoil plans waiting long periods of time.

Room Tip: Lagoon side tower for a quieter stay. Nice view of the lagoon from that side.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Norwood, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Great location in the Condado area of San Juan. You can walk to a lot great restaurants and bars in the neighborhood. There is also a great pool area a with swim up bar with and a small beach that is shared with the general public. Definitely worth checking out!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Poli M,

Hi There! Thank you for your review! I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for choosing to stay at The Condado Plaza Hilton!

At your service,

Dallas
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel on our first night in San Juan. The hotel is beautiful in terms of decor. The room was renovated, spacious, and vibrant in its red color and coordinating sofa and sheets. The bathroom was very modern and the shower was encased in glass and was centered in the middle. Least to say, this hotel spared no expense in making sure the property was well decorated. Unfortunately, the service was extremely poor. We called to get bathrobes and towels, but no one ever came. We called a second time and no one picked up the phone. We tried a third time and were told the items were on there way, but again, they never showed. The next morning we asked for a late checkout, and were rudely told that there would be no late check out and that we should not have asked for that. I'm unsure if it was because it was a busy holiday weekend, but with such beautiful rooms, the hotel now needs to update their customer service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank kidic
Dear kidic,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I am disappointed to read that the customer service you encountered was not to standards. Please accept my most sincere apologies; I will be sure to share your comments with our Management Staff to ensure this does not happen again. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments, but most importantly, for allowing us with the opportunity to be of service. If you wish to discuss your review further please feel free to contact me directly via email at michelle.burn@hilton.com.

At your service; kind regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!