“Great services”

Ranked #24 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great services”
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I enjoyed ourselves at The Condado. The services were great and very helpful on finding the best deals for tourist attractions. Plus a walk to the beach and a great breakfast spot right by the water was a plus. This

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,046)
Lake County, Illinois
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We had an ocean view room. The interior was fine although I would have preferred something more than just one easy chair in addition to the king bed. Also - the AC couldn't be adjusted to anything warmer than 73 degrees. We like it a little warmer than that so we kept having to turn the AC on and off. The staff were very good. The pool area was fine, although if you want a real resort feel, you should go to the Hilton Caribe. The Café Caribe has very little atmosphere, but good food. We stayed at the Condado Plaza because I had a meeting to attend at the Caribe but it was full. The 10 minute walk between the two is pleasant.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We had very good memories of this properties, however under the Hilton Management the property looks cheap, run down and outdated. The service is inexistent in most of the hotel areas including the hotel controlled food and beverage. Also plan your check out, since it will take good 20 minutes to do so.

Sorry to see an icon so poorly managed

Room Tip: The ocean views are great, but the decor is tasteless.
1 Thank 597RafaelG
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I came to this hotel at 7th of June just for a night, it was 7 pm, but the room had not been ready.
They asked me to wait for an hour, but after that the room still had not been ready. Also they took my money from credit card, but there was another card in reservation to pay. When I came back in 2 weeks for a night they took my money from the credit card again. Meanwhile, the rooms with ocean view were very good.

1 Thank Yana S
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 June 2014

All that you've read here is accurate - The Condado Hilton is a good hotel on Ashford Ave (one of the "strips" of PR). The front desk staff was very nice, as well as the rest of the staff I encountered. My bed was comfortable and there was plenty of space in the room. The concierge was very helpful and give us great restaurant and excursion suggestions. The pool areas were great (there are 3 pools) and even though there were families with children at the hotel, if you want a child-less pool, you can find one. The pool service was very good too - loved the mofongo dishes! There are plenty of restaurants to chose from in the hotel and the lobby-bars are good places to hang out. I loved the free and strong wifi access!

While most of the rooms have a balcony, we didn't use ours because it was dirty (very sandy, grimy) and uncomfortable to relax. Also, there is little insulation in the hotel - you can hear everything in the hallways, in the rooms next door as well as in the bathroom of your room (while our room had beautiful bathroom doors, you could hear everything).

Overall good stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank whosaidso8
Newport, Kentucky, USA
Reviewed 24 June 2014

There is very little that I like about this hotel. The rooms and the property are clean and nice. I am nit picking a little here. But given the choice on the San Juan Hilton or Caribe Hilton a block away, this hotel comes in third.

The rooms are dark and need more lighting. They work, but not as nice as the Caribe Hilton just a block away. There is a tiny beach. It works to get in the water, but not to walk on the beach. I don't like that I check in and they give me a ticket to get my 2 water bottles when I check in; I then take the ticket to the bar and he gives me my water. Small hassle, but a hassle, and do I tip the bartender? When I depart, I also get a continental breakfast. The Caribe Hilton and other hotels either give me a ticket or it is already free. Either way, it is easy, and the breakfast is good. At this Hilton, I get something like $7.00. Also, it is a sit down service and I have to wait for the server (never fast). Next I wait for the bill to sign for it. Finally, I have to go down to the front desk and check out all over again. Then to top it off, if I don't stop, they don't take it off of the bill. Then I have to call and correct it The buffet is much easier and quicker. Also, you've got airplanes flying over the hotel early in the morning.

Again, it is a clean property and OK. But if you're spending the premium for the Hilton, I'd stay at the Caribe or San Juan Hilton. Otherwise, stay at the Condado Doubletree, or the Embassy Suites or Hampton in Isle Verde and save your money. Embassy Suites is very nice and a nice beach is 2 blocks away.

Room Tip: Pay more and get an ocean view. The view on the other building is nondescript. But really, stay at...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I was apprehensive after some of the negative reviews I read before going, but I have to say I was very impressed. I should mention that I don't have that much experience with luxury hotels and it definitely doesn't have the same luxury factor as some high end hotels, but I really can't think of a reason not to rate it well. It was very comfortable, and very nice.

Service: Excellent. Our room was unfortunately not ready when we arrived, but the staff was quick to offer us a $50 voucher for any restaurant or bar in the hotel while we waited the ~30 minutes or so for it to be ready. Maybe not the most organized greeting, but I think they more than made up for it. The housekeeping staff were very quick to clean our room as soon as we left and it was always in great condition when we returned.

Rooms: We were on the city view side with a great view of the lagoon, and there was nothing dated or unclean about our room. It was very nice and the bed was extremely comfortable, while the light blocking curtains really did their job as well. The bathroom was nice. We had no issues with the functionality of items in the room.

Gym: Didn't really use it, but it looked clean and well maintained. Not big, but had a few options.

Food: Lots of options, from casual to fine dining and bar options as well. Plenty of ocean views and patios. Service was always nice and friendly, except once at the pool restaurant. Maybe they were busy, but we got lousy service there.

Pools / Ocean: The beach area was unspectacular, just a small area. There were at least a couple of pool areas though, and they were nice and clean. Apparently there were some paddleboards and kayaks to rent, but we instead went to a place next door that was within 5 minute walking distance. Paddleboarding on the lagoon was awesome!

Area: If you're looking for a great beach, this is not the best place I guess. However, the area is great. Condado itself is full of restaurants and bars (so many of them were great) and activity. We enjoyed walking up and down Ashford Ave. It's also about a 45 minute walk from Old San Juan. I wouldn't recommend the walk if you don't enjoy walking and exploring (there are buses and taxis that are apparently very convenient) but we really liked the walking aspect, and made our way to town that way just about every day. Being able to do that was a huge plus in my opinion.

Extras: There's a car rental place built into the hotel, and it's really easy to rent a car on a whim, which we did. One area of the hotel is roped off into a casino area. Can't rate that part, but it was always full of people.

Overall, I would absolutely go back to this area and probably even to this hotel. Really try to get a cityview room, I think it makes a huge difference because the other option looks to be just facing the other half of the hotel complex.

Room Tip: Cityview has a really nice view over the lagoon.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!