“I want to wake up to this view every morning”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #23 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
New York City, New York
“I want to wake up to this view every morning”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed here one night last week while doing a west-to-east trip along the northern coast of Puerto Rico. We have also stayed here previously. I wanted to return because the view from the balcony was stunning and I want to wake up to that every morning. To make a cup of coffee (not great coffee, but passible) in the in-room coffee maker, sit on the balcony, and just relax before starting the day is pretty close to ideal. (Maybe better coffee would help!)

You can definitely walk to Old San Juan if you've got good shoes and some sunscreen, although it's probably about three miles. There are also a ton of good restaurants along Avenida Ashford. I'd recommend staying away from the breakfast options at the hotel.

The bed was clean and comfortable and the rest of the room amenities were great. I just wish they would switch to a body wash without the plastic microbeads, which are becoming a major source of water pollution.

Finally, when we stayed here last year, our original room was right next to a room with a crying baby and parents who yelled at their crying baby. We know this because the sound travelled easily, especially since it was a connecting room (of course the doors connecting us were never opened). The front desk staff was exceedingly kind and switched our room right away, but beware of that interesting noise feature.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jen P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,068)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Average hotel, nothing to write home about. The room was clean and our room service woman was the sweetest old woman we met! The shower is tiny, and there are no microwaves.

Beware: the main pool bar is the worst service you will ever receive! The waitresses were great and far more attentive than the bartenders... Be ready to wait a good 15-20 minutes for service. Over all people were friendly, but there are several better options in the area

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jaimie M
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I stayed from Saturday July 12 to Wednesday July 16. I went with my girlfriend for her birthday. I was here in October 2013 with my husband and wanted to see how it was in the summer season. First let me say they treated me even better. Since this was my second time and because of my first review they upgraded. First let me give a big thank you to Ms. Carla Vazquez. We communicated by email and she pre assigned a room for me. It was ocean view which was amazing and the bathroom was beautiful. I received a welcome package and even a welcome card. Our room wasn't ready until after 4 but that was fine since we arrived around 12 so we changed and went to the beach and pool. On Saturday the pool reminds you of a resort with a swim up bar and music blaring. The weekends are definitely crowded but fun. We did not eat at the resorts. Since you are within walking distance of everything we ate at the local restaurants. No Denny's for us. The beach is shared with the locals but that's not a probably. I do recommend wearing water shoes in the beach since it's very rocky especially if you go out far. They have a casino if you're into gambling. My only complaint is there needs to be more things to do at night. Maybe a club or lounge so you don't have to go out. We were given a late checkout (4pm) since we had a late flight out and you can print your boarding passes in the hotel lobby. I would definitely return. Vacation is what you make it. I see a lot of negative reviews but you know summer is a high travel season and sometimes patience is needed. My girl had fun and I met some nice people. And one more note we had much fun on the water slide, adults and all and we didn't have to wait long at all!!!

Room Tip: Definitely ocean view, nothing else and 6fl and above!!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank sexysag1969
Crofton, Maryland
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Overall, I rate this hotel as average and nothing exciting.

Good:
* Location in Condado was excellent. Ten minutes from airport and old San Juan. Easy walking to restaurants, night life, and shopping.
* Excellent service: housekeeping was very good
* Room was quiet
* Pool had a slide but it was for small kids and had a long line
* 24 hour Dennys in the lobby
* Hotel restaurant has a great view of the ocean with good but expensive food

Bad:
* Bathroom was small and had mold. Not a little mold that could be wiped away but a 4X4 area of the ceiling blackness.
* No microwave
* Room refrigerator was loud
* No newspaper
* Pool area was boring
* Checkin took a long time with the front desk having to keep apologizing for the slow computer and the confusion
* Concierge desk in the front was too busy looking at there iPhones to help anyone

Room Tip: This hotel is between the ocean and the lagoon so most rooms have a view.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MDTraveler2010
Reviewed 9 August 2014

From all the "hidden charges," to the lack luster staff/service and the "Included Breakfast," that never was, this was the most disappointing stay my family has ever had. Our room had a great view.... but with a hard bed, a AC unit that made Off & On noises and a shower head that consistently dripped, the view was the only thing I can say positive. I had daily issues just getting towel service to the room, and when I tried to call down to the front desk/guest service/maid service, no one ever answered the phones. I had to go down to the front desk to always speak with someone (what's the point in having a phone in the room if no one on the other end is going to answer?) The best thing I can say about this hotel is that it had great proximity to other, nicer hotels/beaches.

Room Tip: make sure no conventions are going on when you bring your family.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank John L
TN etc
Reviewed 8 August 2014

When I last visited this Condado area hotel it was the Conrad San Juan, a Hilton property. It was exceptional and the service was amazing. That entire visit was extraordinary and smiles everywhere.. Now with a name change or brand redo; it is NOT SO GOOD! None of the same positive experiences during this vacation.

Issues abound, from having to wait 2 hours when checking in (after 9pm) as the room was reassigned to another guest, to the towels with holes, and floors not cleaned. It was a Disappointing stay.

I even asked to pay for an upgrade, and was told it would be ready to see at 2pm. I didn't get a call until after 8pm…Time is definitely no concern to these folks!
As a Hilton frequent guest(more than 100 nights per year) I will say, this is the worst experience I've had in 15 years.

I will not come back there, but my feelings for HILTON are still good, as one BAD experience doesn't make for a bad company. I just hope Hilton reviews this property, and does what they can be bring back the honesty, smiles and some new towels!!! :)
Thanks so much!

Room Tip: No advice, as I'm never going back…And I'm telling friends who travel there as well, try ano...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Loren M
West Hyattsville, Maryland
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My friends and I decided to plan a nice trip to San Juan, this was our first time here and the Condado Plaza seemed to be a nice place to stay. We arrived on 7/31/14, and the problems started right at check in. Due to the phone representative's mistake on the initial booking of the room, the lady wanted to charge us an additional $400 for the extra people in each room, although we were not exceeding the legal limit of patrons per room (we had two rooms). We had to wait a few hours for our rooms to be ready, and then, when we finally got the phone call saying they were ready, we walked up to the front desk only to find out that one of the two rooms were not ready. That resulted in another long wait. Then, when we finally got into ONE room, the concierge didn't bring up all of our luggage. The oceanfront view in our rooms were breathtaking, but there was mold on our ceiling from a water leak, and the front door in one of our two rooms would not open. So, when we would head out of our rooms, all 8 of us had to come through one door. Overall, it is a nice hotel with a lot of things to do, BUT the customer service is HORRIBLE. This not only applies to the hotel, but to the Denny's and Cafe Caribe restaurants located in the hotel. Sadly, I will not be returning to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!