“Great view”

Ranked #24 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Portland, Oregon
“Great view”
Reviewed 22 December 2008

The hotel is a lot more contemporary on the inside that it looks from the street. There's an awesome reef aquarium in the front lobby, and my check in was quick and easy. I wasn't expecting an ocean view room, so I was pleasantly surprised to walk into my room on the 9th floor and see the ocean. My room had a nice balcony with a couple chairs and a table, and on my last night I left the patio door open and loved the sound of the waves breaking as I went to sleep.

The room was a little small, and the furniture is more hip than practical, but there was a decent flat screen TV and the bed was comfortable enough. I didn't do more than pass by the casino, but it looked popular enough, and the bar downstairs was decent and opens onto a big patio overlooking the ocean. The Starbucks right outside was useful in the mornings.

• Liked — The view of the ocean from my room
  • Disliked — The neighborhood is a bit dilapidated
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,058)
Huntington, New York
Reviewed 19 December 2008

We vacationed at the Condado Plaza for 10 days in early December, and were very happy to have done so. The view from the Oceanview room is absolutely magnificent, and it is definitely worth the extra cost versus staying on the Cityside.

First, the positive:
-Magnificent ocean view in room
-Contemporary rooms with modern furniture
-Two pools with excellent poolside service
- Gym with state-of-the-art equipment
- Strip House restaurant on premises is beautiful with a fantastic ocean view and excellent food and service- it was the best steak dinner we have ever had, and we are from the NY Metro area, where restaurants abound. It is somewhat expensive, though.
- Many good restaurants on Ashford Avenue within walking distance- Ropa Vieja, Anjuli Mojili, Budatai (excellent), and lots of good sushi places nearby. There is also a Chile’s on Ashford Avenue if you want a quick and inexpensive meal. The Italian restaurant at the Condado is adequate, and there is also a good view. Starbucks is just outside the front door.
-Hotel is close to Old San Juan
-Staff is efficient and friendly
-Easy, fast, polite check-in and check-out
-Any problems are quickly handled by Customer Relations Manager, Henry Neumann- we had a noisy air conditioner the first night, and complained twice to the front desk. They immediately notified maintenance, but they did not respond. We notified Mr. Neumann, who quickly took care of it. He is quite responsive, efficient, and professional, and is an asset to the Condado Plaza. My husband had a toothache during our stay, and Mr. Neumann arranged for us to see a local dentist. He does what is takes to make your stay at the Condado pleasant and stress-free. I highly recommend contacting him should you have any problems that are not being resolved by the front desk.

Negatives
-Casino is packed almost all of the time, as it is popular with many local Puerto Ricans as well as hotel guests.
-Surrounding area has a lot of construction, and some buildings have not been finished due to poor economy.
-Odd bathroom set-up with coffeemaker and closet in bathroom and no lock on door.
-Very small beach, not really used by hotel occupants
-City-like surroundings- if you like being in a country -type, away- from-it- all setting, this hotel is not for you. However, it appears to be quite safe, with joggers going down Ashford Avenue all times of the day and night.

All in all, we liked our vacation experience, and will return to the Condado Plaza.

• Liked — the beautiful ocean views
  • Disliked — room did not have a lot of storage space in dressers
1 Thank cattom
maryland
Reviewed 18 December 2008

My husband and I traveled to Puerto Rico on December 8th and it was great the people at the Condado Casino Plaza Resort Hotel was absolutely wonderful and friendly.The hotel food and shopping is over priced but thats the way it is.Be sure to travel down to Old San Juan you will have a ball.Any and everything is there.Shopping restaurants site seeing and definately make sure you go to the CORNE Port Royal cholatier Vanessa Cathy wer absolutely fabulous. The hotel was clean the pools were nice the gym was ok the beach was breath taking. We stayed in the Ocean View room gorgeous. We will definately be going back as a family.

• Liked — The ocean view room
  • Disliked — The expensive prices
Reviewed 16 December 2008

Stayed at theCondado Plaza Hotel & Casino, for the week of Dec. 5th. 2008
Have been there two times before. This time we were there to celebrate our Anniversary. The Hotel, has undergone alot of changes.. but afew things were overlooked. Our room was lovely, and they upgraded us to a full ocean view. While the view was great, the food at the Hotel, was very expensive. The portions were small, and left us, wondering if the portions were for "children", instead of adults. Breakfast was good.. but averaged approximately $35.00 ( including the tip) A drink at the pool, ran $8.50 to $9.00 each.. There was no extras.. and everything, had a high price. I must admit.. the service was very good. The staff were very friendly.
The outside area's need alot of improvement.. like the jacuzzi, with only 1 jet working.. The tiles around the pool, are showing alot of wear. The grounds, are kept in prestine condition, and the workers are at it.. all day long, and it shows.
There are little to no activites, to motivate the crowd.. They don't announce anything that may be going on. You have to check at the Towel Hut.. to see if anyhting is going on. That's if.. the newsletter is printed and ready to be distrubted.
We would NOT return to the Condado Plaza in the future, unless there are CHANGES made. It's expensive, and we felt.. we did not get our monies worth.
We would like to give a "special" HELLO, to Michelle, the waitress at the Pool Bar.. She was wonderful, and very attentive, to our needs. And, also, Jose Gonzalez, the Security Manager, who helped us clear up an issue with one of the security guards.
Our problem, was resolved.. quickly, and with professionlism.
Maybe.. in time, if all the changes are made, this Hotel, will be a 4 star.. but at the moment.. it's NOT.

• Liked — Room was large, and airy.
  • Disliked — No group activites for guests.
2 Thank MUSTANG SALLY02
Sydney
Reviewed 16 December 2008

I stayed at the Condado Plaza in October 2008, as part of a conference. The hotel was lovely. The location fantastic. The front desk staff very friendly and helpful - some of the concierge staff, less so. House-keeping was good - although a maid entered my room while I was sleeping at just after 7.00am...and didn't apologize. Rooms were very nice. Internet connection was frustrating and inconsistent. In fact, everything was pretty good...only one serious concern.

BEWARE the hidden charges!!! The housekeeping, taxes, gratuity, etc are all stated before I arrived, so I knew I was in for that. The charge that took me by surprise was...from check in, they held an ADDITIONAL US$100 per day (!!!!) in case of goodness knows what! This was not mentioned, or explained at any point during my stay. I stayed for over a week, just after the Global Financial Crisis hit - so my domestic currency (I'm not from the US) was taking a battering. As such, this additional charge amounted to almost $1,500.00 (in my local currency). They put a hold on this amount, which maxed out my credit card - because they also had a hold on my regular room costs. So, while I thought I had plenty of credit available, all of a sudden I didn't. This also happened to a colleague who was also attending the conference and staying in another room. In fact, if she hadn't enquired about this, then neither of us would've known about this use of our money.

I travel quite extensively and have NEVER had this kind of charge added to a room EVER! It appears to be a very dodgy practice - especially considering there is NO mini-bar in the room. So goodness knows what they expect the US$100/day is to cover!!!!

Apart from this, it's a good hotel and a good place to stay....but I'm not sure I would stay there again.

• Liked — Good location.
  • Disliked — Hidden and unexplained costs - billing my credit card in advance for US$100 per day!!!!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank majole1107
Long Beach, CA
Reviewed 15 December 2008

Stayed at the Condado Plaza for four nights in early Dec 2008. We had a large room with a nice, unobstructed view of the lagoon. Unlike other reviews, I found the reception/front desk friendly and professional. Did not eat at any of the hotel's restaurants, but there are many. Pools are nice, but the beach area is small and, upon entering the water, rather rocky. The water is calm though since you are more in a lagoon rather than the Atlantic. There are also some bridge repairs taking place adjacent to the beach and if they are driving piles for the bridge's foundation, then it can be noisy. Close to Old San Juan and other hotels/boutiques (Cartier, Gucci) on the Condado strip. Housekeeping was efficient, but not necessarily all encompasing. Bellman service was also polite and quick, but missed little things (i.e. placing luggage on luggage stand). Efficiency wise, if you self park, you have to validate the parking ticket everytime you go out. Wish they would just provide you with a special ticket that allows you to come and go as you please without having to waste time validating a ticket. Also, be aware of resort fees, island taxes, and city taxes. They will likely make up about 25-30% of your final bill.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
Laguna Beach
Reviewed 12 December 2008

I definitely would not suggest this hotel for any travelers coming in from the West Coast. After a very long and tiring trip we arrived to a very loud disco party. There was only 1 front desk person who was completely overwhelmed. It took over 20min to check in. We had already prepaid so it should have been a lot quicker, but the guests in front of us overwhelmed him. We were assured the steak house (their fine dining establishment would be open.) We arrived and they seated us only to have the manager inform us that the hostess shouldn't have done that and they were closed. He was extremely apologetic, but quite frankly it didn't help. We ate next door at the Italian restaurant where they were setting up for breakfast. The food was underwhelming to say the least. (waitress was very nice though)

When we checked in we asked if would be possible to have a later check-out. (normal is Noon and we were asking for 1 o'clock) We were told it wouldn't be a problem as the hotel wasn't full, but we would have to call in the morning and request it then. Next morning after several phone calls to get through to the front desk (we were either on hold for 5 min or no one would answer) they finally answered. Apparently he was having a bad day as well because he couldn't have been ruder!! Kept repeating that we would have to pay 50% more. Finally he relented and we got our extra hour without paying the extra $150!!

The room was clean and nice (a bit loud in the color scheme, red walls!) We had an ocean view which was quite nice (it's what we had paid for). But overall it's such a mixed bag here, not a great way to start a vacation. For the price I would say it's not worth the aggravation. Given the choice we would not recommend the hotel or stay here again.

• Liked — The view and clean modern feel
  • Disliked — Staff should have more polish for a resort of this caliber
1 Thank LagunaGypsy
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!