“Would definitely stay again”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #24 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 3 August 2009

My husband and I traveled with our 6 yr old daughter for 8 days. It was a beautiful hotel! The beach was public, however, you could never tell. Yes the beach was small, but it was enjoyable to me and my family, lots of coral off to the side to snorkel and see lots of fish. Plus they give you beach towels to use! The swim up bar was very enjoyable along with the waterslide, bartenders were very very nice and efficient even with loads of people in the pool. Yes drinks were overpriced at the pool, but what do you expect? you are in a pool getting served, the people on here complaining about the prices, you are getting served in a pool!!!! Hotel is conveniently located just right outside of Ol San Juan. We had Ocean View which was well worth the money and our balcony was private.

Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. We did book the snorkeling trip through the hotel, the price was not bad. It was a long ride to Fajardo, but it was worth having the hotel book everything. Highly recommend the snorkeling trip, all you can eat and drink, and it was an awesome time!

We went to Old San Juan and took the ferry over to the Bacardi (which is free) it was only $.50 and only a few dollars for taxi to distillery, highly worth it. they give you a free tour and two free drinks.

In all, this was a great hotel, construction on the bridge was not even noticed. Airport is close by, but with the music and all you are really not paying attention.

highly recommend! we will be coming back to this hotel again!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Belleza729
There are newer reviews for The Condado Plaza Hilton

Reviewed 2 August 2009

My friends and I stayed at the hotel. Everything was going well until all of us woke up with our bodies covered with insect bites. As we walked through the hotel, we also noticed that other guests were covered with the bites as well. This made us think that there was clearly something in the hotel. We spoke with a manager who changed our room. However, we had additional bites the following day. Not to mention, we were itching for the entire trip! It was very uncomfortable!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank ATL0000
JPadin, Director of Operations at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2009

I thank you for taking the time from your schedule to write to us about your experiences at the Hotel. All of our guest comments are of paramount importance to us.
Let me assure that our hotel is most certainly not infested. The cleanliness of our rooms and public areas is one of our top priorities. You probably got bitten by No See Um, tiny biting flies, very common in the tropics especially during the sundown hours.

If possible I would like to have more details about your stay. Please contact me via e-mail, jose.padin@conradhotels.com or call me at 787-721-1000 ext. 2016.

Saludos,

José C. Padín
Director of Operations

Reviewed 1 August 2009

The Conrad Condado Plaza was a wonderful hotel. Due to a delayed flight, my husband and I arrived to the hotel at 6:00am. The lady at the front desk was extremely nice and got us checked in right away. We had a suite, but when we arrived, it seemed smaller than I had expected. We were going to be there for 10 days and I wanted to have a little more room. I returned to the front desk to ask if there was any other room available and she switched our room right away to another wonderful suite situated on the end. It had an awesome view of both the lagoon from the living room area and the Atlantic Ocean from the balcony. The room was very spacious!! There was a sectional sofa, coffee table, large flat screen tv and work desk in the living room area. The bathroom was huge with a shower big enough for two people. The king size bed was also very comfy. The room also had a coffee maker, microwave, sink area, and plenty of drawers and closets for your clothes.

The hotel itself has 5 or 6 restaurants which were excellent. Contrary to other reviews, the prices were right inline and in some cases, lower than the restaurants within walking distance to the hotel. Every restaurant offered a different fare so there was plenty to choose from. Our personal favorites were Varita's, Gusta d'Italia, and 8 Noodle Bar. Varita's is one of the newer restaurants in the hotel and offers anything from salads and sandwiches to steak. The food is excellent and the service is superb! Be sure to ask for the apple pie alamode. It was the best I have ever had! Gusta d'Italia is an Italian restaurant that is also excellent. The spaghetti and meatballs and lasagna were wonderful. The restaurant has an ocean view and service was spectacular. The restaurant also serves breakfast in the morning - it was wonderful. 8 Noodle Bar is another great choice with Chinese and Japanese cuisine. It is located across from the casino. It is open from 4:00pm to 4:00am and is a great option for late night munching. This was also a great place to eat. The portions here are huge - don't hesitate to share a meal as it is more than enough to do so!

There are 3 pools at the hotel with more than enough lounge chairs and pool chairs for everyone. The ecclectic decor and bright colors of the hotel was also very nice. There wasn't alot happening at the hotel however and the bar/lounge located in the lobby appeared closed most of the time. Never fear, however, the poolside bar was lively and the drinks were marvelous - though expensive!

There is plenty of hotel parking (16.00 a day), but I wouldn't bother with it. We rented a car for 2 of the 10 days we were there and really didn't need it at all. The bus stop is at the hotel. It costs 75 cents to ride. You must have exact change. The C53 bus (by the beach entry) will take you to Old San Juan. It is the last stop on the route and where everyone gets off. Once you get to Old San Juan, there is lots to see. El Morro, San Cristobal, and lots of museums to name a few. There are also lots of shops and great Puerto Rican restaurants. You must go to Raices (pronounced Ray - eee- ces) for dinner in Old San Juan. The atmosphere there and the food are something to remember. The service was awesome.

Across from the Sheraton Hotel and Senor Frogs is the ferry that you can take to the Bacardi Rum Factory. It costs $1.00 per person. When you get to the other side, a $3.00 cab ride will take you right to the factory. Although you don't get to tour the actual factory anymore due to an accident that happened there several years ago, the free tour was alot of fun. We also liked the free drinks you get on the tour.

PROS:
Wonderful people, beautiful island, and everything within walking distance or public transportation.

CONS:
The beach is very small and not impressive at all. If you are coming to hang out at the beach, I don't recommend this hotel. However, if you don't mind walking a couple of blocks, Ocean Park beach is very nice. Also, you can take the bus to Isla Verde, which is still within walking distance (several blocks) which is also a wonderful beach. All beaches in Puerto Rico are public, so you are free to go to any beach you want.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2009

This hotel was nice...the lobby is impressive. The rooms were pretty clean. Sadly, I caught a view behind the night table between the beds since everyone apparently plugs their cell phones in there and it was disgusting. Everything else was clean though. We had a lagoon view which was OK, but if I were to go again, I'd skip the views. We were barely in the room to enjoy it and the inside rooms are significantly less expensive.

The pool was a nice sport to relax at t he beginning of our vacation. The service at the bar wasn't that geat..it took like 20 minutes to get 2 drinks. Condado the town is a nice walk...great Cuban style restaurant steps away....Walgreens, great high end shopping.

I don't particularly recommend the tours offered by the front desk...they are WAY OVERPRICED. We went on the 1/2 day yunque hike tour and it was really bad. We stopped 3 times..once at the yokahu tower, once at a water fall (not la mina) and once for a 30 minutes stroll - not hike)

The beach was small and the water was like the jersey shore...

Overall the hotel was fine, clean and safe.

I also recommend taking the 21 or 53 bus to the end for 75 cents or $1 I think...get off and cross to the terminal and get on one of the free trolleys that take you through old san juan. Taxi drivers will try to charge you $20 for the ride one way.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank babybear96
Reviewed 21 July 2009

Stayed here just one night (july 13) for a convention because the primary hotel for the convention, Caribe Hilton, was full the first night of my stay (see separate review for Caribe). My overall impression of Condado Plaza was that it was very nice. Rate after taxes, etc, was apx $180.
Things I liked:
MY ROOM. Pretty, new, modern, stylish decor with a light airy tropical feel done in mostly white with aqua/green accents. Bathroom was small with only one sink and only a stall, no tub, but all new, clean white marble with nice toilettries, hair dryer, etc. that you would expect. I was initially disappointed to find my room was next to elevator, but did not experience noise from it. Only from loud talking guests in hall (not hotel's fault).
LOCATION was pretty good. A number of restaurants of all price ranges nearby, a small grocery, some boutiques and car rental all within walking distance. If I were coming to San Juan for vacation, though, I would stay in Old San Juan in order to see sights and be near more restaurants. Cabs are expensive here. What I would actually do is get the heck out of SJ after a couple days and see other parts of the island via rental car. Reserve ahead, by the way. They were totally out of cars everywhere when we wanted to rent one to go to El Yunque.
FOOD. Only had one meal- at hotel pool bar. It was an expensive $16 dollar chicken caesar salad, but I daresay worth it. Very large portion, homemade croutons and dressing and huge chunks of rotisserie chicken.
COMMON AREAS/ LOBBY. Hotel entrance is right on street and not attractive, but once you step inside, the lobby is pretty and stylish- except casino, which is a cheesy eyesore. But the casino is off in a separate area of the hotel.
Things I did not like:
BEACH. Wanted to relax at beach when I first arrived. Took one look at it and went to the pool instead. It is a very small lame public beach with a busy road at one end. The view if you stand on it is mainly of other hotels, not the ocean. Very depressing since I am a beach person. Thankfully the pool area is OK. Not beautiful, but pretty nice. If you crave pretty ocean views, the hotel does have a large pretty furnished terrace at lobby level at the back that would be a nice place to have a cocktail.
VIEW from my room was not attractive at all. It was of one of the hotels' structures. This was not a big deal to me, and I did not request a view as I was only there a night, but it would be a different story if it were my vacation. So you should be aware that at least half the rooms would have a similar view.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank pairofloafers
Reviewed 17 July 2009

Not knowing anything about this hotel,I judged it on the reviews on Trip Advisor.They all seemed well pleased with this hotel,so we decided to stay here for six nights.Everything met our expectations and would stay here again.We were up graded to a ocean front room,which was great.Feliepe meet us at the lobby door and answered all our questions and gave us a lot of information,he was great.Good location,had no problem taking bus to old San Juan.We have already recommended to a couple who are going next month.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank medinalynn
Reviewed 16 July 2009

This is a very nice hotel for either business or pleasure. Located in the "Condado," about 20 minutes from the airport, where the taxi ride cost us $19. (Taxis charge you a flat fee and add $1 per suitcase). There are many restaurants, parks, and businesses within walking distance.
The hotel staff was very friendly and gave us a room on the 6th. floor with a gorgeous view of the ocean. There is another tower where some rooms have view of the lagoon.
There is also a casino on the 2nd floor, which we did not use.
Food is expensive, but again, this is a first rate hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!