“Nice rooms, good service, not so beautiful beach”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #24 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Madison, Wisconsin
“Nice rooms, good service, not so beautiful beach”
Reviewed 8 April 2010

I went to San Juan on a business trip, the hotel has just had all the rooms remodeled, I think they did a nice job. I enjoyed its location, I think Condado is a fun place to say in SJ. Overall the hotel was very good, however the beach did not meet my expectations, it was pretty small

Stayed April 2008, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,040)
Boston
Reviewed 6 April 2010

Very dissapointed, the room fantastic view was the only good thing about the 4 day stay. staff does not care at all.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gazebo211

Travellers are raving about these San Juan hotels

Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 3 April 2010

My husband and I went to this hotel for New Year's Eve.
We booked our stay with Hilton points.
Being Diamond, we got upgraded to an ocean view room from the main hotel (see important fact below). That was very nice!

Check in was very very inefficient. We had had trouble getting to SJ because of the ashes and our luggage got lost, we were hoping to at least be able to get our room quickly. But no, 3 girls were at the reception desk, but preferred to talk to each other instead of helping the people waiting...
When we finally were able to check in, we were told that our room would only be ready in a couple of hours. When we finally got our room, there were no towels and no toiletries (got fixed by calling housekeeping)
This actually seems to be a problem: on day 2 and 4, toiletries were not replenished and on day 3, no towels again (they didn't leave the dirty ones, no no, they took them but didn't put new ones)
When you do get toiletries, the size is pretty big which is nice knowing how much conditionner one needs at the beach.
There was no tub, just a big shower (glass).
The room has modern furnishing.
It has tile floor, which I really really like in warm, beachy places: easy to sweep and clean.
Elevators: waow, what a pain! There are 2 located in the middle that are supposed to porvide service for the whole place. Let me tell you, you will wait, you will stop at every level, and they will be packed. There is another one at the end near the pool.
Breakfast: Ridiculous! We are Diamond for Hilton and Gold for Marriott, we spend our lives in hotels. Every where we go, we get free breakfast which includes eggs, smoked salmon, yogurt, fruits... including top of the chain hotels in major cities of the world. But not at the SJ Conrad: we got coupons for breakfast for 8 dollars... which get you coffee or tea and just plain toast at the hotel?! That's a joke. The good thing is the coupons work at a *bucks located at the hotel, so we were able to get a decent breakfast, but definitely not at the hotel.
We had breakfast at the hotel on our last day: Lobster egg benedict, that was pretty good.
Parking: parking is ok. Except that one night, we saw the sign "parking full", so we went to the valet and asked where we can park, he said "accross the street". Ok, we started the car again and saw that the guy slowly walking to the signs and removing it! (but didn't tell us, of course). So, we decided not to try accross the street and try the real parking: it was not even half full! ( we had rented a car to do the rain forest and drive around to other nices beaches with waves)
Location: this is neither Old San Juan nor the heart of Condado. You can walk to SJ, but that's a long walk and one might not feel safe all the time (we didn't). You can take the bus, but apparently, the schedule is a joke, expect to wait. Have the exact fare for each passenger, otherwise, you won't be able to get in, and if you waited, that sucks.
Beach: there is a small public beach that you can access from the pool area. It's public, but you can get lounge chairs and towels from the hotel. But there are rocks, it's not that great. You can walk to Condado beach, which is much nicer and has waves (but there are some areas with algae)

Anothyer very important fact: the Conrad used to be accross the stree (not the sea side), but bought a Radisson (?) to claim ocean view. Both buildings are accross the street and connected via a pedestrian covered bridge. If you are unlucky and get to stay on the wrong side of the street, you will get a nice view of the street (or marina) and enjoy traffic. That might not be what you expected.

So we have mixed feelings about this place. It's renovated, looks modern and trendy, but service is not quite there yet.
I guess it depends what you are up to: nightlife and restaurants, then, no, stay in the Heart of Condado/ nice beach: choose a resort (but be ready to have an all inclusive package or be ripped off for food and drinks)/ a nice hotel to stay at for just 1 night before a cruise, yes, ok.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank First_time_in_Venice
CT
Reviewed 31 March 2010

This was our first trip to San Juan and we really enjoyed staying at this hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful throughout our entire stay. If you like a lively pool scene this is the place to stay. The bartenders were fun and made great mojitos, the music was playing, there is a pool slide and volleyball net, and the pool security was outstanding. If you like it quieter there are hammocks to relax in on the ocean side of the property. The hotel decor was upbeat and bright (everything was red and white with a very modern flair), the grounds were beautiful to stroll around, and best of all, the view from our room was incredible!!!! Every night we sat out on our balcony with a glass of wine and a cigar, looking out at the palm trees and ocean. The location is great. There are several good restaurants within a 5 minute walk from the hotel. Ropa Vieja was my favorite. Another plus is the Starbucks located right outside of the hotel entrance. Old San Juan is a $14 cab ride away. I would say the only downside is that the beach is very small and not for those who like to take long walks on the beach. I would definitely recommend this hotel to a friend and I would love to stay here again soon.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank giddyup816
Stamford, CT
Reviewed 31 March 2010

I was told that the Conrad was the upper end of the Hilton line, but if this is the case. I'll never stay at another Hilton Hotel. First of all the room was dirty. In particular the bathroom had previous guests hair/rubber bands from braces as well as tons of dust. The bed wasn't very plush and lumpy. I had 2 random items missing from my room (brush and nightgown) and when I reported it to security, they said they would investigate. When I asked the manager for some kind of a discount on my bill, I was told they were not responsible for items missing from my room. I wasn't even offered a free stay or meal or anything. When I told the manager I would never stay here again, and I would inform all my friends/family about the hotel, she again replied that they were not responsible for items missing out of my room. Never once did she say to me that she was sorry for the inconvenience. This entire conversation happened in the lobby, where other guest heard what was going on and actually left to find another hotel. I found the staff rude for the most part and would not recommend this place. Plus, the beach is on a main road and open to the public. So if you want to snorkel, up have to go under the bridge in the road.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank arasmc
New Hampshire
Reviewed 27 March 2010

We arrived at the hotel on a Friday afternoon, arranging for early check-in. When we arrived, our room was ready as promised. The lobby of the hotel is beautiful, with a great vibe. Our room was on the 9th floor, and overlooked the city. The room was very modern, and very clean.

From there, it was off to the pool, where we enjoyed an afternoon of sun and relaxation. I took advantage of a 30-minute massage, which was wonderful after sitting on a plane all morning. The massage took place outside, next to the ocean. Very special.

The only thing I would change, if we were to go back, would be to request a room on the ocean side, because the city side is quite noisy. Other than that, it was a perfect stay.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MtHopper
Washington, DC
Reviewed 26 March 2010

It's hard to describe this hotel because it has all the makings of a 5 Star property, but falls short in so many ways. I have just left after spending 10 days-part business and part pleasure-and was fairly pleased. However, during my stay, only one elevator worked the last 5 days, which was a tremendous source of frustration. Plus, in addition to the resort fee, which is supposed to cover internet charges, pool towels, etc., the hotel also tacks on a $1 fee per day for maid service and $7.50 per day for concierge services-which they don't tell you about until you check out! While the $1 a day for the maid was no big deal, I adamantly objected to the $7.50 charge for the concierge because I never used them-even to take my bags out of the car when I arrived. However, I was told by the hotel that this was a mandatory charge assessed because of the "union contract" and they had no authority to adjust it. OK, then tell people when they check in so that you don't have people screaming when they check out. It's a decent property in a great location...BUT BE WARNED about all the fees!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,142 reviews
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!