“Very Disappointed.”

Ranked #23 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Fort Worth, Texas
“Very Disappointed.”
Reviewed 28 December 2010

We booked a Ocean View Superior room with a Balcony. What we got was a two foot ledge with railing that looked out over the first floor roof.

When complained to front desk, explained that I had booked this room way in advance and had spend about $400.00 for the room and that I didn't feel the room I recieved was the room I booked. Well, after about 30 minutes the young trendy girl at the front desk said there was nothing the managment could do but give me a $25.00 certificate for food or bar drinks.

Now more about my room and the hotel. I'm really tired of "trendy hotels" lacking in class and service. My rooms all glass shower leaked all over the floor due to the seal not working any more. The trendy sliding barn style bathrooms doors would not stay on there tract. The open style closet and luggage area is right out side the shower door (yes, in the bathroom) so if anyone needs to get to their belongings while others are using the bathoom.... well, lets just say there is not much privacy. There is no tub. Only one sink (room for two). Only one very small chair in the room. Safe was locked unusable when we got there (had to call for service). You will have to wear a pink bracelet like at a bar when you go to check out the wallmart quality pool towels. Not exactly "superior"... and no ink in the kiosk where you print out boarding passes for airlines.

The lobby is very pleasent but I'm really getting tired of Hotels calling themselfs "Luxury" or "Resort" just because they have modern trendy decor that often doesn't work. Nice samply bottles and Marble sinks don't cut it for me...

If you are looking for a quiet place to stay I recommend El Convento, If you have children I recommend the Marriot Sellaris (nice big bathtubs with sep. showers) and yes i have stayed in both. I do not recommend the La Concha unless you are looking for ear-numbing music in the lobby and again.... trendy decor that just doesn't work (under 35 crowd)

My advice to Conrad.... time for management that cares about the experience of each hotel guest with personal detail to each complaint and each complaint met with respect.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank kissedpicasso

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,056)
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 27 December 2010

First time I walked in our room, i thought it was spectacular. Great view, very trendy. However, I was very disappointed with the bathroom door. Its a sliding door that does not really close, so forget about privacy. At times during the night, it was very noisy and the beds are uncomfortable, especially the pillows.

The parking is very expensive, so if you think you are saving by booking this hotel through orbitz or any other agency, forget about it. They also charge a "resort fee" not included in your package price. Oh, and the elevator was broken most of the time.

In another review, I read that the pool is accessible to the public through the beach. It is very true. I guess anyone could come in to the hotel and use the pool or jacuzzi.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lilly_1947
Genoa, Italy
Reviewed 26 December 2010

good service, friendly service desk, shops casino and restaurants insiede or near the hotel

Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 December 2010

I visited San Juan for the first time from Dec 16 till Dec 21 and stayed at the Conrad Condado Plaza. My reviews covers the good, bad and ugly not only about the hotel but also the city in general.

Safety: First, let's get the ugly out of the way. I was mugged at gunpoint at Carolina Beach in the Isla Verde area on Dec 18th and lost $180, my camera and all the pictures that I took at Old San Juan the day before. It happened at a quiet part of the beach but it was 1 pm in the afternoon and there were some people nearby. I have traveled around the world and this was the first time that I have ever got robbed. It may have been an isolated incident. But I strongly advise anyone traveling to San Juan be very careful and always leave passport and valuables at the hotel. Better yet, try not to be too adventurous and stay in the hotel zone. Condado area where Conrad and most other new resorts are located seems safe and there are lots of cops on patrol every day and night. Certain parts of Isla Verde seems shady, particularly the west end of the Carolina Beach where the high rise condos are located. Stay away from that area!

Hotel: Conrad has recently gone through a multi-million dollar renovation and it really shows. The lobby is gorgeous and the room is tastefully decorated. The bed is very comfortable too. I was upgraded to an ocean view room and the view was truly spectacular! There are some downsides, however. The "glass box" concept of the shower stall may look good on paper but leakage is a big problem as mentioned in other reviews. Also, the doors are not sound proofed well and I could people talking in their rooms in the hallway. Compared to La Concha down the street, which is the "in" place in San Juan right now, Conrad is a little subdued and low key. But I quite liked Conrad as La Concha seems to be trying too hard with their super trendy lobby bar and courtyard restaurant. If you prefer loud house music and expensive drinks that come with it, La Concha is the place to go. But if you prefer a comfortable and contemporary hotel without too much noise, then pick Conrad. I do agree with some of the reviews on other two drawbacks of this hotel: a) The beach is very small and is open to the public. La Concha does have a better beach. b) The area around Conrad is a bit run down. However, everything nice is within walking distance. Overall, it is great value for the money that I paid on Travelocity.

Food: You have to try the local delicacy Mofongo which is mashed plantain stuffed with shredded beef, pork or shrimps. Yummy! Make sure you visit Ropa Vieja just 5 minutes walk from Conrad. The food is amazing and very reasonably priced! For breakfast, you can save a couple of bucks at the Hacienda Don Jose near the hotel but the food is very mediocre and has very small portions. I also ate at Latin Star and Cafe De Angel across from La Concha. Average food and slightly over priced probably because of the location. Cafe Cabri at Conrad provides okay food and convenience. The 8 Noodle Bar is expensive. It cost me $30 to get 10 pieces of sushi. I did not try Varita at the hotel but heard good reviews about the food.

Attractions: I'm a world traveler and Old San Juan is one of the most picturesque places I have ever been to. The two forts El Morro and San Christobal are both amazing. Most people only visit El Morro as it is THE landmark. But don't miss San Christobal. It is equally impressive if not more. The views by the ocean are absolutely stunning! The El Yunque Rainforest is about a 40 minutes drive away but it's definitely worth the trip. Make sure you take a hike in the forest and see the La Marina waterfall. You can book a tour to the forest at the hotel for $50 for half day and $75 for full day. Do not spend money on tours to old San Juan and/or the Bacardi factory. Not worth the $50/$75 they charge you! Simply take bus 21 or 53 (bus stop right outside the hotel) to old San Juan (75 cents one trip) and take the ferry to Bacardi (another 50 cents). And it's way more interesting to see the city that way. You get two free drinks at Bacardi!

These are just some of the highlights of my trip. I got mugged for the first time in my life. But the scenery, history, culture and food kind of make up for it. If you have any specific questions about the hotel or San Juan in general, please feel free to shoot me an email. Thanks!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
5 Thank TravelEnthusiastYYZ
Los Angeles
Reviewed 24 December 2010

We called the Hotel regarding the type of room that we wanted (we specified a king size bed, which was also the selected bed on Orbitz upon booking). We arrived and the front desk confirmed a king sized bed upon check-in. We come up after spending 10 hours on a red eye flight to find two queen sized beds. (there is a big difference between a king and queen sized bed, but at that point we were too exhausted to care) Later to my surprise, the room and shower was a disabled access and ADA compliant. There were no shower doors to stop the flow of water to the bathroom. It was obvious that the Conrad Condado did not know what they were doing by giving us two queens instead of the king that they CONFIRMED TWICE (three times if you count the Orbitz booking) and giving us a disabled accessible/ADA room that we never requested.

This room was was not acceptable since I was constantly slipping on the wet tiles when I got out of the bathroom. I called the front desk to complain and asked change rooms. The person at the front desk said that all rooms in the hotel were like that (which was a lie because eventually we were transferred to a room with a shower door). Later that evening I went down stairs to the front desk and complained about the obvious safety hazard. The front desk person/employee said she could not do anything about it because: (1) I PAID THROUGH ORBITZ AND THUS I GOT THE CHEAPEST ROOM--which would be the Disable Accessible room (complaint with the ADA, but a hazard for an able bodied person); (2) second she claimed that the hotel was booked. With no manager during that evening shift, I decided to return the next day.

I came back the next day to speak to a manager. I threatened that the condition in our current room (with no shower doors) was ripe for a lawsuit and they were on notice three times. Eventually, she did change the room to a regular room with shower doors, but it still had two queen sized beds. At this point, not getting injured and not ruining my vacation were higher priorities than getting a room with the same view and same size room and bed.

My issues with the Conrad did not stop with the room problems, upon check out (after staying 6 nights)I was again faced with rude service and inattentive employees. I arrive at the front desk a 7:15 am to catch a flight to the US. The only front desk employee was trying to solve a complex transaction with another customer. Rather than attempt to get another employee to help her out or see if my transaction could be solved in a few key strokes (which it could have been since I was only checking out), the employee continued with the transaction; and at one point chatted for 5 minutes with the bell hop in front of me and the previous customer. At that point I asked if there was another employee or a machine that could do a quick check out. What I got a a curt "NO, she was the only one there", with no empathy that their guest was trying to catch a morning flight.

The rooms do not make up the horrible service that a guest will receive at the Conrad. The rooms are not spectacular. The rooms are old and there are spots in the bathrooms ceiling where the maintenance staff have painted over spots of mold. I addition the bathrooms are small. I am 5'10" 175lbs. and I can hardly fit in the bathroom. The pool and beach area are not that great. The speck of land that they call a beach is OPEN TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC AND CONSISTS OF A LAGOON NEAR THE AVENIDA ASHFORD BRIDGE. This a major security concern and it does not look all that inviting. Also the pool is open and is accessible from Avenida Ashford; one could just waltz in. Although, there is security, the fact that the pool is open to the street causes concern. Next to the hotel is a GUTTED-OUT hotel filled with graffiti, and an couple of apartments in the same condition as the said hotel. These structures give the Conrad a nice depressed look, but to be fair Avenida Ashford is prime real estate in the city.

As a warning to other travelers and people wisely allocating their limited budgets on travel, AVOID THE CONRAD AT ALL COSTS! The hotel is not worth your hard earned money. The service is horrible and the staff needs to be trained in the finer points of customer service, especially for this hotel brand. In addition, regardless of where and what site I book my hotel, I should not be treated as a second class citizen. This is uncalled for and should not be tolerated by the management at the Conrad.

This is the worst stay I had at a Hilton brand hotel. I travel 1-2 months a year for pleasure and business, and 70% of the time I stay at a Hilton brand hotel. I can assure you this is by far the worst treatment I ever received. I guess you get what you paid for... at the Conrad Condado, you also get ripped off.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JoeBruin1
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 23 December 2010

Our experience at this hotel is mixed. I couldn't decide between 3 and 4 star. I ended on 4, it doesn't deserve a 3. You shouldn't expect a Conrad, though. We did but should have known better with the great rate we got. Our check-in experience was less than exciting. The man checking us in seemed a bit like he could care less that we were there...Whatever. The rooms are nice. Very cool decor. Excellent view of the ocean. The bed was comfortable. Plenty of space. The whole set up was fine for my husband and I although I would warn non-couples. The bathroom door isn't really a door. It's 2 sliders that meet in the middle, no latch or anything. The shower is a glass one in the middle of the room. This is also where the dresser/closet, coffee pot and safe are. What I'm saying is no privacy. The balconies are wonderful. Enough space for 4 to hang out. Total privacy. You can't see or hear anyone else. Speaking of hearing others, you can hear most of what goes on in the hall from your bed. And the doors slam.
We did have a problem with the shower as we have with many glass showers in hotels lately. They leak. Our drain wasn't fast enough so the water leaked out the door. Hotels have errored in installing these. The first time I used the shower I got out and the bathroom was a lake. We called about this twice and never had anyone solve the problem. We would build a dam with towels when we showered so water didn't go all over the bathroom. You'd think the maid would have gotten tired of cleaning up soaking wet towels for 6 days.
The beach is bad. Very small. The sand is nice until you get to the water, then it's all rock. We did enjoy the pools. They do serve food and drinks at the pool. Aqua is the bar/restaurant. Good food. Pretty good service.
We also ate at Picayo. This is a fine dining restaurant. Prices are high but the atmosphere and food are great.
Varita has good food. They call it casual but it's nicer than casual. Service was bad. Not that friendly and very slow.
Cafe Caribe is ok food, nothing exciting. Slow service. Even just for drinks.
The casino is nothing great at all. Not the exciting casino atmosphere you may be looking for if you like Vegas.
There is not 24 hour room service. They close at 10, I think. No mini bar in the room. They lost money on us, we would have used one.
Overall, we enjoyed our trip but with the Conrad name we expected more. Had it not been a Conrad we probably wouldn't have noticed as much. Except the shower thing. That was a pain.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cjfosler
Plainsboro, NJ
Reviewed 21 December 2010

Attended destination wedding at the Conrad during Thanksgiving week. The hotel is nice and general service (concierge, front desk, room service, etc.) is good but the biggest inconvenience was the room layout and we had the ocean facing room.

Not sure which genius thought of this but the bathroom door is a sliding door and cannot be locked and you can see inside the bathroom from the sides. The closet and drawers are in the bathroom - absolutely no drawers or closet in the main room so if someone is in the bathroom you have no access to your clothes. Plus the safe and coffee maker is also in the bathroom. Probably ok layout for couples but definitely not for families

The worst service was from the banqueting staff - service was very poor and disappointing for a hotel that is in this class and advertises it as a place for destination wedding. Examples of poor service:

1) Quite rude and did not seem they were making much effort to ensure our needs were met at 3 out of the 4 events we had

2) 3 buffet meals for ~200 people and on all occasions they would literally wait until food was totally finished and I had to ask them to refill all the times. Usually was met with a nasty emotion when asked to re-fill and advised them they they should refill before container is empty but they did not follow my advise. Somethimes had guests wait 5+ minutes to get an item filled

3) Couple of glasses broke on the floor and all they did was pushed the broken glass under the juice table but no-one thought about putting a caution cone or put a chair there so no one would walk there and get hurt. Had to ask them to come and sweep it up

4) During last hour of a breakfast buffet, the staff did bring out plates for guests to take food. On questioning they said the limit of guests had been met and I'd have to pay extra for each additional guest. I knew not all the guests had eaten yet so asked them how did they count. First they said # of plates and I said people did not use the same plates when they came for re-fill. so then they said # of silverware sets used and I said how did they keep track of it and they said they had counted that. So couple of us went around the tables and found ~20 sets of silverware that had not been used. So as another sign of having no customer sense one of the head staff says well some did not use silverware when they ate. At this point I am fuming and reluctantly they brought 20 additional plates

I have never seen such poor banqueting service which actually tarnished the entire image of the hotel. If anyone is thinking of having a wedding there all i can say is Buyer Beware because what they promised and what we got is totally opposites.

Also the beach is very small so not great for kids or taking long walks on the beach. Plus the entire area has lots of pebbles and rocks so if you want a long sandy beach, this place is not for you.

If you are just visiting as part of small group/family and want to be close to San Juan, then this may be ok for you as their other services are fine.

As a general rule I think if families are going for a vacation with no hassles, I strongly recommend looking at hotels/resorts that offer the all inclusive option.

If you have a car, parking is $16 per day!!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!