“Excellent Hotel”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #24 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
“Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2011

I've stayed here 10 times (mostly for work). Great hotel - staff was very attentive and the rooms were clean with a great view (if you get an ocean or lagoon view). It can be expensive - but most Hilton/Conrad places are. If you like nightlife, it's at the very end of Condado, so you'll have about a 10 min walk (very safe) or a short cab ride. There are places that are in the middle of Condado if you're looking to be where everything is.

Pools are good, food is great (but expensive) and the hotel staff will take good care of you. If you're looking to relax - this is a great spot.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,024)
Weston, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2011

Prior to reviewing the hotel experience I must mention the outstanding service by the employees (as well as ALL of the people we encountered in PR). The Puerto Rican people we encountered were warm, welcoming, sweet people who went above and beyond. That being said, upon arriving by cab to the Conrad I was very sad to see the condition of the neighborhood. Abandoned buildings covered in graffiti,and lots of construction on a very loud street was disappointing.
The inside of the hotel was ok.. Retro and modern. Not really my style but still nice. Concierge was excellent. Breakfast at the Cafe Caribe was no good. Eggs were over-cooked and service very slow. Beach was very small but adequate. Construction was visible from the beach and LOUD. I do not recommend eating at the hotel as it is over-priced. We ate sushi at East (v good), and tried the upscale Budatai which was an eclectic and sexy scene but overpriced and food just average. The best food we had was in Loquillo and Fajardo, both a 45 min drive away.
The hotel room was comfortable and beds were great. Bathroom looked renovated but the closet and drawers were in there AND shower walls were clear glass, no privacy. I don't know why they designed it that way.
I would not stay at this hotel again but would love to return to PR soon!!

• Stayed February 2011
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2011

So much to say! First of all--I contacted Leah Rossi before our stay with concerns that I had after reading some reviews here. She was gracious and accommodating and answered all of my questions. We were lucky enough to have an ocean view room in the main hotel building--absolutely beautiful view! As someone wrote here previously, it is in city,so, if that's not your thing, you may not like it. But we loved that--there are some abandoned buildings due to Hurricane Hugo, but we felt totally safe walking around Ashford. As a matter of fact, I have never seen so many people out jogging as I have on Ashford!
Now--the people at the hotel--I had read here that customer service was not that great. We had the total opposite experience. The people in that hotel were so friendly!!! The pool and bar service was amazing--the employees there make you feel welcome, they remember your name, and treat you great! Of course, you get what you give! ( I saw some people that were rude to employees, and still the employees were always respectful and courteous). We never waited more than a few minutes to be seated for breakfast, and we had breakfast there four mornings. However, there are places down on Ashford that serve breakfast.
We ate at 8 noodle and liked it --Varitas was also very good.
But walk down Ashford to Wakiki--food is great and the service is wonderful.
The beach at Condado is small, but clean and beautiful for swimming and the fact that you can walk right back up the stairs to the pool area is great.
I came back to Boston and snow! So, I can't wait to go back to the Conrad!!

New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2011

My husband and I were looking to escape the cold NYC weather in Feb. We went down to just for the weekend. The Conrad is close to the airport and with everything in or near the hotel, it was a nice place for a quick getaway. The rooms are nice and clean and definitely dated. The pool area is okay but it really isn't large enough for the size of the hotel. We had a hard time finding empty chairs.

Definitely not luxury but it did the job.

• Stayed February 2011
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2011

I stood during aug of 2007 first our rooms werent ready we had 2 room. One of the rooms that we were given was freshly painted, in which my mother gets ashma, so her and my brother had to sleep there for that night. Had only one bed they brought up a blow up mattress which deflated during the night. The next morning they stated to us that we should bring the mattree down so it can be blown up again ha "how are we going to put this mattree inside the elevator"? i asked. Eventually they were given a new room.We did enjoy very much the swimming pool. I see new beautiful pictures now hope that these changes also comes with better customer service. Im not sure if i would recommed ???????

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2011

Me and my husband have been married for a couple of months now but never got the chance to have a honey moon until now. We chose Puerto Rico for its beauty and the fact that I grew up there. We had the great pleasure of staying at "Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza".
I remember visiting the hotel many times when I was younger and walking the streets of the Condado area. It was a treat to go back to the place where I had memories as a child. My husband on the other hand it was a new experience for him as his first time there. We loved every day and every experience.
The hotel is at its very best location. It is situated in a corner offering to their guests a private beach where they can relax in. For those that like waves or want to be more immersed in the culture this is the perfect place to stay. There are other beaches at walking distance. Me and my husband personally did beach hopping. We would visit the hotel beach and sometimes the same day go walking to "el escanbron" beach. This beach is only a 15 minute walk and besides being immersed in the culture it has everything. It has lifeguards,showers,restrooms, food, a spot to relax in the water and a spot popular for surfers. From the beach you can view the fort and old san juan, This was only a 15 minute walk from our hotel.
On the opposite directions there are also other beaches along with shopping and restaurants. We did not have to rent a car due to the fact that we had every thing within walking distance. If we wanted to go to old san juan or any other surrounding areas it was mostly a 13$ cab fair.
The hotel it self has 2 buildings. One facing the ocean and the other facing the lagoon. We stayed in the lagoon side and it was a perfect junior suite. The room was contemporary and comfortable. From one side of the room we can view the ocean and from the other we can view the lagoon. For those that like to do water sports there are many possibilities around the area. You can kayak in the lagoon,wind surfing, surfing, rents jet skis. The hotel was able to give us info on this.
There is a beautiful part on the back of the hotel where you can enjoy a great nap in a hamac or just enjoy the sunrise.
The hotel has a great staff. Every question we had they answered with a smile. I was very impressed with the cleanliness of the hotel, and how professional all the employees were. For those that enjoy the night life, there is a bar in the hotel along with a little night club. A casino and several restaurants are within the hotel. Also there are other hot spots in old san juan and Isla verde with in 10 minutes of a drive.
Overall our stay was great and I would recommend staying there. The food was great, the people were friendly, the room looked like new and in great condition and the experience is like no other.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2011

The Conrad itself is a lovely hotel, very modern and definitely trying to be a trendy spot in San Juan. The rooms are nicely appointed, although the cleanliness of the rooms needs much improvement. The rooms/halls tend to be very noisy as the rooms all of tile floors which echos every time someone flushes the high-powered toilets or shuts their guest room door. The beds are comfy. The bathrooms are strange as the shower is in the middle of a large room that is shared with the fridge, open closet and other bathroom appointments. When you walk out the shower you need to be a little careful not to get all of your hanging clothes wet.

The service at the hotel is awful. From the bell captain, to the front desk, to housekeeping - everyone seemed bothered here. Attitudes were high. Friendliness non existent. The only staff that seemed to be remotely interested in guests were the pool bar attendants. Other pool staff was totally uninterested.....beach chairs on the playita (little thing they call a beach) were delayed as the attendant was on his personal phone hiding behind the wall. Luggage took over an hour, after 3 calls, to be delivered to the room.

The hotel location is in Condado, but at the very end. The hotel seems to be surrounded by vacated old and condemned buildings covered in grafitti. Such a shame. The area is safe, but just doesn't feel like a vacation or resort area. Anything interesting is at least a 10 minute walk away or a cab ride. Isla verde resorts have much more to offer, I feel, as this hotel doesn't have a real beach. The "playita" is blocked by rocks and in the inlet. Nothing compared to the Isla Verde beaches.
The hotel does try to make up for this with two large pool areas.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Juan
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,111 reviews
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!