“Great location and stay!”

Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel
Ranked #20 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Somewhere in the Midwest
“Great location and stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2011

Really enjoyed the Sheraton Old San Juan. We did stay on Starwood Points. It is in a great location and the rooms were comfortable, clean and quiet. The lobby is a bit crazy, especially on weekends with all the cruise ship passengers coming and going. Very convenient to both cruise piers, though you do have to take a cab to Pan Am. We stayed pre & post cruise and have already booked for pre & post cruise next year.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2011

I stayed here for one month with my husband who was in San Juan for business. The best things about this hotel is its location in Old San Juan and the staff. You can walk everywhere in Old San Juan easily and the hotel is right on the bay so some rooms have nice bay views and the patios of the restaurants have great ocean views of all the cruise ships coming and going. The staff overall was wonderful, friendly and very helpful-especially JANMARILY at the front desk and ALEX and LUIS who worked in both restaurants. The housekeeping staff was wonderful as well and if you put the sign on your door that you weren't interested in service, they actually respected that and did not come in. Often I would pass them in the hall and they would offer extra towels or see if there was anything we needed. Top notch housekeeping and I felt very comfortable that my things were safe in the room (unlike other places I have stayed in Puerto Rico).
Negatives were there is no real hotel room service, only from the restaurants which are at the hotel, one being a burger place (mediocre at best) and one a more expensive Italian restaurant. The room service food available during the day is very limited and they stop at 11pm at night. Both restaurants are also pretty slow so don't go if you are starving. However the happy hour offered at the Italian restuarant, Il Palacio I think it was called, is great-VERY affordable drinks and appetizers. My other complaints were the water in the shower never held its temperature- it would go back and forth between hot and cold during every shower (and we stayed in 3 different rooms) and also half the equipment in the gym was broken or needed maintenance. These aren't the worst things to find in a hotel so overall I am giving them a good rating.

Room Tip: 511-next to the elevator, 531-quieter,bay view,etc
1 Thank Jeremysgirl09
washington d.c.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2011

I received this hotel upon a Priceline bid and had read varying reviews. We stayed here for one night after our cruise. We got to the hotel around 11am and did a pre-checkin and dropped off our bags. Our guest services agent, Veronica was super friendly and effecient. Even though check-in wasn't until 3pm, she took down my phone number and said she would call me when the room was available.

We then went to the Chicago Burger restaurant inside of the Sheraton and had a really good burger. The location of this hotel is excellent. It's right across the street from one of the cruise piers (and down the street from the other) right in the heart of old san juan you can walk just about anywhere. There's tons of shopping, restaurants and touring to be done in this area. We walked down to El Morro and received a call around 1:45 that our room was ready. However, we were having such a good time in Old San Juan we still didn't check-in until around 5. When we went to get our room key, I was told we had been "upgraded". Having already seen the rooms online I didn't know what this could possibly mean. When we got to the room it looked exactly like the pictures that are posted. The cons were the carpet was dirty, the room kind of old and dark, but the bed was comfortable, the bathroom was updated and we had a view of the cruise pier. I guess this is what our "update" was. We were suppossed to be checked out by 11am the next day but called downstairs to ask for a later check out and it was granted. I really love the hotel location, it just can't be beat. There's a small business center so if you need to use a computer your all set.

If your looking for a great place to stay before your cruise as well as experience Puerto Rico then this is the place for you. Make sure to also check out the restaurant "Punto de Vista" while your there. Awesome Puerto Rican food about 2 blocks from the Sheraton.

Glen Ellen, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2011

The Sheraton in Old San Juan was great. The hotel was clean and the staff was so friendly. I felt like they were having a contest or something to see who could be the nicest and most informative about the city! Another bonus was the rooftop pool and the workout facility overlooking the dock where the cruise ships dock. You can walk from the hotel to any of the great restaurants.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2011

Located in Old San Juan, which is what my fiance and I we were looking for. Otherwise, it's a pretty average hotel. It is located across the street from the cruise ship docks. There's a casino on the first floor, which is nice. For good local restaurants, I'd recommend walking a little bit away from the docks to find slightly lower prices and less touristy food.

1 Thank gregoryjm
new jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2011

Great bed very comfortable. Great spot to explore old san juan from. Great if you are going on a cruise.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2011

I stayed there for couple of nights. I loved the location.. but then entire Old San Juan is like few miles walk from anywhere anyway. Staff was not bad.. They should just have given me a brief overview of the facilities/services they had over there. I was a bit disappointed to see that my room didn't have much amenities, as a room in Sheraton with this kinda $$ should have had. My room being across from elevator was a bit noisy.. Everything was in working order though. I can stay there again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business