“Feed the pigeons off my table, sure why not.”

Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel
Ranked #18 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Brooklyn
“Feed the pigeons off my table, sure why not.”
Reviewed 14 July 2012

One thing I will say about this place is that staff are friendly and great. Other than that, I would do my best to stay anywhere else. The hotel has a sort of bargain-vacation feel to it. Everything feels like it just wasn't done with all that much care (again, aside from the staff). The pool on the roof is unimpressive and small. The lobby is an ear-piercing casino. The unit that we had on the top floor, which was supposedly a fancy suite, for some reason was next to some very loud fans or A/C units or something, so the whole place rumbled and vibrated all night long.

In the dining room, I saw one of the most amazing scenes I have ever witnessed in a hotel, and it made for some pretty great comedy. We decided to sit out on the restaurant balcony, which looks out on the harbor and the main street, because the air conditioning in the dining room was extremely cold, and hey, we were in Puerto Rico. While we were eating pigeons began to swarm around all the tables, and these pigeons were the most scraggly sorry-looking birds I have ever seen. They were all filthy and ragged with their feathers falling out and their feet all messed up. They came hobbling onto the tables and flying around our heads. It was pretty aggressive. I went in to get some more food and I noticed that when I came back my glass of orange juice was gone-- I am pretty sure that one of the waiters had seen a pigeon do something unsavory to my glass and had taken it away. Finally at the end of our meal, after surviving the dirty pigeon attacks, I saw one of the waiters walk out onto the balcony with his hands full of bread pieces. The waiter scattered the bread around all over the floor of the balcony and all the birds went crazy eating them. We just wore sweaters and ate inside after that.

Room Tip: Avoid the top floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I booked this hotel on a last min spur of the moment - July 4th weekend getaway. (my first time in Puerto Rico) There was no problem checking-in and the front desk were very hospitable in giving us directions. There's a hertz rental car on site, which would of made everything extremely convenient, but all the cars were booked out..and limited. The hotel is situated near the harbor, and is a very easy close walking distance to all the sights of Old San Juan. Transport across the street to the bacardi factory was effortless, despite the wait for the ferry (30min+).

Clean hotel, comfortable bed, very good water pressure in the shower.. feels like a jacuzzi. The safety box in our room was not working and I called the front desk. Within minutes a security guy came to fix that, and repaired it promptly. The remote to the TV in our room was also not working and within minutes someone came up to take care of it. Great service, and I am very happy with the staff's attentive and speedy resolution for issues with the room.

The only thing I would have to say about this to not make it a 5 pt rating, is that pretty much the stores all close around 5-6pm-ish during the weekdays. It's hard to find something to do around the area - if you are not into gambling. The casino downstairs is a great spot for some night activities, but I am not much of a gambler. Would be cool if the hotel could offer some activities after 5-6pm, or some suggestions would be great. Overall, I am very happy with the value and service of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank babielo
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We spent three great nights here. We got a great deal through AAA pricing, which also included a $50 credit for the restaurants at the hotel. As other reviewers have also mentioned, you can pretty much walk to anywhere in Old San Juan from this hotel. The restaurants at the hotel are nice - the Chicago Burger Company is open until 1am.

Our room had just enough space, but the bed was very comfy. We were promptly provided a refrigerator in our room when we requested for it at check-in. My only gripe is that our "city view" room faced the adjacent parking structure directly.

The staff was nice and helpful. The food at the restaurants was great. We didn't go to the casino in the hotel, but it looked pretty busy from outside. There are some great views from the ninth floor, where they have a pool as well.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Great hotel.. Terrific attentive staff...casino is just big enough for a lot of fun. Walking distance to great shopping & dining. Try the RocaLiza 1/2 day climb & zip line!!! Ferry across the street takes you straight to transport to Bacardi factory for a $1 round trip. Taxi $3 each.. & worth it. Tour at Bacardi is free & drink tickets at the end!! Had a great trip ... Stayed 5 nights. Comfortable beds too!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Jlynniesue
Bronx, New York
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Great comfy beds and pillows, clean hotel, staff was very friendly and helpful with things to do and where to go. Everything to do in Old San Juan is in walking distance from the hotel. If you are driving you can sometimes find parking.

Room Tip: Do not take any tours, you can do everything on your own with a little research on what you want to...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
San Dimas, CA
Reviewed 10 July 2012

This hotel is a little old but in real nice shape. Great location. Waterfront is right across the street. Old town is starts at the hotel. Almost everything you can do in old town can be done by walking and walking from this hotel. Free shuttle stop is a block away if you choose to ride.
Hotel has a casino ready to invest your money. Rooms are comfortable both for your wallet and to sleep. Highly recommend and would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Spooner, Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I just spent 5 nights here on a solo trip and I absolutely loved the location, charm, and feel of this hotel. I highly recommend it. Before booking I read not so great reviews but those reviews came from people who were not enjoying San Juan to it's fullest and spending too much time in their hotel! The location was perfect. I loved that if you didn't have fresh towels everyday they would slip a $5 voucher underneath your door. I felt very safe and had great access to the trolley, the ferry to the Bacardi tour, great restaraunts, and I loved the free drinks while playing blackjack! :) The ambiance at the restaraunts was great and most were very friendly. I did get stereotyped quite a bit being a blonde american but I let it roll off my back and was friendly to everyone I met.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo