“Great hotel”

Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel
Ranked #19 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 9 October 2010

We stayed one night right before our cruise, we thought the hotel was wonderful. We loved our room, it was hugh! The comforter on the wonderfully lush bed was perfect. Our trip also included the breakfast buffet, which was also delicious. It was a great start to a wonderful vacation. The staff was very friendly and helpful, check in was easy and check out was just as easy. Only criticism, the lobby did not have enough seating, because when the cruise ship did come to port there was not enough seats for new arrivals to seat. I would say the problem is that the cruise ship let's off so early and people are anxious to get to their rooms. I say, check your luggage with the bell hop, which we did, prepack your bathing suits in a carry on bag and swim in the beautiful roof top pool, or soak whatever troubles you have away in the jacuzzi, and leave your troubles behind!

1  Thank Darthy12
Write a ReviewReviews (2,384)

Reviewed 8 October 2010

Perfect Location in Old San Juan! Clean rooms, nice linens. Asked for a harbor view when I arrived but they did not have any rooms available facing the harbour. However, I was upgraded to a suite instead! Great and helpful staff. Hotel can be a bit crazy during cruise ship departure days which was Sunday when I was there, but wasn;t a big issue.
I don't know what all the other complaints are for.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ATLGAPeach
Reviewed 7 October 2010

Stayed here 4 nights before going on a southern Caribbean cruise. Crusie shipped docked just across the street. Hotel is about 18 years old and needs some do-over, but is in pretty good shape. Staff was extremely helpful and friendly. There is a casino in the hotel if you gamble.

Hotel just at the edge of Old San Juan. Close to Al Dente, one of the best Italian restaurants we've dined at. Also close to La Bombalier, which has a great breakfast. One block from CVS drugstore, which has everything. No shortage of taxis out front.

We were upgraded to a mini suite because of our Starwood status. Beds were comfortable and there were 2 flat screen TV's, but no HD.
We would stay here again if we ever go on another cruise out of San Juan.

Reviewed 4 October 2010

As an SPG member I was directed towards this hotel for my last night in San Juan before departing back home. I had booked a suite as quoted with a "beautiful city view of historic old san juan." I was expecting a lovely view with a nice view of the city and port. I was looking forwarding to relaxing in this city in my nice suite. Instead I was given a "suite" that just felt like a dark gloomy basement. The "historic city view" was a giant parking structure 5 ft outside the window. It was by far the most misleading room description I have been given in my 100+ hotel stays this year. I gave the hotel the opportunity to rectify the matter but nothing was done. They had no rooms to move me to and could only offer a small credit towards the $319 I was originally quoted. Keep in mind they ALSO charge a $25 service fee and TAXES on top of that. The hotel is a joke with no real management. I will be filing a formal complaint with SPG corporate. Unless you are boarding a cruise ship, DO NOT STAY HERE!!
Your vacation will be ruined. What pissed me off the most was the front desk who was quite aware how misleading the description was. The bellman told me they get such complaints daily. DO NOT STAY HERE!!! Its a dump!!! No better than a motel 6.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
5  Thank JmaxBod
Reviewed 25 September 2010

Excellent location for post cruise stay. We walked across the port with our luggages. The room was not ready; but, the bell service was great. The room is clean and comfortable.

Reviewed 7 September 2010

I hate writing negative reviews, but there is little to compliment about this hotel. The lobby constantly smells of grease and fried food (not sure why). One of the two treadmills was broken and when we reported it to the front desk, they shrugged. One morning we were awoken by the maid service before 8 a.m.; the next day they never came. We had to call the front desk three times that evening before someone came to drop off clean sheets and towels (though they did not offer to make up the beds or clean up).

Other anomalies about this hotel include barking dogs in the hallways in the early morning(?); lots of small unsupervised children screaming in the gym and the pool.

Because I have the Starwoods Credit Card, I typically stay at Starwoods properties (LeMeridien, Sheraton, W, etc.) This one felt more akin to a motel than a multi-star hotel.

2  Thank amandas711
Reviewed 16 August 2010

I stayed here with my wife the night before a cruise departing from San Juan. It was a good, clean hotel. Staff were not overly friendly but they got the job done. The best thing about this hotel is the location - smackl in the middle of old San Juan. If you stay here and are looking for a great place for dinner, I highly recommend taking a short walk to the DragonFly restaurant 1 street over - Asian/Latin fusion - try the duck nachos!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple