“Frustrating end to a great trip”

Oceana Hostal Playero
Ranked #23 of 30 San Juan B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Frustrating end to a great trip”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We were staying at this place just because it is close to the airport; we had a 7am flight from San Juan. We were winding up our PR trip and thought we'd stay close nearby the airport.

There was some confusion about our reservation; we had mentioned we were 3 adults while making the reservation on Booking.com and yet, we were assigned a room that was mainly for 1 person but 2 could fit in. The person at the front desk mentioned that this was an error from their side but didn't explicitly say how he'd fix it. He gave us 2 options: 1) pay $25 for the extra person BUT he still wouldn't provide an extra bed. 2) pay $60 more for a villa.

Given how they had messed up, he reluctantly agreed to waive the $25 charge. When we saw the room, we realized just how tiny it was. We asked for the villa, he said he'd charge us $60 more. We thought it would make more sense to explore other places since he was asking us for $170 and we were staying there for less than 12 hours. Once we got in touch with Booking.com about cancellation fees etc., this guy's ego flared up.

He said we'd now have to pay the $25 fee for the current room; he also said the villa he was earlier offering us was now not available and a more expensive one was. That was $190. His words, "That offer was valid 30min ago, not now."

Even the mightiest Kings of the world would have a lower ego than this dude.

And the room.. a silly joke. The bathroom was the size of the matchbox. People living in Manhattan, if you want to feel good about the size of your bathroom, visit this hotel. It is probably 3 ft by 6 ft. You can take a shower only if you stand still; when you use the toilet, your knees will hit the basin.

Possibly, the best way to screw your vacation.

Room Tip: Oh please, find something better.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank libranof1987

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

Didn't actually stay here as even though we had reservations when arriving from Canada no room was available when we got there. Overall impression from lobby was not great. Better plays to stay in the area.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Sandy O

Travellers are raving about these San Juan hotels

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We wanted to stay away from the main tourist areas in San Juan, and found this little hotel. It was clean, had a/c, fridge, stove, etc, like a little condo. It definitely was not a five star resort, but that wasn't what we wanted. We wanted a good local place where we could see the real Puerto Rico. Oceana was perfect. There is a place called Mango's right down the street which was great for happy hour and had delicious food. Also an amazing bakery/deli which is famous in Puerto Rico. Both of these are just down the street from Oceana and easily within walking distance. The Fort and Casino are just short cab rides away, making this a perfect place to stay and enjoy the local culture. Stores, Food, etc, all within walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for the private condo style room
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Brian K
San Diego, California
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Had two nights to kill in San Juan before picking up rental car and going to Palmas del Mar timeshare (in Humacao, PR) for a week. Was really surprised to find this one on my company reservation site (AMEX), for half the price of any chain hotels in the same area. You get what you pay for.

I checked in just after midnight, Thursday, due to winter airline delays. Had to call a number on the front door, because their advertised 24 hour desk service was only Fri-Sun. Clerk came quickly. Assigned us to room 24. Remember that one, as it seemed to be the only one with a private patio. Well, private, but within view of everone else's room, so don't plan on topless tanning. The hotel has a small ground floor interior patio with a small inground pool. Our room had a huge bed, and it was comfortable (albeit squeaky) but the sheets were too small for the bed and kept coming loose. The rooms seem to be all on the 2nd and 3rd floors. A fourth floor is a rooftop patio, and the stairwell leading to that even provides a minor 5th level patio. You can actually see the ocean from that one. The hotel is one block from the beach. It is a huge, clean, beach. Ocean is a bit rough, not calm. Parking is almost non-existent. I counted four spaces, and one of those is handicapped (really weird since the rooms I saw were only accessible by a single stairwell; no elevator). Typical inexpensive furnishings. Dated, mismatched. The TV had Direct TV, but so few channels were available, they didn't even have network coverage. And it was smaller than my laptop screen. Wireless internet worked. Major plus.

Buuttt. There was no hot water, seriously, for both days we were there. No hot water. One front desk clerk said something like "we don't know when they'll get it working". I don't know who "they" are, or were, but you can blame "them" for the low rating I gave. Nothing crawling around, but I saw signs there might have been in the past. Not all wall sockets worked. Bathroom had a key locked window, and we didn't have the key. Speaking of keys, you were given two keys (real keys). One to open the front door and one to open your room. The front door key also was required to open the stairwell door, which was ironically, literally, right next to the front desk. I can only assume "they" thought the neighborhood was unsafe. Well, all the houses there are surrounded by ironwork, even their upstairs patios. So it probably is unsafe. And yes, I was given two remotes to be returned on check out also. Forget driving to the hotel. Parking on street always full.

They supposedly provided breakfast. We really didn't try it. My esposa had a coffee . Refrigerator in room, good size. Ice buckets in the room (it had to be cleaned), but I asked for ice 3 times in two days before the desk clerk ran out to a store and bought a bag. Stores and restaurants within walking distance. Old Town San Juan could be reached by foot, or taxi ($17), or even city bus (75 cents)right in front of the hotel (but watch out, it didn't run at night).

Look, this is not a gem. I'd say it was worth it, if they had had hot water. I wouldn't have stayed for a week. The people working there were great. It's just not a place I can recommend. Certainly not for more than two days.

One last thing, I really don't know how much this will cost me. I had a reservation for two days for 108.73 and 118.70. I gave the clerk my credit card on check-in. But on check out, that clerk absolutely refused to give me a receipt of any kind. He said the first clerk should have given me something (he didn't). So, maybe I'll be overcharged. Who knows.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Bill D
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Beware, customer service is almost nonexistent. Never apologized for any of the complaints. Asked for ice, since there was not an ice machine for guest and it took two hours for them to bring it after they said it would take 30 minutes. Never even offered and apology. Double charged credit card and when called to question was told I would receive a call back but never did, I had to call back. Look at the pictures I submitted...it is obvious housekeeping staff did nothing to clean the room...stains everywhere, air condition didnt work (could not turn down), showers moldy with luck warm water in the am and no hot water at night not to mention very little water pressure. Staff seem not to care as long as they got your money...at $130 a night was worth maybe $20 only because you had a roof over your head.

Room Tip: zoom into pics to really see the filth
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ebc62cs
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 17 February 2014

If I could describe this place in two words is would be: disgusting and weird. I went on vacation with my family and were completely shocked at what we saw. Once we got to the room we couldn't stop laughing. We travel a lot and we have stayed at quite a few hotels and motels and I have to say that this place is the worst. We got a room that had a weirdly small kitchen, a weirdly small bathroom and a second story for the bed. The stairs to go up are incredibly slippery and I fell and hurt my backbone so badly that I had trouble walking painlessly for the rest of the trip. The room was dirty and needed a really good scrub in every corner of it. The staff was nice but they charged us $7 for a ham and cheese sandwich so beware about asking for food here. I was completely disgusted the whole time and I would never, ever, ever, ever go back.

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank Thehappytravelerr
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Conveniently located only a block from the beach. A block in the other direction is a major avenue with lots of shopping/dining options and bus routes. No helpful advice offered upon check-in. Are towels available to borrow to take to the beach? Who knows? Was the complimentary breakfast mentioned? Nope. What we remember from check in was the FD clerk coming outside to tell us we could not park/unload in what appears to be a parking space in front of the hotel entrance. (Hint to hotel: if this is NOT a parking space, mark it with paint as a no parking zone and/or post NO PARKING/HOTEL ENTRANCE signs). Not the warm-and-fuzzy welcome guests usually receive. Maybe someone making a living in the hospitality industry should actually display some, you know, hospitality? FD clerk handing me two remotes (TV, A/C), with explicit instructions to return them upon check-out. Concern over preventing theft of remotes doesn't reflect well on the caliber of guests a place caters to. Small room, adequate and clean. Marginal A/C; the small flat screen TV picked up only one DISH TV channel. Poorly designed bathroom make it difficult to reach faucet controls without banging your hands on soap/cup holders. Water flow mysteriously died to toilet tank, led to comic fix by repeatedly filling trash pail with water from low-pressure shower head and manually dumping into toilet tank. There are many similar hotels nearby; we'll definitely try one of them on return visits.

Room Tip: There are many alternatives nearby at same price point that can't possibly be this disappointing...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family