“This place is fantastic”

Doubletree by Hilton San Juan
Ranked #11 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
United States
“This place is fantastic”
Reviewed 24 April 2011

I stayed here a few years ago when they were undergoing renovations and it was ok. I just went back to Puerto Rico for two weeks and stayed four nights at the Doubletree and was just blown away. Let me preface my comments by saying that I have worked in many hotels (starting when I was 16 as a concierge of a resort) and have was a manager for the Four Seasons in Santa Barbara for a few years. I feel like I can judge the guts of a hotel fairly well after all the years working in the industry. That said, this is a top notch hotel. The rooms were obviously done by a designer who could spend some money. They are creative, spacious, immaculate, and entry level high end everything (flat panel tv, wolfgang puck coffee maker, free in-room bottled water, etc..). The hotel lobby and common areas are not expansive but very well done so as to invite people to want to sit inside and out. You have that feel that you are with the in crowd though most of the customers seemed laid back and happy. Aside from the sheer quality of the design and all of the details, the staff very are top notch. The Four Seasons, as most know, trains their staff to the highest levels (and at a bottom usual price per room of $450, they need to be excellent and attentive). This hotel's staff had the same great attention to detail and bright positive attitude that I had seen while working at the Four Seasons. I would have hired all of them. And for me, that is saying a lot. The management and hiring staff of this hotel is really on top of things (plus little things like a fresh hot cookie upon check-in add up to a great enjoyable stay). I would also like to single out two staff members who directly personified what I would consider to be four and five star hotel employees (though, for various reasons having to do with what the hotel can offer, or any hotel can offer, this hotel is not a four or five star, they certainly act like it). Omar, who helped us on the first part of our trip (and the stay of two nights) was extremely professional and friendly, a virtual fount of knowledge. Just a great and personable guy. The other was Miguel who assisted us in a minor problem like a seasoned veteran (ultimately leaving us to want to extend our stay one more night- which we did. He was so friendly and amiable that we actually looked forward to seeing him in the morning. He just went above and beyond in everything he did (though both he and Omar seemed to do it as a matter of really caring about their guests) and was efficient and professional. All in all, staying here reminds you of what GREAT service is. Top notch but without paying almost five hundred dollars a night. This hotel, with it's focus on the details and excellence has become one of my top five favorites anywhere. I will DEF. be staying again.

Room Tip: No worry, they are all the same and all great.
5 Thank Atlasheld
YMCSanJuan, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, 25 April 2011
Saludos Atlasheld,

Thank you so much for your great review. I will make sure to personally congratulate the tem members that you have mentioned for personifying our guests experience. It was great to read that our hotel has become one of your top five favorites anywhere. This is what we strive for! The investment of hours spent in training and discussing how we can make a difference with our guest is paid with repeat business and guest loyalty. Thank you once again and if I can be of assistance to you in any way please do not hesitate to contact me at yodil.caban@hilton.com.

Always at your service,

Yodil M. Caban
yodil.caban@hilton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
N Ireland
Reviewed 23 April 2011

I can see why this hotel has so many great reviews in terms of the facilities, rooms and attention to detail. The hotel was spotless and modern in design. We stayed here for one night pre-cruise.

For me the thing that sets in firmly in the very good category rather than excellent, is the service and arrangment at breakfast. Breakfast selection is limited and the way the food is set out makes it difficult to reach as the area is so small.

That said, I would definitely stay at this friendly and welcoming hotel again.

1 Thank Elizabeth7
Chantilly, Virginia
Reviewed 20 April 2011

This hotel was wonderful, they let us check in at 4am no extra charge, and the building feels very well kept. The rooms were outstanding. I had a small room but I felt like I was living large. It seem like they just renovated them. The breakfast is expencive but thats expected. They are right across the street from a super market. Bebo's Cafe is right down the street. A livelyier side if town is a few blocks down. This hotel was wonderful, they let us check in at 4am no extra charge, and the building feels very well kept. The rooms were outstanding. I had a small room but I felt like I was living large. It seem like they just renovated them. The breakfast is expensive but that's expected. They are right across the street from a super market. Bebo's Cafe is right down the street. A livelier side if town is a few blocks down. The shampoo and soap they provided were awesome, And the towel service was great to. Soo much more I could say...

Room Tip: Get to Bebo's its a local favorite
1 Thank datadinkusmc001
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 April 2011

We stayed at the Doubletree for 2 nights prior to our cruise. I did my research and was very happy we picked this hotel. All the staff members were kind and helpful, from when we arrived to our departure. We loved the warm chocolate chip cookies when we checked in...our room was ready and the bellman took our luggage up with us to our room, and on our way gave us a run down of the hotel and surrounding area. After we checked in we walked over to the 24hr. supermarket across the street and picked up some snacks and just relaxed by the pool. That evening we walked to Bebo's for dinner....we really enjoyed our dinner and went the following night again as well! Our room was very nice - the beds were very comfortable, and the room was clean and nicely kept. They did have little complimentary toiletrees in the bathroom, but when the strap on my dress snapped, the front desk gave us a sewing kit so I could sew it up. Overall everyone was very friendly, the hotel common areas were nice and modern, the coffee was delicious, the gym was well equipped, they had free wifi throughout the property, the hottub was relaxing and overall we were very pleased with our stay. We did take a taxi to old San Juan, which we really enjoyed. We were sad to leave but excited to get our cruise....I can clearly understand why this hotel was rated #1. I recommend this hotel if your visitng San Juan.

Room Tip: nice location...well kept rooms...comfortable beds
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MaryK_8
DoubletreeSanJuan, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, 22 April 2011
Hola MaryK_8,
Thank you for staying with us prior to your cruise. I am delighted to read that you found our staff to be helpful and kind throughout your stay. I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com if I can be of any assistance.
Always at your service,

Bo Bramsen
Director of Operations
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 April 2011

We Had to stay here because the original reservation at the Hotel Iberia was NASTY thank god they were close this is what a vacation hotel should be like.Thanks to the staff and managment for your help. We loved it.....Goshin Ryu Karate School...
if you need to contct me here is the info. THANK YOU www.goshin-ryu.com

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Haslemere, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2011

We stayed at the Doubletree after reading all the good reviews here and as it was just the night before a cruise, we weren't concerned that it wasn't beachfront.

First impressions were good - next to a nice condo complex with restaurants and a 24-hour supermarket opposite which would come in handy. There was quite a queue for check in, being a Saturday afternoon and two ships leaving the following day but it didn't take long. I confirmed our pre-cruise rate with the clerk, but he didn't seem very informed (it included welcome drinks, breakfast and late check out). After talking to a colleague he said that he would have our vouchers sent up to the room. The room itself was compact but very modern, clearly recently renovated and the bed extremely comfortable. The bathroom had a great walk-in shower but although it was nice having daylight via the glass bricks and opaque bathroom glass door, you could feel rather exposed if you were sharing with a friend instead of a partner. By dinner time our vouchers hadn't arrived, so we asked at reception and they hand wrote some drinks vouchers for the lobby bar telling us they'd organise the breakfast vouchers. These were waiting for us in the room when we returned from dinner.

We had dinner at Under the Trees in the adjacent condo complex. We decided to sit outside to enjoy the warm evening, but inside it was all white, trees and water cascading down glass panels. The food and service were good too.

The included breakfast was very good with attentive staff and a wide selection of food.

Some reviewers have mentioned that the beach is quite a walk, but it can't be more than 5-7 mins normal pace. You can virtually see the tops of the oceanfront condo buildings as you leave the hotel. It's quite a residential area with individual Spanish hacienda houses amid new and not so new apartment blocks. There are also a number of restaurants within walking distance if you don't want to eat at the two next to the Doubletree. Central Condado itself is maybe 15-20 mins east along Ashford Av and is quite a contrast with its larger upscale hotels and designer shops. There's a nice beachfront park and pier which gives a good view along the beachfront.

I would have no hesitation in staying at the Doubletree again despite the issue with vouchers which seems a rather old-fashioned concept in 21st century when lobby drinks and breakfast could just be charged to the room then deducted from the final bill.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TravelGav
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Twenty five of us stayed at the Doubletree in San Juan prior to going on a cruise. I had booked with them several months prior to our stay and had great communications with them throughout. They recommended and very good place to eat that was within walking distance. In addition, they recommended 3 different transportation companies for us to use. All three were contacted and and we told them what we were looking for regarding transportation from and to the air port plus a tour of San Juan prior to our cruise. The staff at the Doubletree were very helpful throughout the entire time working with them. The rooms appeared to have been remodeled recently and were very nice. It was a great value for the money and as always their chocolate chip cookies were great and plentiful. Thanks for a fun and smooth experience.

• Stayed March 2011