“Better than the typical Doubletree”

Doubletree by Hilton San Juan
Ranked #10 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 25 November 2012

We stayed here one night after a miserable night at Hotel Plaza de Armas in Old San Juan. This is a great hotel located in trendy Condado. Only a $7 cab ride from Old San Juan. The staff was very friendly and helpful. There is a 24 hr supermarket across the street which is convenient to get coffee or other Puerto Rican gifts. It is a short walk to the beach and to the lovely restaurants and shops of Condado. Our room was quite modern, very clean, free wi-fi, and they gave us beach priveleges to their sister resort. I have stayed in many Doubletree properties over the years, and this was definitely the nicest. They also have a nice happy hour every day with 2 for 1 drinks.

3  Thank Laurie_loves_gators
DoubletreeSanJuan, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2012

Hola Laurie_loves_gators,
Thank you for your kind review. I was happy to read that you were able to take advantage of our Beach Club, which gives you access to our beach front sister properties. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com if I can be of any further assistance.

Reviewed 24 November 2012

Stayed here over Thanksgiving while visiting family. I've visited San Juan about 7 times in the past 12 years, and this is the first hotel I plan to have a repeat stay. The property was well maintained and very modern. Service and the staff were excellent. Diana (front desk mgr?) was outstanding. We were put in the wrong room at first (queen bed), but were smoothly transitioned to the king room we reserved. If you can swing a king room, I highly recommend that as it was bigger than the queen making it much more reasonable in size (queen was too small for me). We were in Room 2010 which has sliders to your own patio. You could step off the pation to the terrace in front of about 10 similar rooms, then down a few steps to the pool. This was the best location in the whole property!

Food was very good. Gym was very nice, but limited with a few cardio machines and a rack of free weights. The hotel's locations was excellent too: across from a supermarket and near plenty of dining with a 2-3 short block walk to the beach. Self parking is a bit of a walk (ask for directions) and you need to get your ticket validated at the front desk every time you re-park, so I recommend $5/day more for valet convenience (I'll do that next time for sure).

Enjoy

Room Tip: King room with patio is best location to enjoy outdoor space and roomier than queen rooms.
5  Thank SunFunSun

Hola SunFunSun,
Thank you for spending your Thanksgiving with us. I am happy to read that Diana was able to accommodate you with your requested King-size room. Also, I am proud to read that we are the first hotel that you plan to re-visit. Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com and I will be happy to assist you with your reservation.

Reviewed 22 November 2012

My sister and I stayed overnight at the DoubleTree at the end of our cruise. This hotel is beautiful, and the staff is awesome! From Antonio's greeting and handling of our bags at the door to being escorted to the front desk to the free drinks we were given while waiting for our room to be available (we were there early), we were treated as if we were staying at the Ritz-Carlton. Actually, I imagine the staff was a lot friendlier at the DoubleTree than they would be at any snooty hotel! Plus, the warm cookie at check-in was incredible and hit the spot for two weary cruisers.

The room was comfortable and immaculate with a very nice TV with excellent channel selections. The bathroom in our room was striking. Clean and minimal with glass, chrome, and wood. The pool area was small but beautiful, and there was plenty of nice seating at the pool area and in front of the hotel. My sister smokes, and she felt very safe and welcome smoking in the lounge area in front of the hotel. I appreciated the free in-room WiFi as well as the fast Internet and quality printer in the Business Center.

Additionally, there were several nice eateries within a very short walking distance. We ate at Bebos, which is an inexpensive local place about 1.5 short blocks from the hotel. It was recommended by the staff, and it was excellent.

What I was most appreciative of during our stay was that our 5:30 a.m. departure didn't throw off anyone. There was cheerful staff at the front desk to assist us with check-out, and the valet helped us with a taxi. I was afraid we'd be on our own at such an early hour, but the DoubleTree staff took good care of us as we started our trip home. Their care was greatly appreciated!

I wish we had scheduled a couple of days just to be pampered at the DoubleTree. I've already recommended it to 2 people here in Oklahoma City, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants a good place to stay in San Juan. It's particularly good for people catching a cruise in San Juan because it's about half-way between the pier and the airport.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites at the front end of our cruise, and there were several small issues with our stay that made us appreciate the DoubleTree even more. When I visit San Juan again (and I will!), I will definitely stay at the DoubleTree for my entire visit.

Room Tip: We stayed on the side facing the street on the 5th floor (room 510), plus it was by the elevator, an...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank DonnaOKC
DoubletreeSanJuan, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2012

Hola DonnaOKC,
Thank you for your kind review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us after your cruise and that our staff was able to assist you with all your needs. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com if I can be of any further assistance.

Reviewed 22 November 2012

The hotel was very clean. The customer service and valet guys extremely polite and very helpful with directions. A little further from main old town but overall I will stay at this hotel again. The down side is parking was very pricey for $16 a day.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank lizJN
Reviewed 22 November 2012

Stayed at the Doubletree for one night post transatlantic cruise. Booked it based on the reviews by Tripadvisor members.
On arrival, we were met by Antonio, who greeted us in a very friendly manner and took care of our luggage.
Check in was very quick and friendly, and even though we arrived at the hotel about 08.30, we were given access to our room right away. We were surprised and delighted with this. Excellent customer service.
The room was spacious, comfortable, and spotlessly clean. Full marks to the maid service.
Another plus for this hotel is the free internet access. We did not travel with a laptop, and were pleasantly surprised to find we had free access to a computer room just off reception with computers supplied. Brilliant....why can't all hotels offer this service?
We did not eat in the hotel as we like to eat in local restaurants. The hotel is only a short walk from Ashford, which has plenty of food outlets.
Did not receive our chocolate chip cookie on arrival....will ask for two the next time as we will definitely stay at this hotel again.

4  Thank GlasgowRobbo

Hola GlasgowRobbo,
Thank you for your recent stay with us and for your kind review. I was happy to read that you had a fantastic stay with us and that we were able to provide you with early check-in. I have shared your comments with Antonio, who was thrilled to know of the positive impact he had on your stay. I am sorry you did not receive our delicious DoubleTree cokie. I will make sure to give you extras when you return. Please feel free to contact me at bo.bramsen@hilton.com if I can be of any future assistance.

Reviewed 21 November 2012

I stayed here during the week of October 9, 2012. The Hotel was clean and the staff was very friendly. I was not disappointed and enjoy the stay very much. The location of the Hotel was exellent and close to the places I visited during my stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Skyrunner64
Reviewed 21 November 2012

Phenomenal place to stay. Retro acted our aaa membership at checkout. Helped us find tours from the city. Very helpful. cookies at checkin are pretty dang good too! We used E&B tours, also great experience. Would stay again...in a heartbeat.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Josh D
DoubletreeSanJuan, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2012

Hola Josh D,
Thank you for your recent stay with us and for your kind review. I was happy to see that we were able to assist you with finding tours to go explore the island. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com if I can be of further assistance.