Doubletree by Hilton San Juan
  • Breakfast included
US$259
US$252
2,966 results
All reviewsdouble treemurphy bedgrocery store across the streethour supermarketwarm cookiescafe pierrebebo's cafeself parkingpool and hot tubbusiness centerpool areaopen hoursfew blocksvery nice hotelresort feepre cruise stayfitness center
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Doubletree Hotel - Avenida de Diego, San Juan Puerto Rico

My husband and I arrived on an early morning flight on December 28. Although I had requested for an early check-in, we weren't lucky. Word of advise, if you're traveling during peak or holiday season, don't opt for an early arrival. Unless you are one of those who hit the ground touring on the day of arrival, you'll probably be like us stuck in a hotel lobby waiting for room availability. In fairness to Doubletree, standard check-in is at 3:00 pm. We were given our room at around noon.
We stayed a total of 3 nights. Our room was clean; toiletries provided were from Evelyn and Crabtree. Wifi in the room had strong connection. This was a big plus in my book since I use my Ipad a lot. Hotel staff were personable and courteous.
Another plus was the SuperMax grocery right across the street. The grocery is open 24 hours and has a deli section that serves breakfast until around 10 am then switches to lunch entrees. After 8 pm the warm food selections are limited to pizza and roast chicken (similar to what's sold at Safeway). Cold deli selections consist of salads, wraps and cold cuts sold by the gram. Liquor , wine and beer selection is quite extensive although I did notice that Johnny Walker, Jack Daniels and sake were $10 to $15 higher than prices in mainland USA.
In a corner section inside SuperMaxwas a small Banco Popular banking center with an ATM machine. In Puerto Rico, there are no bank locations for Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Chase, or Citibank. This was an "ah hah" moment for me considering that Puerto Rico is a US territory and the national currency is the US dollar. Your only means to access cash is through Banco Popular or generic ATM machines. Transaction fees vary; my transaction fee set me back $4.
There are a number of restaurants within walking distance of the Doubletree. The more popular restaurants and nightlife are on Ashford Avenue a longer walk from Doubletree. If you're looking for a livelier night scene, the Doubletree may not be an ideal location (opt for Candado Hilton, Radisson, or other hotels lining Ashford Avenue.
Doubletree is also quite a distance from the airport or Old San Juan. I noticed that the cab drivers did not use the meter. Cab fare between airport to Doubletree was $21. Cab fare to Old San Juan was $18; return trip was $15.
All in all our stay at Doubletree was pleasant. Our bill included a resort fee (fully disclosed by the hotel) which we did not use. I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sycalopz
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Greeted with warm chocolate chip cookies! That is the way to my heart! Great location for the cruise port . Room was very nice , with lots of updates, clean, coffee maker , well worth the money for staying in San Juan.
Great service, staff was very helpful in getting us a taxi. Free internet is always a plus. Would definitely reccommend it .

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SeeGodsWorld
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Hotel has a cute bar and restaurant Plus a Starbucks too! ALSO is located on front of a 24 hours Supermarket! The staff were great as well. I was available to use the business center with no problem. I did not used the gym but it looked nice. They also hava washer and dryers at the hotel and they provide the laundry detergent and softner at the front desk at not cost! My bedroom was a little small, but my overall experience was good.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Emma R
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Good amenities and courteous, helpful staff. Room could have been a bit bigger but very nice view. Hotel should also provide amenities like shower cap but beyond that it was a very pleasant stay and I recommend this place highly!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Aparna C
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Does not have the qualities one would expect from a Hilton Hotel. Very pricey for what you get. The location is not great if you want to be close to the beach and dining options. We were not comfortable walking at night with our children.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Tara L
YMCSanJuan, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Saludos TaraL,

As a guest centric cultured hotel, we always want our guests to have a great stay and we are truly sorry that you did not have this experience. With 4 restaurants to choose from, right at the hotel, Café Pierre (International/American cuisine), Under The Trees (fresh salads, soups, pasta and local fare ), Silk (Asian fusion cuisine offering a live sushi bar) and Starbucks, within walking distance to the popular Condado area with a various of casinos, restaurants and bars, 24hr supermarket across the street, 3 blocks from Ocean Park Beach and parks, Puerto Rico Art Museum with its children art center and a bus stop right in front of the hotel that is a straight shot to Old San Juan, we do hope that our guests do venture out to enjoy the surrounding area. Our location does have more of a local vibe, and is as safe as any city. If possible please contact me at yodil.caban@hilton.com as I would like to mend your feelings and hopefully have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel.

Always at your service,