“Doubletree By Hilton, San Juan-- Perfection!”

Doubletree by Hilton San Juan
Ranked #11 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Boca Raton, Florida
“Doubletree By Hilton, San Juan-- Perfection!”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

First and foremost I would like to thank the staff at the Doubletree Hilton, San Juan. This was my first trip to San Juan and had a great time. As an openly gay person, I was a little nervous about how accepting San Juan, PR would be. As I arrived to the fornt desk of the Doubletree, we were greeted by Peter (Front Desk Staff). Peter made us feel so welcomed and comfortable. No matter what we needed or had questions about, Peter was able to answer/help us. Peter's professionalism was EXCELLENT! When we would leave the hotel at night, Peter ensured that we knew how to get to the places we were going. Peter is one of many people who helped as we stayed for a week at the Doubletree. As a gay male, Peter made our trip and we are greatful to have met him. Their were two valet staff members that were helpful as well- Anthony and Will. They both were great and let us know about places to visit in Old San Juan. We had a great time staying here and I would encourage others to stay at the Doubletree Hilton, San Juan. Overall the hotel was very clean, great services, clean pool and welcoming. Thank you all for everything and we will be back.

Room Tip: We loved the 2nd floor that has balconys- opens to the pool and great views.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Octaviano R
YMCSanJuan, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Saludos OctavianoR,

Gracias!! for such a great review of our hotel and staff. I will make sure to congratulate Peter, Anthony and Will for their commitment to our guest centric culture. We do hope to welcome you back soon and if we can be of asstiance to you in any way please do contact us directly at 1-877-926-3030 or by e-mail at reservations@sjdoubletree.com.

Always at your service,

Yodil Cabán
yodil.caban@hilton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 8 March 2014

The Doubletree carries a ridiculous amount of hidden fees. While other hotels offer free parking, we were forced to pay $15+tax per day for parking.

Most insulting was a resort charge of $23.80 - while we got nothing from it! For example, there is no breakfast. The pool is unusable for adults because it is completely full of children.

This was the worst place we stayed in PR. If you want a completely opposite experience, go to the Hacienda Siesta near the National Rainforest. It was amazing.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank k63283
YMCSanJuan, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Saludos k63283,

I am truly sorry to read that you were unhappy with some of the charges, and I apologize if the charges weren't clear when you booked your stay. We work hard to personalize each guest's experience and are willing to customize our packages to our guest needs or desired experience. Currently we offer packages that include parking, breakfast, tours and even car rental. We do encourage our guest to contact us directly at 1-877-926-3030 or by e-mail at reservations@sjdoubletree.com should they have any questions or concerns. We do hope to be given the opportunity to of service to you, should your travels bring you back to San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Always at your service,

Yodil Cabán
yodil.caban@hilton.com
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Impecable rooms, with safe box, microwave and coffee maker. Very nice and helpful staff. They really went the extra mile to help me with tours and transportation. Wonderful service. Good restaurants and coffee shops nearby. The hotel is walking distance from Ashford Street, where there are many more restaurants, stores and shops. My stay at Double Tree was more than comfortable, safe, enjoyable.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

5 Thank Linette Y
Boston, United States
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I had to stay at this hotel unexpectedly when I ended up stranded. The staff was able to accommodate me with a rate I could afford so I didn't have to search all over the city. It was a very tranquil, clean, and safe feeling environment. The staff at the front desk were very friendly and helpful, as was the staff at Under the Trees restaurant. The food was a little expensive, but very good. The gym and hot tub facilities were also very nice and accessible 24 hours a day.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

2 Thank Dessri G
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I stayed at the Doubletree in San Juan for six nights with my family and I really like this place.
We had a room with direct access to the pool which is really convenient especially travelling with kids. There is also a small terrasse with a small table and two chairs. Pretty handy if you don't want go to sleep the time as your kids.
The breakfast is excellent with lots of choices. The staff in the restaurant is very friendly and eager to provide a great service. If you ask for something you be pretty sure to have within a minute or two!
Another great thing about the hotel is that it is just one minute away from a pretty big supermarket and there's also a Starbucks right next to the hotel.
All in all, I'd say that The Doubletree San Juan is highly recommendable.

Room Tip: Rooms with direct access to the pool area are great both when traveling with or without kids
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Bigbluedk
Bronx, New York
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I stayed at the Doubletree by Hilton San Juan for three nights in February 2014, and it was perfect for my needs. It is a hotel that caters mostly to business people, which I didn't know going in, but which turned out to be great. This meant that the pool area was basically empty and very quiet during most of the day--I would say about 6-8 people were usually there. The pool is relatively small and I imagine lots of people walk down to the beach, so it's perfect if you're like me and enjoy reading a book by the pool and going for a quick swim to cool off once in awhile.

The pool area also has different places to sit--lounge chairs in the sun, tables with umbrellas and chairs in the shade--also great if you don't want to spend all your time soaking up rays. The best rooms are the ones on the first floor that open out onto the pool area. They have small private decks with overhangs (perfect for days when there are morning showers--you can have your coffee outside and enjoy the warm rain while staying dry). I stayed on the fourth floor overlooking the pool--I had been concerned that there might be noise coming from the pool, which is open 24 hours. There was not! No noise! Wonderful! I would not hesitate to get a ground floor room next time.

The fact that this is primarily a business hotel also means that you will probably not be disturbed by people coming back to their rooms at 3am, drunk and rowdy. If you want quiet and privacy, this is a great place. On the other hand, if you're looking for a place to party and socialize with other guests, this is not the place for you.

My room was small but perfect, with wonderful a/c/fan that was easily regulated. The bathroom was spotless and the shower hot with excellent water pressure. There is more than enough room in the closets and drawers for your stuff, with a desk for your laptop and a small chair and table by the window for lounging. The flatscreen tv gets all the usual American basic cable channels.

The staff is wonderful and helpful--I lost my room key card and was given another one without any charge or hassle or even disapproving look!

If you stay here, I urge you to explore Condado by walking along Ashford Avenue and also Diego Avenue. I went to Hacienda every morning for coffee--their cafe con leche is amazing! There are lots of restaurants in the area, and a 24 hour supermarket is located right across the street. My room had a small fridge, ice bucket, and coffee maker, so it was easy to have snacks available if I wanted them. The restaurant Under the Trees is located right across the courtyard--there's also a Starbucks there--and they have very good if pricey food that you can eat at an outside table if you wish. The hotel's own restaurant looked good, but I didn't eat there because of all the other choices.

Overall, highly recommended! I hope to go back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
8 Thank GailJ23
Naples, United States
Reviewed 28 February 2014

The DoubleTree, San Juan was a welcome find as business travel took me to Puerto Rico in the high season. The hotel itself and its grounds were attractive and well kept, and the price was right as compared to the beachfront resorts.

Also to its credit, the staff was friendly and helpful. English is freely spoken in an effort to make the non-Spanish-speaking guests feel comfortable. The Continental Breakfast was better than many I have had at more expensive properties and the additional restaurants on the property offered both a high end, fine dining as well as a whole foods/organic option.

The DoubleTree, San Juan is conveniently located and well priced. There is no doubt that I would return on business.

Room Tip: Request a room with a Pool View
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business