“Cozy and Clean rooms and friendly staff!”

Doubletree by Hilton San Juan
Ranked #11 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 30 September 2009

We only stayed one night before we went to Vieques, we chose the Doubletree because of the reviews on this site and the value.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, the room was small, but very nicely appointed and clean; a most effective use of the space. The courtyard pool and whirlpool looked amazing, but it was raining, so we didn't go in.

When we come back to San Juan, this is on the top of my list for places to stay.

2  Thank Josh D
There are newer reviews for Doubletree by Hilton San Juan

Reviewed 29 September 2009

The hotel is beautiful. Very contemporary. The staff is wonderful. They are helpful, knowledgable and pleasant. They gym was excellent. The pool and spa open 24 hours. Very clean hotel!!!! A 24 hr grocery store across the street. Art museum a 5 min walk. The bristro in the hotel was expensive for the quality. Under the Trees across the lot was a great atmosphere and a good value for the quality. Very close the airport and the cruise ports. Tours booked through the hotel were fantastic. We told them what we wanted they did everything, we just showed up in the lobby at the time they told us. I would stay here again as a family vacation or just as a get away for two. Oh and the warm chocolate chip cookies are great at check in.

3  Thank Going1Going2Gone3
Reviewed 22 September 2009

I came to this hotel since year 2002; I stayed here for business purposes at least six to eight times per year (four days minimum, each stay)
As a guest, I supported the entire remodeling of the hotel that took more than two years because the excellent location and great customer service at the front desk that made me feel like at home. When the hotel become Hilton (End of year 2008) I stayed until today’s date four times and I can confirm the reservations process doesn't work good or better said it is not the same as it was in the past. For my last stay I called five times the past week from the states to the Hotel in Puerto Rico to make the reservations and after greeting the person who answered the phone he transfer the call to reservations. Them put me on hold, and after long waiting (more than five minutes), I hung-up and called back again and again. I thought that they were very busy that day and called back the day after and the waiting was the same, so I called back and inform the person who answered the phone what was going on and she transferred my call to the Hilton reservations center in the US, where I finally booked my reservations. Because I felt loyal to the hotel I called back to Puerto Rico asking for the general Manager Mr. Yodil to inform him what was happening, and after confirming that he was at the office I requested one of his assistants to transfer my call to him. He didn't take the call, I called back him twice presuming to speak with him and left a voice message asking for a call back, and he never did. When I checked in on, September 14th, 2009 I asked for him to inform about this but again he IGNORED me. This is the reason why I am writing this review. In general I am satisfied with the hotel, specially I like the location and the front desk customer service is outstanding; but as a person, I don’t feel good when the Manager ignores me not one but more than four times. I will do my research to find a hotel close to this area to switch for next stays and I really recommend the travelers to test the reservation process calling to [--]

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank CarlosMCardona
YMCSanJuan, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2009

Dear TripAdvisor User,

We truly appreciate your loyalty to our hotel and I am genuinely heartbroken that as a repeat guest you would depart our hotel with the feelings that you have expressed. I personally want to apologize for the inconvenience that you have mention. I try to make my self as accessible possible to all of our guests and actually encourage them to contact my via e-mail yodil.caban@hilton.com to make the arrangements to welcome them to our hotel. I am so sorry that I was not aware of your situation before, as I would have defiantly contacted you and taken the necessary measures to fix or improve the situation.

I am truly sorry that you had this negative experience and hope that you will see this as an isolated incident. I can assure you that this does not represent the efforts and willingness to serve of our entire staff. I thank you for you patience and understanding. When possible please contact me to see how we can offset this feeling.

Always at your service,

Yodil Caban

Reviewed 16 September 2009

Went with my husband for the first 2 nights of our honeymoon. It was an excellent choice. Our check-in was late after the wedding and we had no trouble with the process. Front desk clerk was actually waiting for us. Quick check-in, no hassle. The room was in excellent cleanliness state. Very comfortable. Only thing we thought was that refrigerator would be stocked and it was not. No biggie. Supermarket across the street very handy. Little misshap with the keycard and it was fixed very quickly. Staff very friendly. We didn’t go to pool or restaurants but they looked in good condition. Check out was as quick and easy as check-in. Overall, we loved our stay and would definitely go back.

2  Thank niom-k
Reviewed 15 September 2009

Very nice hotel, the rooms were very clean and had a great decor. The pool area was not that big but has everything you'll need in a pool area (kids pool, pool and jacuzzi). The fitness center is complete and open 24 hr. Overall the hotel is a 4 star in this review, but on our second day of staying, we got locked out for two with all of our things inside of the room and when we went to MOD (Diana) for help she told us that she could'nt send the employee to the room to open the door because he had to go on his break and she was not going to pay overtime to open my door. After the 2 hrs passed the employee opened the door but the MOD (Diana) was no were to be seened. The next day, the MOD (Jose) listened to our complaint and he took care of us.

When we checked out, we paid in cash, but we had to wait one week for them to give us the holding money on the credit card that we used for check-in.

PS - we would recommend this hotel only if Jose is around.

1  Thank C15w

Dear TripAdvisor User,

I am so sorry that you where inconvenienced by a mechanical situation with your door lock. I can assure you that this was an isolated incident and that we are taking measures to ensure that it does not reoccur. I remember discussing this case in our morning operations meeting where Diana had called on her day off to express her concerns and to make sure that we followed up with you. I am happy to read that Jose Cepero our Operations manager was able ease the situation and was able to take good care of you. Thank you for your understanding and for reviewing our hotel.

Always at your service,

Yodil Caban

Reviewed 14 September 2009

Hard to fault the DoubleTree, plus we had a bonus of getting a good internet deal on the rates. Whilst it's not located right on the beach like some of the more resortier hotels, its only a few minutes walk away, there is easy access to the old town and there are some great restaurants within easy walking distance. Staff are friendly and helpful, the hotel is clean and the service is good. Only downside is the extra charge for parking on site. Overall, well worth your money for San Juan

Reviewed 13 September 2009

We had booked a room at another hotel and were transferred here upon arrival due to the other hotel being overbooked. I was unhappy about this, but the staff here were very accomodating and friendly and the hotel was very clean. The rooms were typical hotel rooms, nothing fancy. They give you warm cookies at checkin which was nice. The pool is on the small side. There is a grocery store directly across the street which was convenient for buying supplies.

1  Thank Tropicsgirl101