Doubletree by Hilton San Juan
US$248
US$296
US$290
  • Breakfast included
Tres Palmas Inn(San Juan)(Great Value!)
US$175
Da House Hotel(San Juan)
US$134
US$130
  • Free Internet
Hotel Milano(San Juan)(Great Value!)
US$131
US$126
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
2,968 results
All reviewsdouble treemurphy bedgrocery store across the streethour supermarketwarm cookiescafe pierrebebo's cafeself parkingpool and hot tubbusiness centerpool areaopen hoursfew blocksvery nice hotelresort feepre cruise stayfitness center
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 April 2010

My husband and I just came back from a vacation in the Caribbean. The first four nights of our trip was in San Juan, Puerto Rico. As hotels in Puerto Rico are pretty expensive and heavily taxed, we decided to stay at the Doubletree San Juan, which had good rates for the days we were staying. The fact that Doubletree is a Hilton property and that particular Doubletree had gotten great reviews on Trip Advisor helped seal the deal. We collect Hilton Honors points and I've not yet been disappointed by Trip Advisor's advisories.

Location

The first thing to know about the Doubletree in San Juan is that it is not located in Old San Juan. It's in Condado, which is a newer part of town. Condado struck me as more of the business area in San Juan. It's also fairly close to the beach. To get to Old San Juan, you'll need to take the bus or a cab, unless you have a car at your disposal. If you plan to take the bus, be sure to have exact change (75 cents).

The fact that Doubletree is in Condado is not a bad thing if you want to go to the beach. There's a super handy 24 hour supermarket across the street from the Doubletree. We also enjoyed the awesome art museum which is within walking distance of the hotel.

Checking in

We arrived at the Doubletree at about 10:00pm. We were warmly greeted by Rafael, the bellhop. If you stay at the Doubletree in San Juan, be sure to get to know Rafael. He's always smiling and tremendously helpful! Tip him generously, because he deserves it! Throughout our stay, Rafael did everything he could to see that we felt welcome.

Our room

Our standard room was pretty small by American standards. We had a queen sized bed, a desk with wireless Internet, a large flat screen TV with local cable, a microwave, and a fridge. Ice was available down the hall and we had a Wolfgang Puck coffee maker.

There wasn't a very nice view from our window. Besides blackout shades, the windows were covered with a lighter shade that let in sunlight but kept out the depressing view.

The bathroom

The bathroom was very small, but stylishly appointed with a rainfall shower, a Villeroy and Boch toilet and sink, and Neutrogena toiletries.

Other hotel amenities

The San Juan Doubletree has a gift shop, complete with Godiva chocolates, a business center with free access to the Internet, a fitness center with Precor equipment, and a very nice pool area with manmade waterfalls, a hot tub, and lots of lounge chairs.

Aside from the fantastic Doubletree cookies one gets upon checking in (and from Rafael if he catches you looking crestfallen), the San Juan Doubletree has several restaurants. We tried one of them, Michael's Bistro, for breakfast our first day. Breakfast was not included in our rate and, to be honest, I thought it was a bit overpriced. I think we paid about $12 each for lukewarm eggs and bacon. The coffee left much to be desired. I would recommend going elsewhere for breakfast unless it's included in your stay. There are plenty of options nearby, including the 24 hour supermarket across the street. Breakfast is served there.

The Condado area also has some pretty good restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. If you're keen to eat onsite, there's Silk, which specializes in Asian food, Under The Trees, a pasta and omelet themed restaurant, and Alquimia, a wine and tapas bar. We didn't try any of these restaurants, which I think were located in the business area directly adjacent to the Doubletree. I can also recommend Bebo's Cafe, a great no-frills restaurant just around the corner from the Doubletree. We ate lunch there and not only was the food good and plentiful, it was also cheap!

The concierge

We were very impressed by the concierge, who was helpful when we decided to take a day trip to El Yunque. She helped us rent a car and gave us directions to the rainforest.

Our overall experience

We liked the Doubletree, though the bed was a bit harder than I would have liked it. While not being in Old San Juan kind of kept us out of the tourist action, we liked the Condado area because it was close to the beach and wasn't overrun with tourists waiting for cruise ships. The fact that it was somewhat less expensive than the resorts in San Juan made it even more attractive to us. And that supermarket across the street was very convenient!

I think we'd stay there again if we ever go back to Puerto Rico. It's clear that the San Juan Doubletree's manager is very concerned with customer service. He's got a great staff working for him.

7  Thank knotheadusc
Reviewed 30 April 2010

This was by far the best service I have received at any hotel. I have stayed at other Hilton's in the past and they did not come near the excellent service we received at this hotel. Antonio is the human version of Google on everything to do and see in Puerto Rico. He even gave us his cell phone number if we had any questions or needed anything at all when he was not at work. Rafael also provided excellent service and information on nightlife when deciding where to dine and where to go out. He made sure we were well taken care of as well. Everyone at this hotel was very friendly and willing to go out of their way to assist you in any way. Yodil's staff is definitely exceeding guest expectations daily. This hotel is located in the Condado district where you are minutes from the beach as well as Ashford St which has various restaurants, bars and casinos. You are in the middle of everything whether you choose to walk or take a taxi to any of the locations. Old San Juan is only a 10 minute taxi ride away. I will definitely return in the future and would highly recommend the Doubletree to anyone planning on visiting San Juan.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank vdiana975
Reviewed 30 April 2010

As others have already stated, this is a nice hotel and the service overall is quite good. I travel a lot for business and as such the needs you have for business are not the same for vacations. While I don't know that I would choose this hotel for a vacation, it met almost all of my needs as a business traveler. The wifi worked well everywhere in the hotel and was free, the rooms were nicely appointed and in good condition, there were decent public spaces to go work. Everyone I came into contact with was courteous and helpful.

A glaring omission for business travelers is the lack of room service beyond breakfast. I find this baffling as when you travel for work, you rarely have time to go out and find restaurants and often eat in the room. When I called the room service number, I was told that I could go down to the restaurant order and pick it up, but there was no menu in room and no actual room service. I do not find this acceptable in any way.

In addition, I found out that they don't actually serve lunch at all, only breakfast and dinner! This is another issue for business travelers.

I would trade the Godiva chocolate store that's in the lobby for real room service and a restaurant that serves all 3 meals.

In sum, this is a very good hotel that could be even better if they address the room service and overall restaurant offerings to what most business travelers would expect.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank jmfangio
Reviewed 29 April 2010

This is a great hotel and terrific neighborhood. The rooms are fantastic and might be the best appointed hotel I have stayed at in a long time. (The bathroom was really cool and the shampoos and soaps were neutrogena which I happen to love). The staff was friendly and efficient - rooms were kept very clean. The valet service folks were very friendly, always a big smile when we returned from one of day trips. The pool was lovely. We are not beach people so no big deal for us to not pay up to stay at a resort on the beach.

2  Thank TravelDTW
Reviewed 27 April 2010

I spent one night at the Doubletree prior to leaving San Juan on a cruise. The hotel was tucked into a neighborhood with a 24-hour supermarket across the street, office buildings, apartments, and some homes. It is a about a 10-15 walk to a beach, and a more "touristy" area that has a Fuddruckers and Starbucks.
The lobby and rooms were very clean. The bathroom/shower looked brand new and very clean. The restaurant, though, is small. We tried to have breakfast on a Saturday morning, and it was a 20-30 minute wait. We opted instead to pick up some breakfast items at the Supermarket across the street since we needed some items for our cruise.
The location is about 15 minutes from the airport and 15 minutes from the Pan American Pier, where our cruise left from, and 15 minutes from Old San Juan.
If you have a car or just need a one night stay prior to a cruise, then I would recommend this hotel. Otherwise, you'll need a taxi to take you wherever you want to go. A bus line does run directly in front of the hotel; however, the front desk staff advised me it was slow on the weekends because the buses don't run that frequently. If you have time, the bus would take you to Old San Juan.