“Nice enough hotel, but overpriced and overrated” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Doubletree by Hilton San Juan

Doubletree by Hilton San Juan
Ranked #11 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Rapid City, Michigan
“Nice enough hotel, but overpriced and overrated”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2011

Highlights: clean (except for filthy carpeting) modern, upscale contemporary furnishings. Great beds. Helpful staff.

Low-lights: expensive, minuscule rooms. European modern ambiance but completely lacking in charm. Tiny pool for such a large hotel. Poor dining options. Inconvenient location. Expensive parking.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
New Marshfield, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2011

Located a few blocks from the main Condado hotel district, this quiet, upscale hotel is close to the beach, restaurants and the action. Wonderful, courteous staff, nicely appointed rooms, lovely pool area and the best chocolate chip cookies in the world. Directly across the street is a large 24 hr. super market with a fabulous selection of wine and beer and prepared foods. The hotel's continental breakfast is more like a breakfast buffet and dinner at Michael's was quite good.

• Stayed January 2011
Joshua Tree, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2011

We enjoyed the Doubletree and had a wonderful room with sliding doors to walk out to the pool area and patio tables. My husband loved the big shower in our room. Our taxi driver mentioned the 24-hour market across the street also had a cafeteria - we had fun just seeing all the different things like root vegetables and fresh fruit in the huge market. We bought some things (sparkling cider, shrimp cocktail, cheese) to have a nice lunch buffet in our room. A pleasant walk several blocks to sit and see the ocean, and then back through residential area was nice. The waterfalls around the pool were relaxing to hear while reading a book and sunning. I was very happy that the front desk was able to accommodate our early arrival (had arrived back from cruise). All staff were excellent from the bellman to engineer to repair AC who put batteries in door monitor. We were able to hear the unique Coqui frogs in the evening when we were outside. Internet was fast for last-minute work. A wonderful day and evening in San Juan before flying back to the USA the next day - totally enjoyed the stay at the Doubletree.

1 Thank TropiCAL2003
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2011

Stayed here 5 days for business, based on the positive trip advisor ratings. Hotel is a little "out of the way" compared to other hotels in Condado, but only by a few blocks.

GOOD:
* Friendly, helpful staff
* Good location (near highway, but also near Condado stores and restaurants)
* Being right across the street from 24-hour supermarket -- big bonus!
* Clean rooms
* Microwave. refridgerator, and coffee maker in rooms

NEGATIVE: No really strong negatives, but minor stuff ..
* Gym is so-so for weightlifting ... no machines, and dumbells only up to 50lbs
* Rooms are smallish
* Could not get in-room internet (neither wireless or ethernet) to work

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2011

I really enjoyed staying at the Doubletree. We were looking for a place to stay in San Juan the night before our early flight. The hotel was clean, modern, and very upscale looking for the price. We got a taxi into Old San Juan to sightsee before returning to use the pool/hot tub area. All I can say is I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay there anytime I am back in Puerto Rico.

wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2011

when we arrived on Jan 1st we were greeted at the front desk with no surprises and warm cookies. The business center and pool area were great and we used the fitness room and had no problems except it was hot in there and the treadmills had no fans on them. Not a big deal. the rooms were clean and well maintained and as for the glass bathrooms we didn't have any issues with them as some reviews commented on. We stayed one night before and one night after a cruise that ended up being 2 nights cause our flight got cancelled. Being the great facility they are they gave us the same room for the second night for the same price even though we had gotten a great rate by pre-paying. In the end we loved this hotel and would definitely stay again the next time we go to San Juan. Also the store across the street is great for snacks and such also a fridge and microwave are nice in the room. On our last day there we got to watch the rehearsal for some kind of pageant thet was going on by the pool...interesting!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Lindenhurst, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2011

Where do I begin. My boyfriend and I were extremely disappointed in the location of the hotel. The hotel is surrounded by buildings. The ONLY good thing is the hotel is located near a supermarket (you can walk there from the hotel). We arrived to the hotel early - 10:30am (after leaving the port, Royal Caribbean, in San Juan). The drive is about 15-20 minutes. The taxi from the port to the hotel was $15 (the most the taxi will charge) plus an additional $1 for each piece of luggage. Our room was ready when we arrived. We absolutely loved the room. Very modern and newly re -renovated. The only negative thing I have to say about the room is there was a strong smell of paint. The pool is very small. There is a pool for adults and a pool for children. For the size of the hotel there were only 15 - 20 lounge chairs. So my boyfriend and I had the choice to either lay on a towel on the floor or to put two chairs together. The hotel did give us the option to use the pool at another hotel, which the only way you could get there was to take a taxi (which cost money). You could walk there, but it would take about 20 to 30 minutes to get there. To me this is not how you spend a vacation. Unfortunately around 2 pm I received a phone call that my grandfather passed away. My boyfriend and I immediately packed out bags and left the hotel to make our flight for 5 (the drive to the airport was about 10-15 minutes). About 10 days later I had called the hotel because 1) MY CREDIT CARD WAS CHARGED TWICE 2) I felt that the hotel should reimburse me back partial of my money since I only stayed 4 hours. I spoke to someone from the front desk and he told me there was nothing they could do for me. Then I had asked to speak to a manager. At first he told me there was nothing he could do for me. After insisting, he eventually told me the only thing he could do was to charge me for using there facilities which is $75 plus taxes which ended up costing me $94, which I think is absolutely ridiculous. I WILL NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL AGAIN. Also, the hotel (which they don't tell you until you get there) will charge you credit card an additional $50 for room service or restaurant, but if you don't use either one they will put the $50 back on your credit card (so look for that). I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Melissae5784
YMCSanJuan, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, 19 January 2011
Saludos Melissae5784,

First and for most of all I would like to express our condolences for your family’s lost and hope that you have found peace during this period. If possible please contact me at yodil.caban@hilton.com to see in which way I can mend this situation that you have mentioned. I must apologize that the front office manager was not able to give you the resolution you expected. After speaking with him he was disheartened that we where not made aware of the situation until receiving your call 10 days after. I would like to have the to opportunity to offset your views of our hotel, if possible please contact me.

Best regards,