“Very nice - good price”

Doubletree by Hilton San Juan
Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 12 March 2011

We stayed here the night before our cruise and it was the perfect spot! Our kids were in heaven with the pool. We stayed in one of the rooms right off of the patio and it allowed the children to have quick access to the pool as well as the hot tub. There were great games for the kids to play as well.
Breakfast included was amazing. The staff of the hotel could not help us out more to accommodate our late check out. They took care of our bags while we lounged around the pool for the afternoon. Well worth every penny!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank ssfg

Reviewed 11 March 2011

We arrived a day early for our cruise. After reading all the comments about this hotel it was a no brainer not to stay here. Every positive comment we had heard was correct.
It was not as close to the beach as I had thought. When I asked for directions to the beach, I was given a letter so that we could spend the day at their sister hotel, La Chonch.
After a 10 minute walk we had the beach we wanted, with lounge chairs, cabanas, towel service etc.
The Under the Trees restaurant was excellent and affordable.

1  Thank jimbo65
Reviewed 8 March 2011

The hotel itself was very nice. It was clean, help was very prompt if needed, location was pretty good, but I did have a couple issues.

I'll start with the negatives (which isn't really the fault of the hotel, but still something to be aware of). I booked our vacation through a 3rd party website and so I thought I was getting a great deal. The problem is that there is a $15 charger per day to park your car at the hotel parking garage! There is also a 15% tax that I was not aware of in the beginning. So overall the stay ended up being quite a bit more expensive than I had planned.

The room was nearly spotless when we got there. We also were given a couple of very good cookies as a welcome. Since the airline lost our luggage, the hotel did have toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, and other toiletries for us which was a lifesaver.
The room included a mini fridge, microwave, safe, iron and ironing board, blowdryer, a small LCD TV. It had a shower but no bath tub which was fine with us.

The location was about a 5-10 minute walk to the nearest beach. It took about 5-10 minutes to drive to the Plaza Las Americas (largest mall in the Caribbean). It was very large (300+ stores, 11,000+ parking spaces) and very nice. The hotel was approximately a 5-10 minute drive to Old San Juan. It took approximately 30-40 minutes to drive to Fajardo. It was also about 10 minutes from the international airport.

There are a few restaurants in the hotel. We ate at Under The Trees 4 or 5 times and it was great every time. We did not try the other two places, but they both looked good as well. There are also plenty of other restaurants near the hotel, and definitely a lot in Old San Juan if you want to drive just a little bit farther.

The fitness center was very small. It had cardio equipment and dumbbells up to 50lbs. I believe that was all that was in there. The pool was fairly small, but it did the job and was nice. They do have 3 public computers if you wanted to get on the Internet.

Overall we were both satisfied with our stay. The hotel seemed more like a business-person type of hotel more than a family for vacationing, but it worked just fine for us. I like to try new hotels every time I go somewhere, but I would not mind going back to this hotel.

1  Thank joel22484
Reviewed 5 March 2011

We stayed at the Doubletree a day before our cruise based on the reviews on Trip Advisor. We were not disappointed. The room itself was pretty tight for three people and all of our cruise luggage when the murphy bed was pulled down. The design and furnishings of the room were very sleek and modern. The beds were comfortable and we slept well. The staff was friendly, happy and helpful. We liked the hotel so much that we have reservations for next year. We plan to stay longer next time.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Surfercisco
Reviewed 4 March 2011

This was a 3-day stay prior to a cruise and we were glad we were in such good hands.
The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The rooms were clean and comfortable, with adequate light and temperature controls. Internet access was available for free. Breakfasts included juice, coffee, eggs, sausage, bacon, and either french toast or pancakes. Some days, there was a fruit and yogurt station. The pool was comfortable and relaxing. However, the best part was having a reciprocal agreement with the Concha Resort (a 20 minute walk) . This hotel is right on the beach, with pools, pool service and a bar and restaurant, all really nice options.
We would stay tat the Doubletree again!

1  Thank roomtogo
Reviewed 1 March 2011

From the moment I entered the hotel, after a 7 day cruise, I felt at home. Miguel, at the front desk, welcomed me and had a room made up for me so that I could relax...hours before check-in time. Antonio and Yamira graciously arranged the tours I wanted to go on, and Bo, the operations manager stopped to chat when I told him that one of the reasons I had chosen the Doubletree.was that he seemed to care enough about his hotel to read and respond to the comments left by visitors on Trip Advisor. Before I knew it, a beautiful platter of fresh fruit was delivered to my room, compliments of Bo. I was also pleased to find that there was a refrigerator, microwave and pod coffee maker in the room.
Throughout my four day stay, all of the staff members were helpful. On the day I left, Omar allowed me to check out late, even though the hotel had full occupancy...and gave me two of those fabulous warm chocolate chip cookies upon my departure.
The only shortcoming I found was that, although the room was extremely clean, staff was a bit careless in neatness. Nothing that would stop me from returning and highly recommending this wonderful hotel. (And knowing Bo, when he reads this, the matter will be addressed and will not happen again.) If I've left anyone out, I apologize because everyone I dealt with went out of his/her way to be of service.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank LadyTraveler444
DoubletreeSanJuan, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2011

Hola LadyTraveler444,
It was a pleasure speaking with you during your stay. I am flattered by your kind review, which I have shared with Miguel, Antonio, Yamira, Omar and the entire staff. I am happy that we were all able to make your stay a memorable one.
Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com if I can be of any future assistance.
Always at your service,

Bo Bramsen
Operations Manager
bo.bramsen@hilton.com

Reviewed 28 February 2011

This hotel was excellent. They service was impecable. We had forgotten a few bathroom items and room service provided them for us. We were on our way for a cruise but had a few hours to spare so we wanted to go into Old San Juan. They offered to hold our luggage at no charge, or made the recommendation we take our luggage to the ship first then to Old San Juan -that would save us about $40 in cab fare. They also made great recommendations for local authentic restaurants for great food. Wonderful stay.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank VacaGirlLexington_KY
DoubletreeSanJuan, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2011

Hola VacaGirlLexington_KY,
It was a pleasure reading that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am happy to see that we were able to help you out with toiletries, which you had left behind.
We are more than happy to help hold the luggage of our guests until they leave for the airport our cruise ship docks. Late check-outs can also be requested based upon availability.
Always at your service,