“Small Inn in Condado”

Casa Del Caribe Inn
Ranked #20 of 30 San Juan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed here for a night pre-cruise. This is a small, no frills B & B. No complaints on cleanliness, but the rooms were not as nice as one would have hoped. It took us a while to figure out the lighting system as the system of switches is quite awkward. There was no staff on duty past 5PM, so no one to ask if one had questions. You had to leave the property and go to another one owned by the same people that is around the corner if you needed anything. It was noisy at night and sounded like someone was having a fight in the courtyard behind our room. It made us feel uneasy, as we did not feel that our room door was substantial. There were panhandlers on the main street where the restaurants were located. This made us a bit uncomfortable, as we were not sure about personal safety in this area. We are used to staying in an area of Old San Juan that has a Police presence where families walk along the Old Wall in the evening. Would not stay in this property again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nancy S

Reviewed 28 January 2014

My daughter and I stayed here for three nights, and consider it to be of great value for San Juan. It was very clean, and the staff were very courteous and helpful. The location is great, just steps from Ashford Ave with lots of restaurants and activity. It is for people who want to stay in a small local place instead of an impersonal large hotel. It is also very close to the beach, with beach towels supplied. We would happily stay here again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TorontoCedar
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed here at the end of our week long trip traveling the island, and were overall very pleased with our stay. It's a very affordable B&B located in the middle of Condado right by the Marriott and is about a third of the price of the Marriott. It is a very simple B&B, but it worked for us. You're able to walk to tons of restaurants, coffee shops, and bars. There are also multiple casinos within walking distance, and most importantly Ocean Park Beach is a minutes walk away. If you're looking for luxury this is not a spot for you, but it is an affordable, safe option in Condado. We would stay again when in the San Juan area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anettle
Reviewed 25 November 2013

It's well located, in the middle of Condado, with a lot of restaurants and coffee shops around. If you want to start your day with a nice walk, you will discover that Ocean Park Beach is at a stone's throw.
It has a courtyard where you can have your coffee, watching the tropical rain around and waiting for the sun to come. Rooms are spacious and cosy.
All the staff was friendly and helpful. They kept me some luggage while visiting the island. The manager, Ed, even help a friend of mine, who was not staying there, to find her lost cell phone. He knows every place around and you will get good suggestions to hang out. At last but not least, Belle, a wise dog, will share your coffee time if you are lucky. So, what else can I say? A place to come back and enjoy.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Inuit_Leilani
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Not impressed! In 2 nights & 2 days and 5 possible showers I had NO HOT WATER. The receptionist said that when it rained the hot water didn't work.....Really? The 2nd day it was a hot sunny day and there still wasn't any hot water that night. Sunday morning also no hot water, she said there were water problems in Coldado but no other business seemed to have any. The worst thing was my dirty bathroom basin. Short shaving hairs and also 2 long black hairs, the floor in the bathroom had hairs in the corners. The bathroom obviously had NOT been cleaned!

The TV didn't work for the first day either. The room felt like a prison cell as the window didn't open nor did the louvers. The manager said that the windows did not open in that room..........as if that was normal!! I just wanted some fresh air and light! So on a sunny morning I was in the dark with the lights on.
The manager, who was friendly at first, had also lost the main safe key and although they advertise a safe there was no where to put my valuables.
There was a "bra" from a prior guest in the top drawer, showing that the housemaids don't clean or check them. They also advertise "the best zone-line super quiet air-conditioners" but mine was one of those old box types.

Whats worse is that its also "advertised and named" as a "B&B" but the breakfast was paper cups for their coffee and white sliced bread. (some pastries and cereal) NO fruit, NO eggs, NO typical B&B type of breakfast which are always fabulous........I have had amazing breakfasts given for free by hotels that don't even advertise a breakfast......this was shocking for a B&B!! I asked for some fruit for my second morning but they wouldn't oblige. The manager said I can go buy fruit at the market not far away!!
I will say the bed was comfy & clean and the receptionist was friendly and did her best. .............I wouldn't stay there again nor ever recommend it.............esp considering I paid $107.50 night plus taxes and could have stayed at a well known resort hotel for only a bit more...........very VERY disappointing.
The manager was at the desk when I arrived back to pick up my luggage but disappeared when he saw me at the gate to enter; no apology or offer for a part refund.........Esp as there was NO hot water for my whole visit...........totally unacceptable in this day and age!!!

Room Tip: Didn't see other rooms but check if their hot water in rooms has been rectified. The receptioni...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank IslandloverMelbourne
Reviewed 28 September 2013

It was a nice time we spent here during our honey-moon trip in Puerto Rico. We had a really nice room with an very good air-conditioning with a nice living-atmosphere. There was a good continental breakfast, we could leave our stuff while a trip on the island and we felt like home.
Thanks a lot

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dominik H
Reviewed 1 September 2013

A small bed & breakfast minutes away from the beach. I found it to be a bit inconvenient because it was hard to find and when I finally got to the location, I had to get my room key from a different hotel; the bed & breakfast is not staffed 24hrs. During my stay it was rainy, so with rain comes mosquitos; for those traveling to PR, you might want to keep a small can of bug spray handy. In the morning, they serve a small continental breakfast to get your day started. Around the b&b there are many eateries to choose from; a good one at the corner is a burger restaurant called "Buns", they have good burgers and great hotdogs; a family friendly establishment. The beach is at least a five minute walk from the b&b; it is clean and not crowded.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo