“Will Never Stay Here Again”

San Juan Beach Hotel
Ranked #45 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Don't get fooled by the Lobby area appearance which is the only nice part of the story. Broken doors, falling curtains, no towels, dirty bathroom floor, toilet paper holder missing, old and broken room furniture and blood stains in the white comforter were some of the welcoming surprises I found as a welcome gift this last weekend when I stayed at the San Juan Beach Hotel to celebrate my birthday. Cannot believe this hotel is located in the very heart of Condado and it's not well taken care of. As a local customer I feel ashamed because I know that the international guests that choose this place to stay when visiting Puerto Rico are going to have a terrible experience. Front desk people are never available to answer the phone. Had to change our keys twice because they were not well programmed. Microwave in the 7th floor is not working. Only 7 channels available (local ones included in this list) and in some of them the image looked blurred. Jacuzzi water was cold as ice. My husband went to the front desk to get some headache pills and the vallet parking guy was the one who had to tell him they didn't had any pills because nobody was available at the front desk at 2 am. Be sure not to leave any personal stuff by mistake when you leave because you will never get it back. I forgot my necklace and they are saying now that the maids didn't find anything when they did the cleaning. Charging $99 per night + tax is a real felony. Will NEVER EVER stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Marilu R

Reviewed 4 April 2014

This is a small boutique hotel. It is an old property that should NEVER be rated as a four star one (which it was at time of booking)! This was our first trip to Puerto Rico and because our dates were during Spring Break for many, I consciously chose to go the smaller hotel route. The photos on here are, practically speaking, false! I was really shocked at the lack of quality, lack of customers service and accountability and frankly cannot recommend this property to anyone. The view out the room patio door was spectacular and the food in the restaurant (which was very surprising and excellent) are the only two things that I can say of a positive nature about this hotel and staff. The balcony was one foot deep ... You couldn't sit or turn around. The room was literally the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in and the bathroom was so small I could touch all walls! The lighting is so poor, you have to open the drapes to see with natural light to attempt to apply makeup or do hair. No ventilation. Hotel staff, somewhat, and the tour company, particularly, was very condescending ... And spoke to my daughter in a manner in man should ever speak to a woman! And when I asked to speak to the GM re my concerns, his main response was "I've only been here 4 months!" Don't bother with booking tours through the hotel because they don't show up! If they do show up, they are over 2 hours late on one day, on the scheduled rebooking the following day, they were over 50 minutes late. The bioluminescent tour was worth the trip but don't be fooled ... It is a trip, especially when they are also 45 minutes departing for that. I could not, and do not, recommend this hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: Do not stay here! You will be very disappointed!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LCAngle
Reviewed 3 April 2014

While the lobby of the hotel appears okay, the okay upkeep and maintenance of the hotel is far from adequate. 2 of our 40day night we were kept awake by loud thumping party music and when we called down to the front desk, they apologized for a party they were having that they said would wend at 12 midnight , but went on well after 1 am both nights...We were on the 4th floor and our room felt right below the party room.
The towels were old and dingy for use. There was no coffee pot with coffee.
The maid service was horrible and did not get a tip. Our towels were changed, but the face-basin and bath tub, not bathroom floor with hair was swept or mopped. Only one of 2 elevators worked, and it was slow and literally you had to wait over 5 minutes for it to arrive.
We will never stay there again.

Room Tip: If you ever have to stay there, make sure and request a room above and away from the dance hall that...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank 521islander
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I read all the reviews (after booking a hotel and air package, my mistake), and thought "how bad can it really be?" Well the answer to that is WORSE! I thought "oh it's just people who are used to the "American standard" or it's always the people who complain that write reviews. I can put up with a lot, but this place was just gross! I've stayed at hundreds of hotels all over the world with varying standards and this place is probably the worst, if not it's at the very bottom. The positives of this hotel and there are some are; the location (perfect), the shower, and the tv, and of course the price (but not value for price). And to name a few of the negatives; the vomit stained bed-skirt, the indeterminable "wet spot" on the carpet (that didn't dry all week), and smell of urine once the AC was turned down. I don't think, no I'm sure that housekeeping only added towels to the bathroom as part of the "cleaning", as there was always hair and toothpaste still in the sink after "cleaning". The pool area was okay, they could have used a broom to sweep up after the late night parties, and the lobby was okay too. The elevators alternated working, and I was very surprised not to get stuck in one. One more tip - don't get the US$ 7 (plus tax) breakfast, the coffee was watered down sludge, and just not worth it. What this place needs is proper management, and a staff that actually do the job their hired to do. Telling also was at check-out that the desk clerk did not ask how my stay was....

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Danilito5
Reviewed 23 March 2014

This hotel is a work in progress but with excellent service it is well worth a visit. Our room had yet to be renovated but what had been done was beautiful. It couldn't have had a better location either as it is right on the beach. However, the beach needs to be cleaned up a bit. There is a lot of trash and it would be time well spent to have someone comb the beach every morning.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 19 March 2014

The hallways and rooms smelled damp. Every time I'd walk into our room and sat on the bed it felt wet. Carpet was stained and gross. Window curtains were broken ! And to make matters worse as I went to pick up something off the bathroom floor I found BLOOD STAINS !!!!!!! I was completely disgusted and couldn't believe I had to stay there with my five month old ! I will NEVER stay there again !

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank JFALOF
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Hotel lobby looks very nice, the elevators at least work but need maintenance. Room was very big and spacy. Window looking the main street and lagoon but was very dirty. Rug and walls need to be updated but room was clean, bathroom was comfortable and had all basic amenities. Valet parking was $19 with in/out privileges but be warned: the car is parked underneath the onsite restaurant and the car will have seafood smell for a few days. Valet guys made my girl (5yrs) feel very special and I really appreciated that.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family