“It's Ok”

San Juan Beach Hotel
Ranked #45 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 20 July 2009

The hotel is Ok. It's not the Waldorf Astoria but is well located, the rooms are spacious and clean and the personnel is nice. They always try to help the guests. It is correct that the lobby and the mezzanine are under repairs but the guests don't sleep here. The breakfast is good with a variety of things. The WiFi is good also, the speed is fast. The pool is clean and have a good location, in the front of the ocean. The restaurants, bars and stores of the Condado are at walking distance of the hotel. For the price of the rooms, the hotel is a good choice. Once the repairs was finished, the hotel will be a great choice to stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank pbasoc

Reviewed 16 July 2009

Me and my family booked a room here after a cruise. When we arrived they could not find our reservations immediately. Eventually they found it and we had to wait until check in time to actually check in so we stayed around the lobby. The lobby is beautiful it actually leads you to think the whole hotel is beautiful but its misleading. Although it was very nice of the staff to allow us to leave our belongings in the lobby and they were nice people but the hotel is kind of trashy. First off the elevators were taking forever to work. The rooms are big and the rooms with ocean view are beautiful but they can do better. we needed extra towels but when my husband went downstairs to ask for them they had us wait for towels. The man at the desk said that there were not any extra towels available. I sent my husband back down to demand we get some towels and the staff said we had to wait until housekeeping came because they knew where to get them at. So we ended up waiting a good 45 minutes to get some extra towels which was insane. They were under constructing but there wasn't any dust and crap around. I like the lil bar they have there. there was only one computer in the lobby so if someone was on you had to wait around until it was available. They could've had another one considering they advertise internet. And we had to walk about a mile to get to a darn beach we could swim at. due to the rocks behind the hotel its not a swimming location. Theres too many nicer hotels around San Juan I would not recommend this hotel. Even for a few extra dollars to stay somewhere else would probably just be worth it.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2009

this was my first and will be my last visit to Puerto Rico!!!!...the hotel was unkept overall. the initial room we had was not "secure" so we switched, the second was not any better..the shower curtain in the bathroom had mildew and mold (which we requested to be replaced) the hotel floor had a musty smell...my girlfriends clothes remained "wet" and clammy from the humidity in the room...I slept on top of the sheets because i was scared i might get bed bug!! The hotel towels were not white at all....I was so relieved to go back home just to get a good night rest and take a nice shower!!!
they should have shut down the hotel until it is fully renovated, but i'm not sure they meant the rooms were part of the deal....Unfortunately i will not return due to this experience..I would be ashamed to recommend this place to anyone

McKinney, Texas

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank blkprincess
Reviewed 26 May 2009

The goverment must send the authorities to inspect this hotel and close it until it get remodeled. It is not safe to be there, everything they advertised on their web page is a lie. It is the worst hotel I have every seen on my life. We just walked away after being there more than two hours trying to get back our money. Puerto Rico is a beautifull place and the people is really kind. This hotel is a very bad advertising for the beautifull Island, please do not stay in this hotel

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VenezuelaMarta
Reviewed 11 May 2009

I never take time to write reviews but I am so against this Hotel that I want to take time out of my schedule to write my first!!!

We choose this hotel because it was in the Condado area, in San Juan. We arrive at around 8:30 PM and we noticed the hotel is still being remodeled and accepting guest with work still on. I went in with my son and was welcome by the lady at the counter. Next to her was a young gentleman on the phone in the middle of a personal call trying to find a place to watch Pacquiao and Hatton fight. Few days after my stay I found out that the young guy was one of the managers; he looks like straight from High School. That may explain why the hotel runs like crap. The lobby was surrounded by mirrors, I could see throw the mirror that the lady at the front counter was writing an email. After 12 minutes of waiting I had to ask "are you going to be long because I can find another hotel". She apologized and after another 2-3 min proceeded to check us in. During the check-in I told the employee I will be living at 400 AM. Because I was not going out that night and I was living early in the morning the gentleman who just finish his personal phone conversation offer me a COMPLIMENTARY valet parking. After few minutes we walk in to our room, the room was anything but first class and notice a not so good smell, no phone in the room, no radio, the towels looked used for about 5-10 years.... It is around 930 PM, I have 2 kids and a wife tired, trying to take a shower and go to sleep, I have no other option but to stay and try to sleep at least 4-5 hrs. The bathroom was not clean. The towels once again look used. “One time the towels were white that day was browner than white we end up using our own”. Around 4:00 AM we went down to get our car and at the front counter I notice someone different (Shift Change). This new person tries to charge me for the COMPLIMENTARY valet offer to me. After 20 min of phone calls I was told no problem Sr. you don’t have to pay for the parking. Few days later after looking my bank account I noticed a charge for $21.40 for the valet parking. I have call every person in the hotel. I was told by the front desk the manager is with another client can I get your name and phone number and he will contact you once he is free. Never receive the call and had to call back 2 days later. Speaking with the manager I found out he was never with a client. The person who answer the phone was the same person who check me in. After an agreement with the manager I sent all information requested and I still waiting for my money to be return. I will let my bank fight to get our money back......

I took time to write here because I am so disappoint with this hotel. Also I want you visitors to understand the San Juan Beach Hotel is not Puerto Rico. I am 100% Puertorrican and I love my Island. Puerto Rico is an Honest and Beautiful place just be award of people like those operating the SJ Beach Hotel. Spend the extra money to feel comfortable. This place needs to be SHUT DOWN!!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Siquito1
Reviewed 4 May 2009

First and foremost, I never take time to write reviews but I am so against this Nasty Hotel that I want to take time out of my schedule to write it!!!

We got married in February and honeymooned in PR. We made reservations here because it was in the Condado District, and that is where alot of cool spots are in San Juan. Well, needless to say, we arrive at around midnight and when we walk in we noticed this horrible smell and NO ONE is at the front desk...NO ONE....I couldn't believe it....so my husband asked where the person was and the so called bell man told us "oh he went to buy something to drink across the street"...we looked at each other in shock....the man returns to the desk and he was like "Welcome to San Juan Beach Hotel" and I wanted to tell him "Welcome back to your job"....anyway, my husband asked him how were the rooms and he kept ignoring our question and proceeded to check us in....after checking us in...we noticed this HORRIBLE SMELL was all over the hotel....I told my husband let's just check it out before we make assumptions....Well we went into the elevator that is the smallest elevator I have ever been in...and I notice the Elevator has not been inspected in June 2008...I was like "OH NO we need to leave"....so we go into the room and we walked into the most GROSS ROOM I have ever seen, it smelled and the comforter was outdated...the bed didn't have a head board, no phone in the room, the AC was leaking this nasty water into the carpet. the towels looked used for about 10 years....it was digusting....WE LEFT!!! We went to the lobby and the man had the nerve to say "Oh what didn't you like"....We were like "WHAT"....I told him in Spanish...because I am Puerto Rican....I told him I don't even think ROACHES LIVE IN YOUR HOTEL....this is DISGUSTING...we demanded our money back he refunded us and then tried to penalize us for a night but we fought and our bank went after them and we got our money back IMMEDIATELY.......

Moral of the story...don't be fooled by the "Great Deal of the price"....spend the extra money to feel comfortable....This place needs to be SHUT DOWN ASAP!!! It shouldn't be open at all..they are in so many violations I don't know how they are still open!!! Its nasty, disgusting, and the people that are there match the hotel.... The only REGRET I have is not taking PICTURES to show how disgusting it was!!!

We ended up staying at the Embassy Suites in Isla Verde which was HEAVEN compared to this awful place....

STAY AWAY FROM SAN JUAN BEACH HOTEL.....

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vasti11
Reviewed 21 April 2009

The hotel is still being remodeled and accepting guest with work still in progress. The room was anything but first class as stated on their website. there was no telephone, no radio/CD player and no bath soap available. I had to provide my own. I wanted to print my airline boarding pass and was told by the front desk I had to go to the next hotel, the Condado Plaza to do that. there's no restaurat or bar in the hotel. i also was ask for an additional $75.00 deposit for "extras" that would be credited back to me on the end of my stay. When checking out I couldn't get a copy of my bill as their printer wasn't working. The pool was not open. This was not a place to stay in beautiful San Juan!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business