San Juan Beach Hotel
Travelocity
US$259
US$252
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 July 2010

This hotel was very uncomfortable, I saw ROACHES all over the place. They were in the restroom, inside the alarm clock, on the ice machine, and by the food. If you have a car, you can only valet park. The staff is nice, but the conditions of the hotel was not good at all.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 June 2010

Like some travelers on this site, I was nervous after a friend booked us in the San Juan beach hotel for a spring break trip, but I shouldn't have worried. If you're looking for a cheap place to sleep and shower, this is a good find. If you're looking to spend long hours in the hotel itself, this place isn't for you. It's that simple.

Pros::
- The rooms were adequate to our needs. There was A/C, TV, shower, good view of the bay. Yes, they are damp - but it is the Caribbean, not Arizona. It's not moldy or dirty - just damp. The only weird thing about the rooms was that our friend booked four of us in two adjacent rooms - their room had an electronic door swipe and our's had a regular lock-and-key. Apparently, they're changing them over one by one - we didn't have a problem with safety or belongings when we were there.
- Valet parking.
- Great pool area, you can watch the waves from your deck chair. Every night we hung out by the pool until really late and no one bothered us.
- Walking distance of great restaurants - we went to a great diner down the street, Chinese restaurant, and a Puerto Rican beachfront restaurant all without having to get our car.

Cons:
- There's no real "beachfront" there - just a sliver of beach, really - but a 5-10 minute walk towards the bridge and you'll find the Marriott beach.
- The bar wasn't finished when we were there. It looked really cool, though - bright lights and white floors, very nightclub-y. The stairs had an "out of order" sign, which we thought was hilarious.
- The area of the city is under construction - this isn't exactly a con because it doesn't look shady or unsafe, but it can be a surprise if you're looking for waving palms and pristine-looking resorts.

In short, know what you want - if you've come to Puerto Rico looking for an all-inclusive place to pamper you silly, this ain't it. But if you're with friends or explore the island and the different beaches and need a comfortable place to return to at night, stay at the SJ Beach Resort.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank rosiegalpal
Reviewed 26 June 2010

Here we go. Read a ton of reviews prior to going and have to say was really scared. We were in Puerto Rico for a wedding and had the first four days at El Conquistador Resort, so it was sort of like going from heaven to hell. Won San Juan beach hotel for 92.00 for all four nites on Skybid. Hotel pictures on their web site are somewhat deceiving. We were in room 1002, the floor did not smell like mold - as other people have mentioned. The room was decent, carpet a little dirty, bed clean and comfortable with a nice new white down comforter. Bathroom had no mold or stains in tub, it was however just recently re-caulked, not so much a great job either. The elevator - ONLY one works, made me wish i was catholic so I could do the sign of the cross. It was frightening to say the least. Zero to 10 floors in record time, going up not so bad, coming down - made you clench. The pool area was okay, pool looked fine, just the whole place looked like it needed someone to sweep and windex and just clean up a bit to make it look so much better. A bit dated. The LOCATION however rocks. About 2 miles from Old San Juan, take bus 21 or 53 for 75cents - bus stop right outside hotel and to right about 50 yards. Beach area to the right of hotel - right past bus stop, but their is a better one to the left about 1 block up. Ajili Moliji restuarant across street, good but not great for the money, we ate in Old San Juan - Mojitos and Cafe Puerto Rico for lunch and dinner, OMG, not a big pina colada chick but they rocked. We drank so many everyday. Normally a beer girl. Mofongo's - gotta get one - were great a both places. Overall if you are going to Puerto Rico and want to go on a budget the hotel will do, it is what it is. Not sure how much it is a nite - as I did the skybid thing, but I guess if it is about 60 bucks compared to 220 a nite, u can do it. No honeymoon or special vacation, basic hotel. Staff was really nice, maid service was good. I noticed in puerto rico that it may be a an electricians dream, as they have wires, sticking out of everywhere, all places, trees - yeah trees, the side walk, the hotel had a couple on the 8th floor and I noticed some out by the pool. Oh yeah ice only on the eighth floor, which was cool as really the elevator scared me so bad that I the break in the trip was needed. Talked to some young kid across the hall, he said his friend's dad and 2 other investors just bought the hotel and are trying to fix it up. Not sure that that means and really it definitely needs someone to pay attention to detail and it would present so much better. 1 block down on the right is the Conrad Hotel, SWEET, ate there, gambled there, BEAUTIFUL. If you are a man reading this, suck it up and pay whatever the difference is and take your girl there gorgeous. Actually this is a good hotel for a a couple of guys as the whole review can be summed up in that it is the difference between a teenage boys room and a teenage girls room.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2010

Stayed on the 10th floor for one nite prior to a cruise. Room was not that bad for a overnight stay...........exposed wires and holes in the wall though were questionable. Hotel appeared to have lost our reservation and we had to wait in the lobby for over an hour while the two guys stared at the computer. Lobby area is very nice, however, the hotel interior appears very old. We were lucky to get switched to the 10th floor since the place was overbooked, from reading I understand this is the floor which has been most remodeled. Great location and stuff to do around the hotel. I would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2010

I had purchased 2 nights at this hotel on an internet site... But, when we got to the hotel, I had to call the site and cancel the reservation and fight for my money back beacuse this hotel was absolute HELL! I have never seen anything like this. The photos are VERY deceiving... Beware! DO NOT STAY HERE! I am normally very opne to everything and have stayed in very cheap hotels before... this was beyond anything I can possibly describe!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple