“Things that can be controlled”

Acacia Boutique Hotel
Ranked #30 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Baltimore, Maryland
“Things that can be controlled”
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

know the hospitality business is one of the hardest industries out there; you will never be able to satisfy everybody. The fact of the matter is control the controllable. We recently stayed at the Acacia hotel, the location is great the staff is kind and informative. The room was spacious but dirty. The head board of the bed was covered in dust. The bathroom smelled of urine all of the fixtures were covered in moldy crust. Enough with the cleanliness of the room lets talk amenities. Generally speaking coffee is offered in one way or another in all hotels with some sort of convenience , this hotel does not. No coffee in the room nor lobby or could you have it delivered.(thank god for Starbucks a few blocks away) In order to get a cup of joe you have to walk downstairs to the restaurant, wait for the only server on duty then pay $7.50 for two cups of black coffee smaller than a Dixie cup. The towels in the room are worn out to be kind. The beach towels were in the same horrible condition if they even had any available to check out. Now the hot tub more or less was a nice size but water was often lukewarm. Normally when I get into a public hot tub the first thing I smell is chlorine, not in this case. As a result they created a perfect Bactria breeding ground. I contracted cellulitis a Bacteria under the skin. My doctor told me that the hot tub was most likely the place where I contracted this. By our last day I couldn't barley walk and still can't without crutches. I had a tiny bug bite that I scratched and never did I think this could happen to me. How hard is it to drop chlorine in a public hot tub? Also we had to ask for maid service by day three and they looked at us like we had three heads. im shocked we didnt get charged extra. i must say after that the room did smell a little cleaner then the day we checked in which worried me even more. Although the location is great there is no fix for a afternoon snack unless you venture out. The hotel has a sister hotel adjacent to them where they advertise (a menu in the room) an outdoor grill and bar. Turns out it doesn't open till 5:00 but when I went over at 5:15 for a quick bite they turned me away and said the bar and grill would be open at 6:00. So I returned at 6:15 and the bartender had just gotten in and he said the grill wouldn't be open for another 45min. Needles to say I wasn't going back. Pretty much everything I have mentioned they have control over and have chosen to overlook them. The hotel itself offers breakfast and a wayyyy over priced dinner menu but considering how filthy everything else was we weren't taking our chances. Not to mention there are a ton of amazing places to eat and drink within walking distance at affordable prices. We will be back to Condado but never again to this hotel. We now know its truly worth spending a couple extra hundred bucks to stay at the Hilton or Marriott.

• Stayed February 2014
4 Thank Melmel7733

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Finnish first
St. Thomas
Reviewed 9 February 2014

My husband and I agree that this lovely hotel exceeded our expectations. The decor and detail was absolutely beautiful. The room was clean, decorated with artistic taste, the beds (two king beds in our room) were very comfortable and every detail was covered.

The lobby was also very uniquely decorated with an incredible artistic touch. We truly loved the spa too. It is definitely the largest and most beautiful jacuzzis we have been in and to top it off, there is the view of the ocean.

We loved our stay at Acacia. It was a short distance from Old San Juan which we enjoyed very much too.
The staff was friendly and helpful, eager to assist.

Room Tip: We loved our room, 207 right outside of the jacuzzi with an ocean view and two king beds.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Judith L
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We booked two rooms for 1 pre-cruise stay. The Deluxe room (our room) had yellow stained sheets, torn curtains, and cracked/stained windows. The room needed a through cleaning.
The second room (regular) actually consisted of two rooms but the 2nd room had no visible window, but visible cockroach. Closet, perhaps.
Front desk Service was spotty. I asked for a fork, and I was told the the restaurant was closed, and they didn't have the key. Really?
The worst was breakfast. The food came out cold, at different times for all people sitting at the table. It was mostly really badly heated frozen food. What got to me was the egg breakfast sandwich which came on a untoasted stale hamburger bun.

My review? Stay away

Room Tip: stay at a different hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank jessica b
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 23 January 2014

My boyfriend and I enjoyed our first visit to San Juan and couldn't have asked for better location regarding an awesome Beach just behind the hotel and just blocks away from non stop activities and casinos! Love love loved our vacation. ... We will definitely return!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank crystaljom
Wynnewood, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Beautiful location but rooms are small. Some staff were extremely friendly but others not helpful. Our AC was too loud and difficult to adjust and our TV didn't work. Staff said they would come help but never showed up.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Philly_traveler50
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stayed just for one night before a cruise. The hotel was in a bit rougher shape then I expected from all the good reviews. Service was fantastic, the location was excellent right near the beach and the hot tub was nice. Breakfast at Niche was very good and reasonably priced. This is definitely not a luxury place. We did book the least expensive room and didn't expect much. The room was very small, the linens did not look very clean, but the bed overall was comfortable.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed here for one night following a cruise and it was very nice. The hotel is definitely a small boutique operation so you will not get the amenities of a larger hotel. We arrived before check-in so the room was not ready - the only place to keep your luggage is sitting in the lobby. The hotel is very safe and the front door locks so this wasn't a major concern but it felt somewhat inconvenient. There is a small restaurant and hot tub but again, not the amenities of a large hotel. That said, our room was lovely and spacious and the shower and bathroom were great.

As far as the location, Condado is beautiful and this hotel is very close to the beach and within walking distance to restaurants and shops. To get to Old San Juan (for more traditional sightseeing) from here, it costs about $16-$18. The front desk staff were always helpful and happy to call taxis as needed.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple