“Total nightmare”

Ranked #30 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Aiea, Hawaii
“Total nightmare”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

So this was my last stop from traveling the entire island and visiting 4 other hotels in PR. This was my least favorite. Very small room ,
with hardly any space to put my luggage. Not even an extra chair, just the bed. Which, by the way, was two very old twin mattresses stuck together and the springs popped with your every move. I'm only 5'7 and my feet were all the way at the edge, so I would hate to see taller people try to sleep on that thing. The tv was smaller than my laptop screen (see pic). Who's going to watch that thing?!

The room was NOT clean either- there were hairs all over the bed (see pic). Curtains and bed linens had stains all over (see pic). Bathroom is tiny and you barely have room to step out the shower without stepping in the toilet. I was so aggravated in there. Oh and the shower curtain was disgustingly filthy (see pic), felt like I needed a shower after my shower. They don't give you much towels compared to other hotels standard amounts & sizes. They will provide u with 2 very small and stained "beach towels" if you ask the front desk, which cost $30 each to replace if you lose them.... Seriously.

Also you can hear everything and everyone while in the room, as if you're in a house. So you have no privacy plus can't sleep with all the noise! Then the AC makes the room freezing no matter what you do. So you can either turn it off and be very hot; or leave it on and be very cold- your choice.

Oh and the kicker- wifi doesn't work!!! That was one of the main reasons I chose this place. I mean I could only get cell service in ONE spot in the whole room. So I definitely needed the wifi and plus had work to do. The gentleman at the front desk did not seem surprised and although he tried to restart the router, he said only some spots of the hotel get signal.... What?! Such a joke!!!!

The ONLY good things I can say about the place was the very helpful and nice staff, and the location. Yeah, it's nice being close to the beach (which is not one of PRs best beaches anyway) but there was absolutely no parking. I was advised to park illegally since I "probably" wouldn't get a ticket. Nice. Very overpriced and then they have the nerve to try to charge for extra people and tell you that you can't have guests past 9pm. What is this, jail?!

I have been to this island many times and traveled all over the world, stayed at many hotels, even these boutique types. So I wasn't expecting to be wowed but I was definitely expecting something decent and this is one of the worst I've ever had. I was beyond disappointed. Never again. I wanted to like it a lot. But a fancy lobby doesn't make up for all this awful stuff!!! Sorry! Overall just miserable. I kept feeling like I was being pranked. A total nightmare, no exaggeration.

3 Thank Amanda K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Finnish first
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We had a small room on second floor without elevator. Room was cramped as was the bathroom. At around 2:00 am people we screaming in the street and at 4;45 am the garbage truck arrived. We got no sleep.

Room Tip: Avoid spend the money and go to La Concha
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Simple rooms, very friendly staff, great location near both the airport and beach (be mindful in the neighborhood at night though!). It took a while to cool the room sufficiently for sleep, but the internet was decent.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

We were looking for a beachfront hotel for a Friday night, as our cruise sailed out of San Juan Saturday afternoon. The Accacia Boutique is right off the beach, and the price point was perfect - about $140 USD including taxes added at the hotel ($125+tx). Most other hotels for our purposes were much more.

While the hotel is not ideal for an extended stay, it is a good choice for a one night on the beach pre-cruise stay.

I read with interest the other review about the room with the curtains with the holes in it and otherwise being worn out a bit - and sure enough, having landed in San Juan at midnight, this was the room we got (up one flight, turn right, at the end on the left). For the 7 hours sleep we wanted it was more than adequate. The room needed an update but for our one night we slept well.

The hotel has an aggressive you-must-be-out-by-11am-or-we-charge-you-another-full-day, but we were told that when we checked in. At that time we were also told that they offered complimentary: baggage check. (at the front desk), beach towels and access to a changing / shower room after you check out. So that's what we did: we hit the gorgeous beach that morning after "checking out", leaving our bags with the hotel desk and grabbed a beach towel. We showered when we got back. Is that ideal vs extended check out to noon or so? Not really, and it was a bit if a nuisance but the price point and beach location made it tolerable.

Do not eat at the restaurant at the hotel, the food is lousy. One block up from the hotel on the right side corner across the sitter is an excellent breakfast place with fresh, delicious and fairly priced food. It has a booster juice sign outside but it is a lovely, eclecticly decorated comfy resto.

I would recommend this hotel for one night if you want a beach day before your cruise, at a reasonable price but with quirks. If you want an extended stay, I would not recommend it. If you are looking for a night's sleep in a clean hotel, no beach or view but near the cruise port then we were told by another cruiser that the Quality Inn near the port was under $100 a night but was no frills, no beach, no view.

4 Thank TravellingTFP
Livonia, Michigan
Reviewed 27 February 2014

10 of us flew into Puerto Rico Saturday February 15th to cruise the next day. We all met up at the Acacia hotel and had beautiful rooms each with a balcony. Checking in with Fernando was so easy...each couple coming in at different times. He also gave us ideas where to eat and how to get there and we were able to walk to dinner as well as breakfast the next morning. Of course the hotel has food too! We just wanted to go out and about. The hotel doesn't have a pool but it has the largest hot tub we had seen and after dinner Fernando got us all towels and then we all enjoyed great conversation and laughs. This hotel was just the start of a fabulous vacation with a group of friends. We all agreed we could come back and stay longer.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the ocean! We stayed 3rd floor....but there is no elevator!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Greenville, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My wife(29) and I(30) stayed here from Feb 12th to Feb 15th. We're not very picky with our accomodations, but thought the room & accomodations were more than adequate given the reasonable price. The location of the hotel was great too: 1 block from the beach, 1.5 blocks to a small grocery store/mini mart, 1 block to gas stations, 1-1.5 blocks to several very good restaurants serving local food. Parking is not available on the hotel grounds, but we never had too much of an issue finding a spot at 6pm within a block or 2 on Taft Street. Hotel staff was very helpful in giving suggestions for restaurants within walking distance. The jacuzzi pool was a added bonus too! We usually relaxed with a glass of wine in the pool after dinner everynight. The pool temperature was nice and hot too!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

know the hospitality business is one of the hardest industries out there; you will never be able to satisfy everybody. The fact of the matter is control the controllable. We recently stayed at the Acacia hotel, the location is great the staff is kind and informative. The room was spacious but dirty. The head board of the bed was covered in dust. The bathroom smelled of urine all of the fixtures were covered in moldy crust. Enough with the cleanliness of the room lets talk amenities. Generally speaking coffee is offered in one way or another in all hotels with some sort of convenience , this hotel does not. No coffee in the room nor lobby or could you have it delivered.(thank god for Starbucks a few blocks away) In order to get a cup of joe you have to walk downstairs to the restaurant, wait for the only server on duty then pay $7.50 for two cups of black coffee smaller than a Dixie cup. The towels in the room are worn out to be kind. The beach towels were in the same horrible condition if they even had any available to check out. Now the hot tub more or less was a nice size but water was often lukewarm. Normally when I get into a public hot tub the first thing I smell is chlorine, not in this case. As a result they created a perfect Bactria breeding ground. I contracted cellulitis a Bacteria under the skin. My doctor told me that the hot tub was most likely the place where I contracted this. By our last day I couldn't barley walk and still can't without crutches. I had a tiny bug bite that I scratched and never did I think this could happen to me. How hard is it to drop chlorine in a public hot tub? Also we had to ask for maid service by day three and they looked at us like we had three heads. im shocked we didnt get charged extra. i must say after that the room did smell a little cleaner then the day we checked in which worried me even more. Although the location is great there is no fix for a afternoon snack unless you venture out. The hotel has a sister hotel adjacent to them where they advertise (a menu in the room) an outdoor grill and bar. Turns out it doesn't open till 5:00 but when I went over at 5:15 for a quick bite they turned me away and said the bar and grill would be open at 6:00. So I returned at 6:15 and the bartender had just gotten in and he said the grill wouldn't be open for another 45min. Needles to say I wasn't going back. Pretty much everything I have mentioned they have control over and have chosen to overlook them. The hotel itself offers breakfast and a wayyyy over priced dinner menu but considering how filthy everything else was we weren't taking our chances. Not to mention there are a ton of amazing places to eat and drink within walking distance at affordable prices. We will be back to Condado but never again to this hotel. We now know its truly worth spending a couple extra hundred bucks to stay at the Hilton or Marriott.

4 Thank Melmel7733