“Exceptional.”

Ranked #31 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Sydney, Australia
“Exceptional.”
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

A great little boutique hotel that is 1 min from the beach and is perfect for a quiet vacation in Puerto Rico. The staff are very friendly, extremely helpful and speak great English.

The rooms are clean, with overhead fans and air conditioning and we had a massive wraparound balcony that faced the beach. There's a small restaurant downstairs where the food is sublime, I suspect their chef is French - the menu has a great selection and the saffron seafood cioppino is one of the best I've ever tasted.

There are not a lot of restaurants or cafes nearby, probably a 10 minute walk away.

My only gripe with this hotel is that the spa jets were not working whilst we were there, though the spa is nice and big and is lovely to sit in anyway.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mimmer83

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Finnish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed at the Acacia for my last night in Puerto Rico. The giant hot tub is AMAZING, really, amazing. And guests get pool access at their sister hotel just a few steps away. I thought my room was cute! It had a nice balcony with some chairs on it that overlooked the hot tub. There is a decent, if sparse, sun deck on the roof if you want to get away from the crowds on the beach. The hotel is a two minute walk to a busy, but surprisingly clean, beach with sun and shade. It's also only a ten or fifteen minute walk to all of the restaurants/cafes/shops on Avenida Ashford. I didn't have a car for the night and it was perfectly fine. Actually, one could probably stay two or three nights without a car and not have any problems (and probably have less hassle). The staff was friendly and our room was clean and comfortable. Overall, I would recommend it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the hot tub. And ask for a room with a balcony. Some do not have them it seems...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

We were a little hesitant about booking this hotel since it is not a big well known hotel. I am very happy we chose it, the rooms are small but clean, comfortable and the hotel is very quaint and it has a colonial feeling to it. Staff was very friendly, the beach is a public beach but very nice and it was well kept. The only problem is that with the hotel being so small, they do not have a parking lot and we struggled at night finding on street parking.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jenny280
New Jersey, USA
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This was my third visit to the Acacia in the past 5 years, and it is better and better. There is now a staffed front desk in the hotel (not so 2 years ago). Our room was lovely, very comfortable, and quite quiet. There is now wifi in the rooms that works well (not so 2 years ago). This is in a great location, 100 feet from a beautiful beach and an easy walk to many restaurants. A very nice property and I will gladly return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank formershrink
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My wife and I typically like the "Boutique" hotels. They can be very quaint and romantic, which usually means..... there are no kids in the hotel! This Hotel fits that description....somewhat. They upgraded our room at no additional charge because we were celebrating our Anniversary! That was an extremely nice gesture. The upgraded room was "the best and largest room in the hotel" (we were told). I would hate to see the other rooms, because the room was not that large. But, that would not be unusual for a "BH". However, there is ZERO view from the "best and largest room in the hotel". One small window.........in the bathroom......next to the sink. There is no small patio with a Bistro table, like some of the other rooms in this hotel. I would not describe the room as romantic. But, that was okay. The King bed was a legitimate King and very comfortable. The shower was a nightmare, because it was impossible to get the temperature to a comfortable setting through a full shower! It was either too hot or too cold, and frequently fluctuated between that variance throughout every shower, our entire stay! It's a "Beach Resort", you need a minimum of 2 showers a day! The TV never worked, but we didn't mind, we were on vacation from all that stuff. Didn't mind the short walk to the beach. They have "donated" beach chairs available that you could borrow for the day, no need to rent any. However, if we didn't have ear plugs, this may have been an even worse stay, because this hotel is NOISY. There is a nice large hot tub available for your enjoyment 24 hours! Obviously, that can go one of two ways, people are not always considerate of other guests. AND the "best and largest room" is on the opposite wall of the hotel laundry room! Housekeeping starts early and someone loves to whistle! We ate at the hotel Res, Niche and it was very enjoyable. Thanks Osvaldo! Majority of the staff were very courteous and helpful when asked. Except for Seifried (?spelling). Who, oddly enough, we were told, IS THE MANGER! I misspelled that on purpose, because anger would be the most appropriate word necessary to describe her demeanor. She has a uniquely demeaning and condescending tone when asked about anything! Our cab driver spoke with her on the phone to get specific directions to the hotel, and even HE commented on how rude and abrupt she was! I thought maybe she just didn't like "Main-landers"! She could really learn something from Christophe, Osvaldo, and Oskar(again ? spelling), who were nothing less than exceptional. Unfortunately, she worked the front desk during the morning and early afternoon, so we had to deal with her just about everyday! It reached a point that my wife and I agreed that if SHE was at the desk, that we would not ask her for ANY assistance. We even refrained from getting any of the complimentary " boutique water" available at the desk! We enjoyed our "maiden" trip to PR and plan to visit again. Hopefully, every March! Sadly, she really left an unpleasant imprint on our entire stay with Acacia. It really is too bad for the hotel that ONE person could have that kind of negative affect on a guest's hotel stay. But it's just not that great of a hotel to overcome such terrible customer service. Her actions had the most negative influence, the other issues were merely compounded by the manager. There are too many other hotel options in Condado, we would not stay at the Acacia again. I upgraded the service to "Poor" because of the other staff, they deserve better. Good luck to you.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OldFudgey
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Stayed here 2 nights pre-cruise and it was perfect for that type of stay. One, easy-walk block to the beach, but close to the Condado without all the noise and bustle. Walk the other direction from the Condado and you're eating/drinking with locals, not tourists. Especially recommended for dining: Basilia's. No pool at this hotel of the 2 sister-hotels, but the huge hot tub makes up for it. See photo. Breakfast at the restaurant was OK+. No elevator, so lower floor recommended if you've got heavy luggage.

Room Tip: Don't bother with a "King with Balcony." Not worth the premium.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Newofoundland, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

I liked the style of this hotel. It is incredibly close to the beach. The front desk is nice and it's well done. For me I wanted to be closer to a different part of the beach. This hotel is off the beaten track and is a little too quiet at night when your walking home. I felt it was too isolated for what I wanted. If you have a car it's great otherwise you may find it a bit remote. Overall I would prefer this to the Radisson that was just up the street which completely lacks any character what so ever. The wifi did not work for me on the 3rd floor, and there is no elevator so the 3rd floor was rough getting our luggage up and down. Overall I wouldn't stay here again- it just wasn't for me.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends