“Beware! They may not honor your reservation and then WILL charge you for it”

Acacia Boutique Hotel
Ranked #32 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Beware! They may not honor your reservation and then WILL charge you for it”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Two months ahead of my trip, I made a reservation for this hotel through Hotels.com. Upon arrival, I was informed that the room I had reserved and had received email confirmations on, was not available. The hotel clerk then offered us a smaller room for the same price that simply did not suit our needs, which forced us to kick off our vacation scrambling to find a place to stay.

Despite the fact that the hotel did not honor our reservation and gave us no prior notice of the issue, they still decided to charge us a "cancellation fee" of two nights. We've asked for a refund of these charges numerous times (in person, over the phone, and by email) and still no resolution after more than one month. The hotel, their accounting office--Auberge Haven, and Hotels.com have proven completely unhelpful in getting this matter resolved.

Just spare yourself the aggravation and stay elsewhere. There are much better options very nearby.

Room Tip: They may not honor your room reservation and then WILL charge you for it anyway.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank C V
Mayra I, General Manager at Acacia Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Mrs. C V

Thanks for taking of your time to write about your recent experience at Acacia Boutique Hotel.

We will like to address some of the points you raised in your review. We did have a room available for you. Actually, we had 2 rooms available for you to choose from. The first one was a Deluxe Room with Ocean View and the second one was a Standard Deluxe with 2 beds and Ocean View. Your original reservation was a double double which is a room in the first floor with 2 beds. Unfortunately we did not have available the room you booked for and that’s why we decided to upgrade you, free of charge, into our Deluxe Rooms on the third floor. The rooms we had available for you were not small like you point out; these are the biggest and more spacious rooms that we have in our hotel. We guarantee that if you would have taking your time and looked up the 2 Deluxe Rooms that we had available this Review about Acacia Boutique Hotel would ha’ve been completely different. How can you suggest better options if you never let the Front Desk showed you what we had to offer?

On the other hand, we advised you to place your claim with your online travel agent. Until this moment we still haven’t heard anything from them and we are still waiting for them to contact us and discuss your case with management.

We hope that you enjoyed your stay in Puerto Rico. If you decide to visit our beautiful Island again we invite you to make your reservation at Acacia Boutique Hotel and give us chance to show you what we can offer.

Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed 15 August 2014

In general the hotel was what I expected, except for the way I was treated at check out. Around midnight the A/C made a loud clunk and quit working, the room had a ceiling fan and it was not a big deal. In the morning I told the front desk about it and was very pointedly asked why I had not reported it immediately. I said it was the middle of the night. The lady became angry saying I should report such things at anytime of the day or night. I wasn't asking for anything, just thought they should be aware of the problem, but instead of a "thank-you" I get a very angry response!

6 Thank DukeV
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We staying in room 103, loved the King bed, super comfortable. The shower didn't have hot water, we mentioned it to the front desk, and they offer to come check, but we opted not to have anyone come to our room to fix it. Amazing and huge hot tub, which you can use at any time, the pool is located at the other Hotel across the street (Wind Chimes Inn), if you are not lazy and won't die of walking less than a block, it was great. We rented a car and was able to park at the Wind Chimes Inn, parking is small, but convenient and inexpensive ($12 per night). The beach is super close, more like a private beach, since most of the locals from the apartments around, use it. We got chairs for the beach, at the front desk. Restaurants are 10 minutes walking, again if you are lazy or can't walk, this might be a problem. My husband and I love to walk and 10 minutes was nothing (I had a broken foot and still loved to walk). The Restaurant at the Hotel (Niche Rest.) was great for cocktails we drank at the hot tub! Can't wait to visit this place again, super Relaxing stay!

Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I arrive at the hotel at 10:30 p.m and there was no one at the front desk I had to walk one block up to another hotel to get someone to assist me with checking in. This hotel is small and quiet the morning front desk lady was very helpful and the restaurant is very small. However if you are looking for a hotel with all the restaurants near by this is not the place to stay I ended my stay here early and checked in to another hotel because of the cab fare I was spending to go back and forth. But the rooms are clean

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank shabeauty27
Austin
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I'll keep it short- This is a great hotel on a clean beach but if you'd better get a rental car. If not you will be spending a lot of money on taxi's. $15 from airport to hotel, another $18 to Old San Juan, $18 back to hotel & $15 back to airport, etc.. This was my only regret, not reserving a rental prior to my arrival for $27/day. Or just stay in Old San Juan, problem solved.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Kyle B
Stuart, Florida
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My only complaint is there is no parking lot associated with the hotel. Out side of that, the staff was very informative, the room was great, and the hot tub was perfect for after we walked all over to relieve muscle pain. Our room was 204, the balcony was closed and you can almost touch the hot tub from our balcony. Room 203 has a bigger wrap around balcony if you're into that. Our room slept 2 quite comfortably. The hotel is only a few blocks from the main highway, and within walking distance are some good restaurants and a bakery. I have already talked some of my friends into staying at this hotel and I would not hesitate to go back.

Room Tip: 204 or 203
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jiinxy
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My husband and I stood for one night. We arrived around 5:30pm and there was no parking available in their lot but we lucked out finding one on the street. I loved the area and shops around. Quiet, safe neighborhood. The front staff was amazing and the room was small but clean. The shower was fine. Our balcony was big and we had the view of the jacuzzi and the beach. We were able to hit the jacuzzi in the morning and it was nice. I wasn't able to go to the beach. Next time I go to PR I will definitely stay in this charming boutique hotel.

Room Tip: 2nd floor facing the beach..