“Excellent location and staff”

Acacia Boutique Hotel
Ranked #32 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
dallas, texas
“Excellent location and staff”
Reviewed 30 May 2009

We started off at the sister location right up the way, the Wind Chimes and it was a decent hotel with a fair bar. We walked over to the Acacia just to check it out and we were advised that for another $20 bucks a day we could get two separate rooms with a shared bathroom. Needless to say, we packed up from the Wind Chimes and transitioned to the Acacia and we were quite pleased that we did. The room was much nicer than we had experienced and we really liked the pool and the overall layout of the hotel. Our only complaint was that parking was such an issue in that area, but this was our first time to San Juan and we realized that we did not really need a vehicle for us to enjoy our stay. The location was just optimal for us, since were able to walk out of the hotel doors and in less than 5 minutes we would be on the beach and in the water and the pricing was exceptional. We only wish that the rooms had a mini fridge and and microwave since that would allow us to keep light snacks and sodas.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank jfcdallas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Finnish first
mvkate
Reviewed 3 April 2009

Oh. My. God. Hello? Hot Tub? It is the coolest, biggest, waterfalliest, changing color LED-est hot tub I have ever been in. Ever. The room was spacious and clean. Claudio at the front desk was AMAZING: professional, helpful, fun to talk to. He was eager to hear about our days, recommend restaurants, call us a cab...
We ended up at Acacia due to a reservations snafu, which the manager took care of promptly, and honored the rate we would have paid for our room At Wind Chimes. Even the parking worked out (parking space wasn't available on our last night), we were able to find street parking after 5 right around the corner. Walking distance to many restaurants, as well as the lovely beach visible from aforementioned hot tub. Have to admit, we weren't really there for beaching, though. We were headed to Vieques on the next portion of our trip, and saved our beach days for then. We had plenty of hot water and even wireless internet. Our best meal in all of San Juan was eaten right downstairs at Niche, their cozy, funky restaurant, with it's delightful staff, delicious food, and devine martinis!
Loved it, loved it, loved it. Did I mention the hot tub? Honestly, it was a-MAZ-ing!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mvkate
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 3 March 2009

We stayed here one night on our way back through San Juan having stayed at their other property called At Wind Chimes Inn for three days the prior week. The rooms here are larger and the views of the ocean, half a block away, are quite nice. The hot tub is huge, ocean side, well kept. The Inn is close to the commercial area of Condado but nicely removed by a few short blocks. We would return.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Zorro98
chicago, il
Reviewed 27 February 2009

we stayed here for two nights in february of 2009. the hotel is great in that it is very close to condado beach and it's an easy drive from the san juan airport. our room was fine, although not the most comfortable: our "king" size bed was really just two twin beds pushed together and secured with a strap. the overall feel of the hotel was a bit cold and dismissive: i far preferred the cozy and warm vibe over at at wind chimes inn, acacia's sister hotel. acacia was priced higher than at wind chimes, too!

acacia has a nice, HUGE hot tub...but it's not that hot (actually quite refreshing in the warm puerto rico sun) and a small restaurant in the lobby.

the whole place just felt too pretentious and unwelcoming to me, esp when compared with at wind chimes and the two other hotels we stayed at in puerto rico: and it was the most expensive place we stayed.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ziggy1177
Reviewed 19 February 2009

We visited in January 2009. Upon arriving with another couple we were upgraded from At Windchimes Inn. A pleasant surprise.

We took advantage of the spa, restaurant and the Boat Bar and pool at At Windchimes. It was a perfect cooperative arrangement.

The staff at Acacia was professional and very accessible. They were happy to assist with directions and other questions.

Dining was fabulous! The chef came out to visit and even brought out the root vegetables to show how she prepares. Very very nice touch!

A point - no clock in the room, so I was happy to have my watch.

Public transportation was economical and convenient. Many stores and restaurants within walking distance.

We're talking of returning!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gretchen L
boston
Reviewed 8 February 2009

I did a fair amount of research to find a smaller high-end hotel near the ocean (a block) and central enough to enjoy the restaurants and the general culture. I am happy to report I got both.

The front of the house staff Claudio and Palmerra were excellent. Both very professional, genuine and very nice people. The hearts of the people of San Juan are large and that is what makes it such a great place to visit. I like smaller intimate places because you actually get to know the staff first hand and the owner is a lucky man to have these two steering his ship.

But wait there's more...the food is fabulous... however you need to cut through the hype and get to the real wonderful Puerto Rican and Caribbean cuisine..it's a family oriented culture and food matters.

I am very judgmental when it comes to my food...I want the place clean, I want good service, I want to feel the owner gets what he is doing and wants to deliver consistently.

My three hands down favorites were Kasalta's for breakfast every morning one of the local hangouts (they have lunch, dinner and take out as well)...Kasalta's is a gem.

Picayo at the art museum is on the fine dining side and is also fabulous...the front of the house Maitre D', Martin is a gifted man when it comes to hospitality and on my second visit Martin introduced us to Chef Wilo Benet who is a force in the cuisine of his country. An engaging chef who cares about delivering fine high end food.

Metropol another local down home Puerto Rican eatery was another treasure. The waiter Raffie took a one look at me and told me I had to try the roast pork (I guess he knows his Boston Irish tourist palettes), the engaging staff immediately served up some amazing bread, and Raffi kept the house wine from Spain coming...Raffi brought out a bowl of chopped garlic marinated in olive oil as a sauce for the pig and I was in heaven!

A few other mentionable's were Miro, Bebo and the Tapas bar (forget the name) next to Dragon Flies in old San Juan...on the down side Pasteria near the hotel was a bust lots of staff but no service, no one cleaning the tables or cleaning the place...so the floor was strewn with napkins and food. No excuse for that in my opinion... it starts at the top and the owner doesn't get the food service business. I was also disappointed in BuddaThai.

El San Juan on Friday and Saturday nites is fun. I also suggest getting up early one morning grabbing a few bottles of water and walking to Old San Juan..its a good hike (5 or so miles)...but will give you a great idea of the area and what is all about. There is a great lagoon right before the bridge.

All and all Acacia was exactly what I needed. We both work long hours and I travel a lot so we just wanted to chill and pretty much do nothing except hit the beach, take a bunch of hikes, and check out the local cuisine.

Stayed February 2009
3 Thank dfordboston
Washington
Reviewed 30 January 2009

I Love it the staff was very helpfull and polite and they helped us out very much, they made us feel at home, It is a very nice and clean place and it is less then a minute away from the beach, the room was small but it was perfect I had enough room to put my clothes away, bed was comfortable, the jacuzzi is awsome its warm water so you can enjoy at night when it cools down.. All I have to say is that this is the first time I been to Acacia and I can assure you that this is the place where I will be staying from now on when I go to Condado. I Love It and I highly recomend it.

• Liked — Staff I love them, they made me feel like I was home
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends