“This place is trash. I was completely outraged!”

Atlantic Beach Hotel
Ranked #45 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Isabela, Puerto Rico
“This place is trash. I was completely outraged!”
Reviewed 20 September 2011

First off, the hotel looks NOTHING like what their site depicts. I'm originally from PR, and being gay, and on vacation, I thought I'd be nice to stay at this hotel during my visit to San Juan. Well, I checked out 20 minutes after I got there (I would have left immediately if the supervisor had been more cooperative). As I walked in and saw the catastrophe of a lobby, I immediately asked the “housekeeping supervisor” for a refund. The housekeeping supervisor was the only person working at this hotel and was completely and utterly unprofessional. He advised me that since I had already booked the room online I could not get my money back. I am currently filing a complaint with my credit card company in order to get my money back. But either way, I would have never stayed at such a dirty place. The lobby looks like a war zone. The supervisor looks like he had just crawled off a dumpster. The room was small, dirty, outdated, with dirt and blood on the sheets, and no amenities whatsoever. The room was not even air conditioned. The condition of the room and this hotel was completely unacceptable; I would not even imagine a motel being this dirty and unkempt. I would not advise anyone to stay here. As I said, I am still currently trying to get my money back and the only person to contact is the dirty supervisor working the nasty front desk; completely unbelievable. I ended up staying at La Concha, which was beautiful and I would highly recommend staying there. However, do not make the mistake of booking the “Atlantic Beach Hotel” online—it is not as depicted on their photos. If I had the time and energy, I would sue this place. They are building a place next door which looks more promising called “Oceana” and is set to open sometime Sept 2011. The location of this place is great ... You just need to blow it up to pieces and start over with a new owner.

4 Thank izzy1696

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Fajardo, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 19 September 2011

If you dont want to pass a hard time please dont ever visit this hotel, first the employees are so rude starting with the front desk manager, i try to cancel in the minute that i just arrive and the manager told me that it was impossible to make a cancelation, that even if i want to go, he have to charge my card, for the fulll amount second the front desk manager, Is so rude that i was embarassed of even bring my wife to this hotel, Just to let you know the front desk manager, is the waiter, the parking manager, the bartender, even janitor, this is the worst experienced i ever have in a hotel. The employees i think are from the puerto rico mafia so please stay away if you dont want to have a bad experienced

3 Thank juancirinocamacho
orlando
Reviewed 15 September 2011

As many reviews have previously stated, renovations are currently being undertaken and according to the hotel manager, are slated to be completed in December, 2011. I was in a non-ocean front room which appeared to have not yet been renovated, though the furniture and fixtures appeared to be new. Bed was extremely comfortable and flat screen TV was nice. Pros:
location
friendliness and helpfulness of staff
beachfront bar
proximity to shopping and other areas
hotel has its own generator so power is uninterrupted in the event of power outages due to storms, etc.
Cons:
1) bathroom was moldy and had a window which would not fully close - as a result, I had to keep the bathroom door shut all the time so that the air conditioning in the room did not leak out through the open window
2) no restaurant or way to get coffee at the hotel - luckily, a starbucks is 2 blocks away
3) construction on renovations started every morning at 7 a.m. ---- extremely noisy
4) room itself was very small
5) elevator was ancient and a little scary to ride - i took the stairs most of the time

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room and get the non-ocean front option if you want to have a quiet evening wher...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank fitzlpatrick
Garden Grove, California
Reviewed 14 September 2011

The hotel was undergoing construction when I went in June 2011! The hotel price was cheap and its in front of the beach! It's an old hotel and some items don't work like the elevator, door knob. The staff were helpful, but parking was horrible!!!!! Also this hotel is known in Puerto Rico as the gay hotel. I wanted to pay cheap and I had a decent stay! This hotel is safe and near a few restaurants in walking distance.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Liz C
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 11 September 2011

I stayed at this hotel from 9/3 to 9/4. The hotel is still undergoing renovations so the lobby is an eyesore. The elevator and stairs is also in bad shape so it gives the place a 1 star feeling. The staff also speaks little English so communication can involve some guess work. On the plus side the rooms were basic but clean and you really can't beat the location for the price. The hotel is really right on the beach. There are plenty of restaurants and shops within walking distance. There is also a Wendys, Walgreens and Dunkin Donuts within a 10 minute walk from the hotel. There are plenty of cops around so you do feel safe. Nightlife was ok in this area but if you really want to get more options you should go to Old San Juan which is about a 10 minute ride from the hotel. If u take a taxi make sure you ask for the fare before getting in. I had an experience where the hotel staff told me the fare would be around $12.  I asked the taxi driver how much and he said $20. I told him I heard it was 12 and he quickly said yes 12 :) they are known to overcharge naive tourists.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank TAMember04192014
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Atlantic Beach Hotel
PO Box 16876
San Juan PR 00908-6876

Complaint Description:
I checked into the Atlantic Beach on Friday the 2nd and checked out Saturday the 3rd. I have a $187 authorization on my CC, $86 of which is for the room and the other $100 was a hold which I was told twice would be removed within 48 hours guaranteed. I made sure to ask because I am flying in three days and need the money to pay for my luggage. My CC company told Atlantic Beach to simply send a fax to the CC company saying they authorized the release of the $100. When I went to check on the situation and give the employee the information to send to the CC company he refused, then refused to give me the manager's name or his name! THEN, when I (5'9" 150 skinny guy) told him that the hotel was holding my money hostage he came from behind the counter with a big stick and threatened to hit me with it. I don't know if there are cameras there or not but I swear to God this man (I was able to find out he is a Cuban man named Eric or something similar) came at me with a stick (which is prbably still behind the counter) and when my CC company called him after he continually hung up on my calls he refused to fax the info for the release of the hold. The threat of physical violence against me and the refusal to return my $100 hold after a week when I was told it would be back in the acccount within 48 hours when I left the room squeaky clean is unacceptable, especially since I stay in hotels in San Juan all the time and many don't even use the CC hold. The hotel is refusing to help in any way and I am without the money I need, and the threat of beating me with a stick is incredibke. I was going to call the police but he told my friend who was with me at the hotel that he was calling a group of his friends to come so we left.

2 Thank AtLeastBeDecent
San Diego, California
Reviewed 25 August 2011

My Husband and I spent eight nights at the Atlantic during August. Although we read many reviews of San Juan hotels on Tripadvisor, we decided that their location and price is mainly what attracted us. We were for the most part satisfied with the condition of our room which was very clean and basic for our needs. The staff, especially the front desk were very friendly and helpful in assisting us with arrangeing a tour to the rain forrest.

We will be returning to San Juan in January 2012 for a seven day Princess cruise, and and have already booked a three day precruise stay at the Atlantic.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple