“PERFECT BAR SITUATION” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #44 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Miami, Florida
“PERFECT BAR SITUATION”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

This isn't a review for the hotel - rather the bar which serves drinks onto the beach. Free to use the beach chairs - and the guys serving drinks are very friendly and attentive. Also happy hour nearly all day - so $3.50 mixed drinks and $3 beers!

WOW!!

2 Thank Robert C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

My Boyfriend and I just finished up a three week vacation in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. Two weeks of which was spent staying at the Atlantic Beach Hotel. First and foremost, we must say that the staff is unbelievably friendly and accommodating. By the end of our trip we felt as if they were old friends that we had been visiting. Thank you for that!

The hotel location is absolutely prime. It is on the beach, within walking distance to anything on the Condado and very close to Public Transportation to get you to Old San Juan. The newly renovated lobby looks absolutely beautiful and we cannot wait for the new bar to be finished. We will have to make a trip back to just to try it out! :-) As it is now, there is a large patio and a small bar that conducts happy hour from 12pm through 11pm. Very affordable!

Construction being previously mentioned, it is necessary to point out that at this time there is a fair amount of loud construction noise. This noise lasts from very early in the morning and through out the day in to the evening. Furthermore, when the hotel is full the hallways are very loud. You can hear any conversation taking place as if it is in your own room. This was not good when we were calling it a night and our neighbors weren't coming in until 4 am. We were woken every time.

Our first room was absolutely beautiful. Very Large room with an ocean view, very clean and updated. However, when we returned from our trip from the Virgin Islands the promotional rate was over, so we opted out of the ocean view. The room that we were put in was, again, very clean and updated, BUT it was no bigger than a medium sized walk-in closet. No Bueno!

Overall, our trip and stay at Atlantic Beach was ideal. It was affordable, with a nice staff, and clean rooms. This was out second stay and I am positive we will continue to stay with them. The construction noise can be overlooked, because alas, it will soon be over.

Thank you Atlantic Beach Hotel!

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and go for the ocean view if you want a bigger room.
2 Thank bwrigh10
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

My husband and I just went on our honeymoon. We sailed on a cruise out of San Juan, Puerto Rico and had to stay one night in San Juan before we flew back home. I research many hotels before we left for our trip. We almost stayed somewhere else instead of the Atlantic Beach Hotel and I am so glad that we didn't. The Atlantic Beach hotel was walking distance to shopping and restaurants. It is located right on the beach. Has a great Happy Hour (but not over crowded). Newly renovated lobby and rooms. Everything was very clean. The elevator could us some work but overall friendly staff. They even gave us an early check-in since we were on our honeymoon and gave us a nice room on the top floor. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The rooms are not terribly big but that didn't matter for us. Oh yeah...the rate was the best I found in all my research.

Room Tip: For the little extra money get an ocean view room.
1 Thank Noel K
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights during the on-season and I could not have been happier with my choice. The hotel is in an incredible location next to places to eat, casinos, public transit to Old San Juan, and its right on the beach. The staff was friendly to me each day as I left the hotel to explore the city and they were very helpful in answering questions and ordering cabs. While the hotel is under construction, the work they've done so far makes a bit of tapping that starts at 9:30am okay. Yes, the rooms are small, but if I wanted to sit in my room all day I would have booked at a nicer place down the road. If you're coming to San Juan with realistic expectations and you don't plan on sitting in the room all day, the this is the hotel for you. I only give it 4 stars because I would have loved to use the beach bar, but unfortunately it was under construction during my stay. For the location and the price, this place can't be beat!

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms are worth the extra money. They seem to be bigger and the view is wonderful!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Rikki A
muskogee ok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

Just spent 3 weeks in San Juan. The hotel is changing with a new lobby, but keeping the best hotel staff in town. You will feel like you just came home. Best bar if you like the beach. Rooms are being remodeled. Walking distance to everything including public transit to old San Juan. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Spend your money on seeing San Juan and its attractions. Book at the Atlantic Beach.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank roger b
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

I found this hotel strategically located, just right next to the beach and close to many restaurants and good bars with live music. The manager was extremely nice and friendly, and although the hotel is quite simple, it is an excellent choice. Breakfast was quite good too.

2 Thank Lina M
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2011

I stayed at the Atlantic Beach Hotel for several nights during my very recent trip to Puerto Rico. Their lobby was newly renovated to compete against the modern beach bar/club that had opened next door. The hotel gave the illusion of being a clean place to stay; that was soon to be proven false! Let me start by saying I have never stayed in such a dirty hotel but for the sake of saving thirty bucks (compared to the big chain beach hotels next door), I went against my better judgment and decided to stay once I saw the incredibly tiny room. The images that are shown of the rooms are not what you actually get when you stay here. The halls had filth everywhere and a significant amount of mold was present around the bathroom! I was willing to overlook this and stay since I had paid in advance for the room on-line and believed it to be nonrefundable. The location is great, right on the beach, but so are a number of large very clean chain hotels for slightly more per night. Spend the extra few dollars and stay at one of those! I later changed to a room with a view that was big enough for two adults to move in and paid extra for it, but mold was still an big issue in the new room, again I tried to not let that bother me too much. The Atlantic Beach Hotel is doing construction on the roof and on another floor (it only has 4 stories of hotel rooms), and on the second night their workers started jackhammering at 7:15 AM! This happened on my third night as well, so I finally decided to politely say something to the only employee working there at that time. They looked surprised. Why? They could clearly hear the banging from the lobby for themselves. I was given a quick and insincere apology. The next morning the workers starting hammering an hour earlier, at 6:15 AM!!! I then complained to an employee who was there most of the time (who locals later told me was the owner) and they just stared at me blankly. I told them this was unacceptable and that guests should have been warned so they could negotiate a refund and make other arrangements, at least do not charge me for the useless upgrade. I was told I got a 50% off promotional rate (NOT TRUE); locals told me that what I was paying was NOT half off and that I was being lied to again. The entire staff became incredibly rude and aggressive towards me because I dared to stand my ground and complain. Never have I experienced such an unprofessional attitude, especially from a service oriented business. When I asked for the owner’s name (I pretended to not know who it was), I was told that a corporation owned the hotel, and the only number available was to the hotel’s front desk. All lies, just like many of the locals nearby had come to tell me. I never even got an apology from the owner or the rude staff…. just lies. I have a dispute pending with my Credit card company against them. You will not get your money back nor will you get hospitality at this hotel! Save yourselves the grief and stay anywhere else but this dive.

Room Tip: Rooms are tiny and you cannot control the A/C!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends