“Nice hotel and great value”

Atlantic Beach Hotel
Ranked #47 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Three of us stayed at this hotel for three weeks...........that's right three weeks! The staff was great, especially Francis and Peter. They were more than happy to bring out maps of San Juan and direct us to points of interest. This hotel is right on the beach, walk out of the lobby onto the patio/bar/restaurant and you are on the beach. I would stay there again. Right in the heart of San Juan.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the beach.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ted R

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Great location. Great beach (though I wish it was cleaned more methodically). Stayed here a long time ago and the decor and layout is much improved. I really like the stone tiles in the shower. While some staff are decidedly more friendly and accommodating than others, I had a really good stay. The view from our room was superb and the food at the hotel restaurant was really quite good. I love the big deck and all the seating options, including breakfast in the breeze overlooking the beach!

Room Tip: I liked the rooms that look out over the beach and I prefer a higher floor when I can get it.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wwtenafly
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

When we arrived at the front desk we where a few hours early. Everyone knows you can't check in early unless you get lucky. The guy behind the counter was new. I want to give him a special thanks, his name was Peter. He was so nice and professional. He let us know that check in was @ 3pm but he could get us started on the process and with any luck the room may be ready a little early. Now here's when we almost turned around and left. Some guy, probably one of the managers, came out and I think I heard someone call him Jack. Well, this Jack guy started yelling at Peter for no reason and right in front of everyone. Snatching papers out of this hand and treating hook like garbage, was humiliating. Then he ordered him to go on break as to dismiss him. Then this guy proceeds to be a jerk to us and just says check in is at 3...period. after all that we did get to check in early. I mean really???

The rooms are tiny and kind of run down, loud music from the bar made it hard too sleep. They advertise a happy hour but the prices aren't what the sign says. It just seemed to be one thing after another at this place.

The only positive aspect was the professionalism and courtesy of Peter, he made us feel right at home. I give him 5 stars and the hotel one, for location only. I give Jack zero stars.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank ColoradoHenry
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

Came with my partner for a couple of drinks after to and talk about our day. we stop in the bar. There is a banner with happy hour for beer $3.00 and mixed drinks $3.50 from 5pm-9pm. When we are about to light a cigarette we get screamed because it's non smoking yet the area is open air and no signs near where we were seated. But kool no problem (law states indoors). When we order our beer the total is $8.00 when we ask why if there is a banner stating the price they act like there is no banner. I take a picture of it and show it to the bartender. He said that it no longer valid. Yet it is in plain sight on the outside of the hotel. He does not honor the price and sends to cut it off. When we talk to the bar manager so he said he was (no id stating such thing) he goes to the front desk where my partner was and the person said if they don't like it too bad. When my partner hears this he states that having a publicized ad and not honoring it is against the law. We were then asked to leave. They have no customer service nor tact for speaking to patrons and this shows poor management. And just in case drinks here are measured so they are weak for the price you pay I will try to post pix of banner for I am insulted buy there actions and treatment from a hotel that is part of the lgbt community.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hector M. R
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Some staff were friendly & some nasty. We were "upgraded" to an apartment since they obviously overbooked the hotel. It was more space but not clean. Also no hair dryer was provided. We specifically checked with the hotel that a hair dryer would be in the room & they confirmed so we didn't pack one. When we went to the front desk & requested a hair dryer they snapped at us saying "apartment's don't come with hair blowers! We had an extra but someone took it & I can't look in every room for it! I don't have time for that!". I stayed calm & said that's fine & offered to take time out of my vacation to personally walk 3 blocks away to Walgreens to purchase a hair dryer & said they could reimburse me for the hair dryer & then keep it to replace the missing one - or simply leave it in that apartment for future guests. I was screamed at saying "we will absolutely not reimburse you!!!". Then first night at the bar there are huge signs saying Happy Hour 5-9 pm all cocktails & mixed drinks only $3.50. We started ordering & when the bill arrived it was listed $5 a cocktail. We asked about Happy Hour prices & they laughed saying "today we decided to raise the prices & there is nothing we can do about it". Absolutely ridiculous management. To avoid stress I would shell out more money & just stay at La Concha next door. It's sad this place has a great location but is run like an eastern european hostel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Jack R
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I wasn't sure what to expect after booking this hotel. The rates are very affordable and it's literally right on the beach. The pictures on the website all looked to good to be true, so what was going to be the catch? All I can say is that the rooms are smaller than what they look like online but have been recently renovated and are actually pretty nice. The AC can not be controlled from the room but it was cold so who really cares. All in all the hotel ammenities where fine, I mean you're there for the beach anyway!!

The staff was ok but if you're lucky enough PETER will be working a lot during your stay. This guy knows what customer service is all about and was so friendly it made us feel like we where staying with friends. The rest of the staff...not so much. Thanks Peter.

Overall, I would book this hotel again and be very happy.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the ocean front room and if you're a couple make sure you get the queen!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 0801krw
Reviewed 14 February 2014

This is an older hotel but the public areas including the lobby and outdoor deck with an adjoining bar and restaurant have been nicely updated. There are great views of the beach and ocean from the ocean front hotel rooms and from the pleasant outdoor deck overlooking the beach. The guest rooms are small, but clean and the bathroom was updated. We ate at the restaurant for lunch and dinner a couple of times during our stay and the food was very good. The bartenders were fun and upbeat and there is an extended happy hour from 5 PM - 9 PM, with great prices on drinks. The hotel has deck chairs they put out on the beach every morning and beach towels are available (deposit required). The only negatives were that the older elevator was inoperative for a day or so during our stay and the music from the bar area can be heard in the ocean front rooms at night. The hotel staff was helpful with directions to restaurants, bus stops, etc.

Room Tip: Choose an ocean front room for great views of the beach and ocean. Music from the bar area can be h...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lchitten
Juan R, Guest Relations Manager at Atlantic Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Dear Ichitten:

The entire staff of The Atlantic Beach Hotel very much appreciates your most kind and thoughtful words that you wrote about us in your Tripadvisor review. All my colleagues here at The Atlantic always work very hard as a team effort to try and satisfy all of our guest needs and always look forward to their return visits. I passed on your review to our staff members at our newest addition, The SeaView Oceanfront Restaurant and Lounge Bar for which they were so delighted that you mentioned them in your review. They were so happy that you were pleased with "the very good food" offerings and the "fun and upbeat" enviroment they strive to create espceially during the weekday Happy Hour.

As a side note, The Atlantic Beach Hotel is always trying to upgrade and improve its existing product and services. During your January stay our elevator was having its annual inspection and certification which regretfully created the five hour downtime that you mentioned. On a happier note, we are pleased to inform you that a new updated and modernized elevator is being schduled for early summer replacement. We know this large investment is long overdue and it will certainly enhance all of our guest future experiences.

We thank you again for your review and look forward to your return stay at The Atlantic Beach Hotel.

Muchos Gracias!