“Service not a priority ”

Atlantic Beach Hotel
Ranked #46 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

This review is for the bar / restaurant attached to the hotel. It is a great location but service is awful. Went in to have lunch sat and waited for 20 minutes. Ended up going to the bar to get our own drinks. Asked a server for a menu and waited 30 minutes before we got up to go across the street to have lunch, we never even received the menu. Can't imagine a restaurant more poorly run. Also they use regulators on the liquor bottles so drinks are weak.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EC-Hopkinton
There are newer reviews for Atlantic Beach Hotel

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Didnt realize it when I made the reservation,but my partner and I had a relaxing time here our last day in PR.Sure,the check in was slow and confusing(the staff are a bit out to lunch,permanently!),the room had early-Grandma artwork,the elevator wasnt working well(I chose to walk to and from our 4th floor room...),but the lobby and patio area have been beautifully done and the beach is beautiful.Lots of older gay couples mixed with younger crowd and families,but a quiet bunch...Slept well even tho we were directly above the bar(and kept the window open to enjoy sounds of surf!).Overall a good experience.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2014

The Atlantic Beach was a wonderful surprise. The rooms have been renovated and the whole bar, dining area is now bathed in soft blue lighting that makes the entire experience a romantic one. Nice overstuffed chairs and sofas are off to the side in the open concept living room and casual seating is just that, comfortable. Gracious wait staff serve meals and snacks at all times of the day and evening and happy hour is just that. The eclectic and diverse people serving you and being served make the place special. The raunchiness of the past decades has been replaced by professionals and all life-styles are welcome and all feel comfortable. You can't beat the ocean front setting. $80.00 a night was well worth it and I prefer the ambiance of the Atlantic Beach to the plastic regularity of the $300.00 night Marriott two doors up.

I forgot to mention that the roaring surf of the ocean is constantly present, athletic men and women of all persuasions and ages adorn the beach chairs and job up and down the Atlantic, Palms sway in the wind and nobody asks you to leave your ocean front perch.

I have read that some of the rooms are small but I will never know because when the staff saw that I had two new knees from replacement surgery they immediately gave me a first floor apartment to use despite my having only paid for the minimal standard room.

Oceana next door is a state of the art first class buffet on Sundays and a new "the place to be" for the hip crowd, again no matter what your life-style, gay, straight, black, white, mainlander from the U.S. or Puerto Rican of any shape and color. This is the place to go and a bargain at that. Tell them Charlie sent you!

Room Tip: Tell them about your new knees and you might get a special spot to stay. The staff are wonderful at...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Charliehyannis
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Three of us stayed at this hotel for three weeks...........that's right three weeks! The staff was great, especially Francis and Peter. They were more than happy to bring out maps of San Juan and direct us to points of interest. This hotel is right on the beach, walk out of the lobby onto the patio/bar/restaurant and you are on the beach. I would stay there again. Right in the heart of San Juan.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the beach.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ted R
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Great location. Great beach (though I wish it was cleaned more methodically). Stayed here a long time ago and the decor and layout is much improved. I really like the stone tiles in the shower. While some staff are decidedly more friendly and accommodating than others, I had a really good stay. The view from our room was superb and the food at the hotel restaurant was really quite good. I love the big deck and all the seating options, including breakfast in the breeze overlooking the beach!

Room Tip: I liked the rooms that look out over the beach and I prefer a higher floor when I can get it.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wwtenafly
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

When we arrived at the front desk we where a few hours early. Everyone knows you can't check in early unless you get lucky. The guy behind the counter was new. I want to give him a special thanks, his name was Peter. He was so nice and professional. He let us know that check in was @ 3pm but he could get us started on the process and with any luck the room may be ready a little early. Now here's when we almost turned around and left. Some guy, probably one of the managers, came out and I think I heard someone call him Jack. Well, this Jack guy started yelling at Peter for no reason and right in front of everyone. Snatching papers out of this hand and treating hook like garbage, was humiliating. Then he ordered him to go on break as to dismiss him. Then this guy proceeds to be a jerk to us and just says check in is at 3...period. after all that we did get to check in early. I mean really???

The rooms are tiny and kind of run down, loud music from the bar made it hard too sleep. They advertise a happy hour but the prices aren't what the sign says. It just seemed to be one thing after another at this place.

The only positive aspect was the professionalism and courtesy of Peter, he made us feel right at home. I give him 5 stars and the hotel one, for location only. I give Jack zero stars.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank ColoradoHenry
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

Came with my partner for a couple of drinks after to and talk about our day. we stop in the bar. There is a banner with happy hour for beer $3.00 and mixed drinks $3.50 from 5pm-9pm. When we are about to light a cigarette we get screamed because it's non smoking yet the area is open air and no signs near where we were seated. But kool no problem (law states indoors). When we order our beer the total is $8.00 when we ask why if there is a banner stating the price they act like there is no banner. I take a picture of it and show it to the bartender. He said that it no longer valid. Yet it is in plain sight on the outside of the hotel. He does not honor the price and sends to cut it off. When we talk to the bar manager so he said he was (no id stating such thing) he goes to the front desk where my partner was and the person said if they don't like it too bad. When my partner hears this he states that having a publicized ad and not honoring it is against the law. We were then asked to leave. They have no customer service nor tact for speaking to patrons and this shows poor management. And just in case drinks here are measured so they are weak for the price you pay I will try to post pix of banner for I am insulted buy there actions and treatment from a hotel that is part of the lgbt community.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple