“Do NOT waste your money!! Bed bugs and rude staff!”

Atlantic Beach Hotel
Ranked #45 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Los Angeles, CA
“Do NOT waste your money!! Bed bugs and rude staff!”
Reviewed 31 July 2010

I just finished a week's stay at the Atlantic Beach Hotel with a friend and by the last day we couldn't wait to get out of there!! We had booked this place for the following reasons: #1: it's advertised as a "gay-friendly" hotel in many sites and gay travel publications, #2: the llocation, right in the center of Condado, #3: the price. To be as objective and real as I can be, I will list the good first: 1. Location: its true, it is righ in fron of what's considered the "gay beach" and at the center of all restaurants and shops, but then again, so are the other hotels AND you can still come to the gay beach for free because beaches are all public here. 2. Price: when you are on a budget and not a "picky" traveler, all you want is a clean place to sleep and bathe. By the look of the tiles in the bathroom and the furniture in the room you can tell they have done some remodeling. The BAD: where do I even begin?? 1. The staff: when we checked in, no explanation was given to us of what was around or nearby. Also there is one guy we named the "hotel nazi" because he keeps an eye on your every move; VERY uncomfortable. Yes, I know I'm gay, I don't need you to keep staring at me like I'm going to start an orgy or something. 2. The rest of the hotel is in serious need of a remodel: the bar is rund down, the elevator seems like it's about to give any minute (very scary!), and the front deskreminds me of a disorganized private investigator's desk from a bad 80's police show: paperwork pinned on boards and stacked all over. There's also a lingering smell of damp rags in that area. I know we are near the beach and all, but really? This is my first impression? 3. BED BUGS!! Every morning i'd wake up with itchy tiny rashes which I thought were due to mosquitoes. Then it ocurred to me to look at my sheets one day, and sure enough, there they were!! Yuck!! Do I needto go on?? 4. Heavy Atmosphere. I've stayed at plenty budget hotels before where I have felt like I've stayed at a 5 star resort because of the friendliness of the staff. Here I felt like I was in a dorm where my every move had to be analyzed in case I became a sex-crazed, out-of-control gay man! Seriously?? Even the locals would agree this is NOT the place to stay if you are a gay client simply because its in front of the gay beach or it has a "gay-friendly" bar. I learned my lesson. Next time I will spend a few more dollars and stay somewhere else!! In the mean time, I'm putting the word out there. If you are gay, STAY AWAY!! Use the gay beach during the day if you'd like, but then go to a nicer place to sleep at night where you are not treated like a prisoner!!

1 Thank Bruin98

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Isla de Vieques, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 18 July 2010

So really, what did you all expect for a hotel located directly on the ocean for $89.00? Nope, not the Ritz, but a really pleasant little hotel. For that price I received a clean comfortable room with an ocean view, and a very accommodating staff. I am really puzzled by all of the negative reviews here. The location couldn't be any better and there was never a time that I felt "unsafe".
I own a small hotel in PR and I can confidently reccommend The Atlantic Beach Hotel for my guests traveling to Condado. We'll be back soon!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 15 July 2010

I'm puertorican and live in san juan. Wanted just a one night room in the least expensive htl near the Vista al Mar area, where a fiesta was to take place all afternoon and evening. After reading reviews and checking prices I gambled on the Atlantic Beach. The Condado area of san juan is quite expensive. My bill came to $108 including an oceanfront room, one night parking and taxes. I found friendly staff. The building still needs more care. It is an old building and in front of the ocean it depreciates quickly. I found my refurbished room clean and very pretty. The new bed and white bedding were beautiful and very comfortable. Sparkling room floor and small bathroom were clean and very pretty. Room size just right. Funny that you cannot control the air conditioning, but it was ok (this was in july).
Room on the second floor so I went up and down the refurbished stairs, bright and nice. The elevator needs a remake but it works. Oceanfront bar simple, comfy and friendly. Patrons low key, friendly and happy. The ocean in that area is somewhat too rough for me, I perfer calmer waters but still lots of adults and children were bathing. I found the area not dangerous but one must always be careful. I was not approached by anybody for anything and didn't see anybody like waiting for us as we went in and out of the htl.
All that said...there is a new building going up across Vendig St. in front of the htl and nextdoors facing the ocean there is an abandoned see through shell of a same size and type building as the Atlantic Beach. Walking distance with entrance right on Ashford Ave. and sharing the same beach are the Renaissance La Concha and the Marriott plus other. The Atlantic Beach entrance, which is on Vendig St. could use a gardener and a painter. Can't figure why it's not been done. Conclusion: wish the owners would pay more attention to the front area. I'd go back if need be and would recommend with aforementioned flags. I'm posting some photos.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LauraVioleta
New Holland, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 July 2010

Stayed here for one night. The room we had was clean,but very small. There was hardly enough room for our two large suitcases on the floor. There is parking for a fee.
The hotel has a great location, right in Condado close to great shops and resturants - all within walking distance.

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 30 June 2010

Our travel agent put me and my husband here on our honeymoon. We were scheduled for three nights, but stayed one and went looking for a better, safer place. The only good thing was the hotel had a nice view of the ocean. We had trouble finding the place because it is basically at the end of an alley and has only four parking spots (behind gates). It is an old, renovated building that has not been cared for well. The hallways are dark and dirty, the elevator does not work properly, and we felt unsafe in the general area. The room was alright, except it didn't have air control in the room and the door didn't fit properly so a lot of light came in from the hallway. The bathroom was basically a closet you had to step a foot into, and the shower was tiny. We decided to go elsewhere after walking to a nearby Dunkin Donuts for breakfast - the doors were locked, the staff had to allow you to come in. The general area felt very unsafe. We went to Old San Juan, which was much better, and stayed at The Gallery Inn.

1 Thank CaraF_20
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 June 2010

I just got back from my third stay at Atlantic Beach Hotel and it was great. The newly renovated rooms were great and looked like something out of the West Elm Catalog. Rooms were clean and service daily was great. Jack and the rest of the front desk staff were very friendly and accommodating, night and day. Armando the bartender was terrific and having the beach at the bottom of the steps was awesome. No, it's not the Ritz Carlton but more intimate with character and the ocean views are great. Will definitely be going back.

2 Thank manamystery
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 9 June 2010

Old hotel that has been remodeled. Elevator was not working properly, hallways were filthy, rooms very small, sand on the bed sheets before we even sat on the bed. If that was not bad enough, there is no temperature control in the rooms. It was 95 degrees outside and 50 degrees in our room. When we complained about how cold the room was, the staff told us to try to close the vents because the entire hotel is the same temperature. The vents were not able to close so we froze for 2 nights. The hotel is positioned at the end of a very small street that appears to be an alley at first sight. This place has absolutely NO curb appeal. The hotel is also flanked by 2 abandoned hotels that are mere shells.
Everytime we left the hotel there were always several men positioned on the street asking us if we wanted "help" with anything.
The beach was nice but the staff told us not to carry anything valuable with us on the beach once it got dark. The outdoor bar was about the only redeeming part of this property. We expected SO much more since the hotel boasts its "gay friendly" status. We planned on staying longer but had to leave after 2 nights and stay at another hotel down the street.

1 Thank Keith5186