“sweet little hotel”

Atlantic Beach Hotel
Ranked #47 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 20 September 2010

my boyfriend and i travelled to puerto rico for a few days on vieques, and the rest back in san juan. we'd found the site of the atlantic beach hotel, liked the look of it, and the price. we're a hetero couple but this being a 'gay hotel' didn't factor in one way or another...why would it? we'd read some of the negative reviews so were a tiny bit doubtful about it, but we really enjoyed it. sure, it's a little shabby. the elevator is sloooow and creaky. the phone situation is a little odd. (we'd accidentally drowned our phones while in vieuqes,so had to rely on landlines) but our room was squeaky clean, newly refurbished, all white and stark and minimalistic and pretty, the closet was roomy, the bathroom cute, the water pressure just fine, and the AC...well, it can't BE too cold for me, so i had no problem with it. best of all: the view. we opened our drapes and beheld sparkling blue/green waters and gently waving palm trees and white sand, just steps outside our door. the staff was universally pleasant and helpful, from the front desk to the bartenders, the drinks good, the beach chairs and towels free. we slept like babies with the sound of the surf lulling us. the neighborhood seems FINE to me, lively and busy, with tons of restaurants and shopping nearby, and we never felt unsafe. i'd definitely recommend this to open minded, laid back folks who just want a clean pretty room on the beach at a good price, and don't need frills or pampering. we'd definitely go back.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank luna1122

Reviewed 3 September 2010

I not gay, so I was very skeptical about this place. I can tell that is not the Hilton but for the price and the service, my money was very well spent. The view was gorgeous, you feel in heaven. My room was always clean, the bathroom is not a spa salon but it is very decent, hot water always available. The Bar in really nice, Ivan was our bartender and he is divine. Angel was our guy in the front desk, and meanwhile my friends were having fun with their gay partners he took the time to talk and spent quality time with me even that he is gay, and that is what I call service. The restaurants near by are really good and cheap. Everything is close, no more than 10 minuts away. And the hotel also offered different tours around the city and were GREAT. For sure I'll do it again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Adrianacro1
Reviewed 12 August 2010

In the past this was the Premiere Gay Hotel in Condado with a large roof top club and exclusively gay clientele. Thus, the beach in front of the hotel was gay.
The hotel has changed ownership and it is now marketed as a "Gay Friendly " hotel.

Gone is the roof top club, the bar is pretty pathetic and in are the weekend strollers with families and kids...in a words "NOT FUN". The good news is that the rooms have been renovated, but the a/c is not individually controlled in your room (which may account for the large openning on the bottom of each room door for more ventilation).
If you pay your bar tab with a credit card be prepared to pay an additional fee of 15% (illegal...hmmm, and no waiter tips on credit card). Some small details that need to be looked at, turn onthe water so you can rinse your feet when you leave beach, otherwise there is sand all over lobby and in your room.
Huge exclusively gay hotel under construction across street that will probably bring Atlantic Beach to it's knees.
Best to spend your money elsewhere and visit the unHappyHour as a guest.--bar staff are fun and worth chatting with.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank jaonyc
Reviewed 9 August 2010

Not only was it a nice hotel and a good price but the employees were so nice and welcoming, Just to name a few Ivan, Angel, Tino, Armando, All were so nice, Our rooms were clean the whole time, The hotel was right on the beach, its beyond gay friendly, There were nice places to eat as well but we found one right across the street from the gym next to the hotel called Orosco's so we eat there everyday, The clubs are like a 5 min cab ride away, The weather was so nice the whole time, and yes there were some men that stand around waiting for someone to pay them to "hang out" but that's just how it is there we assumed... : ) But but yes if you want to stay at a nice hotel that is right on the beach Atlantic Beach Hotel is it!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank mikah526
Reviewed 7 August 2010

This hotel is HORRIBLE. We spent the day at the beach in front of the hotel.We got there early. It was dirty. Trash everywhere cigarette butts covered the beautiful sand. We went to the hotel bar and bought drinks. They were not much bigger than a dentist office spit cup and were expensive. As we were leaving the old toothless guy who worked the front desk yelled something at us and called us FAGS!

Do not waste a penny here!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CarlosO01
Reviewed 3 August 2010

I very much enjoyed my stay at the Atlantic Beach Hotel -- it was clean and comfortable, and it's a shame that it gets so many negative reviews. Perhaps I can clear a few things up.

This IS a gay-friendly hotel. The crowd is a comfortable mix of gay and straight people, and the service is fine regardless of sex and gender. Homophobes, stay away, please. As for the comments accusing the staff of bias, I can only assume it has something to do with the fact that there are a lot of gay prostitutes who hang around the hotel, trying to get invited in, and frankly, I wouldn't want to let them in, either.

This IS a no frills, budget hotel, and it's a good deal. At this price, if you expect luxury you're setting yourself up for disappointment. I was happy with my room, though the shower dripped and the A/C was a bit too cold (I just opened the window to let some warm air in). The view from my window was worth way more than I paid. In the future, if I go for a romantic vacation, I'll probably stay somewhere nicer and more expensive, but for a quick, cheap weekend on the beach, this is the perfect hotel.

The location, on Condado beach, is within a popular tourist area with lots of hotels and restaurants. Oh, and it's ON THE BEACH. Sure, it's on a side street rather than the main road, but it's not exactly off the beaten path and it's not a particularly dangerous area. As I mentioned above, there are some shady characters who hang out outside the hotel, but if you don't mess with them, they don't mess with you.

One thing I really loved about this hotel is the bar. The bartenders are super friendly and the beach view is outstanding. It's a really great place to just sit and chat and have a drink without having to get all dressed up and pay a cover. Also, the hotel provides beach chairs and umbrellas to guests, which makes a perfect spot for drinking pina coladas and enjoying the eye candy.

I recommend this hotel to anyone with an open mind who wants to visit San Juan on a budget. It's a great deal, and I had a great stay.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank vero600
Reviewed 31 July 2010

I just finished a week's stay at the Atlantic Beach Hotel with a friend and by the last day we couldn't wait to get out of there!! We had booked this place for the following reasons: #1: it's advertised as a "gay-friendly" hotel in many sites and gay travel publications, #2: the llocation, right in the center of Condado, #3: the price. To be as objective and real as I can be, I will list the good first: 1. Location: its true, it is righ in fron of what's considered the "gay beach" and at the center of all restaurants and shops, but then again, so are the other hotels AND you can still come to the gay beach for free because beaches are all public here. 2. Price: when you are on a budget and not a "picky" traveler, all you want is a clean place to sleep and bathe. By the look of the tiles in the bathroom and the furniture in the room you can tell they have done some remodeling. The BAD: where do I even begin?? 1. The staff: when we checked in, no explanation was given to us of what was around or nearby. Also there is one guy we named the "hotel nazi" because he keeps an eye on your every move; VERY uncomfortable. Yes, I know I'm gay, I don't need you to keep staring at me like I'm going to start an orgy or something. 2. The rest of the hotel is in serious need of a remodel: the bar is rund down, the elevator seems like it's about to give any minute (very scary!), and the front deskreminds me of a disorganized private investigator's desk from a bad 80's police show: paperwork pinned on boards and stacked all over. There's also a lingering smell of damp rags in that area. I know we are near the beach and all, but really? This is my first impression? 3. BED BUGS!! Every morning i'd wake up with itchy tiny rashes which I thought were due to mosquitoes. Then it ocurred to me to look at my sheets one day, and sure enough, there they were!! Yuck!! Do I needto go on?? 4. Heavy Atmosphere. I've stayed at plenty budget hotels before where I have felt like I've stayed at a 5 star resort because of the friendliness of the staff. Here I felt like I was in a dorm where my every move had to be analyzed in case I became a sex-crazed, out-of-control gay man! Seriously?? Even the locals would agree this is NOT the place to stay if you are a gay client simply because its in front of the gay beach or it has a "gay-friendly" bar. I learned my lesson. Next time I will spend a few more dollars and stay somewhere else!! In the mean time, I'm putting the word out there. If you are gay, STAY AWAY!! Use the gay beach during the day if you'd like, but then go to a nicer place to sleep at night where you are not treated like a prisoner!!

1  Thank Bruin98