“The Best Hotel in Old San Juan--Hands Down!”
Review of Hotel Milano

Hotel Milano
Ranked #34 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 3 September 2013

For seven years, I have been staying in Old San Juan. After testing out almost every hotel, I have stayed exclusively at the Hotel Milano the past 6 years or so. It is EXCELLENT, especially for such a great price. In fact, due to my work, I have brought dozens of guests to join me in Puerto Rico, and all of them have stayed at the Hotel Milano. In every case, they too, have had an excellent experience.

The rooms are clean, and include a refrigerator, microwave, TV with cable channels, and cold air conditioning. There is free wi-fi on every floor, and a rooftop breakfast each morning. Additionally, the staff is professional, friendly, and always willing to accommodate. In fact, Juan, the owner, and his crew have always gone out of their way to ensure special needs are met for me and my groups. It is clear that they have one goal in mind--doing everything possible to make you happy, no matter how unusual your requests may be!

The central location of Milano is absolutely perfect to quickly reach any part of Old San Juan on foot. And, if you're a late-nighter like me, you'll love having numerous bars next door, and Pizza Rustica serving delicious food till midnight or 2am (depending on the day of the week).

Milano is the best value in Old San Juan. Even all the locals know--when you visit Old San Juan, Milano is THE place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 31 August 2013

I understand that I checked into a 2 star hotel but I was still surprised by the room we were given. The hotel had a low occupancy at the time and there was only one other couple on our floor but we were still given what I would assume is the worst room in the house. The room was roughly 10'x8' and most of the space was taken up by the full sized bed. To top it off, the room didn't have any windows so it felt like sleeping in a closet. The bathroom was small as well with a single corner shower stall. The room also doesn't have room to put your luggage so we put them in the small bistro table only to find all of our clothes soaking wet the next morning due to the dripping AC unit. Look at all the other user pictures because you could end up in this closet as well!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kate B
juansan, Owner at Hotel Milano, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Dear guest, we appreciate your words and we just like to let you know that the room you choosed to reserve is small but also very economic and those are the fastest to go, and nobody ever complained about its size ( it is small but no as a closet for sure) because the price, again we appreciate you took your time to review us, thank you, Juan.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

The lobby had no air conditioning and was very humid my glasses would steam when leaving the room the room air was too cold and not adjustable we would have to wake periodically to turn off and on.
Only 4 channels worth watching
Tbs, weather, world news, and something like discovery played gold rush constantly which I liked but too much.
Elevator clunked and seemed scary
The drain stop didn't function so was unable to fill tub for a bath

Now the good:
They room was clean the staff are friendly and accommodating the lobby had museum like furniture and decor and best part was the location 4 blocks to anywhere downtown
I gambled with Hotwire and won the mystery hotel rate of 70 $ a night but would never pay the full price if 134 $ to 174 $ with all those mechanical defects
In spite of the maladies I liked this hotel very much
Just wanted to let you in on what to expect... : )

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 13 August 2013

My family only stayed 1 night here as we were leaving out on a cruise. The staff was tremendous, offering advice on what to do and the best way to get there. Extremely friendly and helpful. Special kudos to the gentleman setting up the breakfast buffet. Only negatives we can find are low water pressure (on the top floor) and our taxi driver drove past it. We will definitely come back to San Juan and will DEFINITELY make this hotel our first choice.

Room Tip: 4th floor is the quietest
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank BAN89
Reviewed 13 August 2013

First time to Old San Juan. The location is very good however the noise level is not. We stayed for one night prior to our cruise and there was a wedding party that pretty much took over the floor we were on. Say no more, (very noisy) which is to be expected. Also the street music on saturday night might as well of been playing in our room. If you want a good sleep this is not the place to stay. Did not find the front desk people very friendly. The rooms are very average. But like most people we aren't there for the room other than a good sleep. Will not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2013

This was the third time I've been to Puerto Rico but only the second time I stayed at the Hotel Milano. The first time I visited, I stayed at one of the fancier (and more expensive) hotels in Old San Juan but have since abandoned them. With all the things to see there's no need to spend the extra money for amenities you wont enjoy in a hotel room you wont be in. Hotel Milano is great value.

Room Tip: Don't get a room without a window.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Awesome location...can walk to everything in Old San Juan. Our room was okay. The shower was kind of dirty. When I opened the door I got black stuff all over my hands. The bed was uncomfortable. We were only in the room to sleep, so we didn't mind it as much. No bugs and the common areas were clean.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple