“First Time Visiting”

Hotel Milano
Ranked #35 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 13 November 2013

First Time Visiting

I stayed in the Hotel Milano this last weekend Saturday 9-10 of September 2013 I have to say that I have no complaints; the room was very clean and comfortable. The receptionist was very friendly and very informative; I had a good night sleep and an appropriated continental breakfast.

The only negative thing I have to mention is the ongoing construction that has been occurring at front of the hotel, by the way, when finished it will have a very nice entrance and a wide sidewalk. I talked with one of the workers about the construction and he told me that it will be finished soon on this current month or earlier next month.

I had to pull my luggage no more than 100 feet to take a taxi and I was not harmed or disturbed to do so. I chose this hotel for the great location it has and for the recommendations I have found on the internet and I have to say that I’m happy for choosing this hotel and it will be my first choice when I decide to return to San Juan on December of this year.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Arnold212
There are newer reviews for Hotel Milano

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I was there November 1st, the taxi had to drop me half a block away because the road was closed due to construction. In addition the sidewalk is completely torn up. We had to roll our bags over dirt over a small wooden ramp to reach the hotel. We found the room to be very worn and outdated. Despite the knobs being broken off the air conditioner, I managed to get it on and just had to guess how cold I was setting it. The bed was comfortable and I managed to get a good nights sleep. When leaving they called a taxi and I had the same walk to the taxi. When leaving I observed a small lady really struggling with her luggage and receiving no help from the hotel. When asked i was informed the road would be under construction for another five months or so. I didn't eat at the hotel due to earlier comments before I left. The hotel is centrally located but not worth the trouble to get there during the construction. This was the superior room I stayed at.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
juansan, Owner at Hotel Milano, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Dear Lady sorry to hear you had so much trouble but the sidewalk to the hotel is finished already and the distance to walk from the corner to the hotel is just about 50 feet which is much les than what takes in airports to get to the desk area also the road work takes just two more weeks to finish no 5 months as you said, we are happy you found our rooms confortable and hope to have you here again next time you are in Puerto Rico.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

For those planing to fine a place prior to a cruise, place to consider. We did have walk a bit as road still under construction. Would recomend maybe a room to the back. Had a room up front and could hear the band and music from the pub a few doors down. It was not to bad at time though if you turned the air off it was more noticeable. Tv is 14" and has 3 channels but again you here to sleep..if you have kids no pool and a fair distance from a beach. no bar on site. I would plan stay here agian. Though a pool might be something to think about.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank yogo79
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We chose The Milano again as we had a great experience the first time around. However, we weren't so lucky this time. When we arrived at the hotel, we were dropped off a block away as the road in front of the hotel was being resurfaced. I realize it's not the hotel's fault but I feel we should have been notified. One person in our party has mobility issues and this was a problem. We were greeted warmly and offered help with our luggage to our room. The room, like last time, was clean but basic, which is all we ask for. Breakfast was adequate and a deal at $5.00. My issue is with the employee working at reception the morning we were leaving. He was rude and practically ignored me as I was asking him to check out before breakfast. He refused to do it and said they check out after breakfast. When I returned to check out afterwards he ignored me until I finally spoke up even though he could clearly see me. The computer located in the lobby for guest use wasn't working and when I asked him to help me, I was given a look of exasperation and a loud sigh...he toyed with it for a minute and then mumbled something in Spanish and walked away. Only when I asked his name did he begin to treat me with slight kindness.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back if you need a quiet room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank CanadaDeb
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We stayed at Hotel Milano for two nights at the end of September (Hurricane season) before our cruise from Old San Juan because of (1) its easy walking to attractions, free trolley and the port, also (2) its better cancellation policy (72hrs) compared to SJ Suite (much cheaper but at least 1 day will be charged) and (3) having an elevator compared to Casa Blanca. The free breakfast included by Orbitz (typically charged a bit over $5 pp/pd) helps the budget.

The stand queen room on 2nd floor has small high windows looking out to walls but is very quite. The room appears smaller than the picture than but is sufficient for our need.

There is a small refrigerator in room and we later find out the bottled water within is free.

There is no safe in room but a sign on the door directs guest to the front desk where they have the safe box (like in the bank safe) available for use.

A/C works well. We did asked for the 1 of only 2 remote control upon checking in (as suggested by others) and find the preset temperature is comfortable and returned the remote the following morning.

The cost for the simple breakfast (toast, some pastry, cereal, fruit, juice, coffee, etc) makes it not as attractive.

It will be helpful to have some tower bars or something allowing to hang clothes that we washed after walking in the very hot and humid environment.

Location is very convenient that we can easily walk to many attractions, free trolley, restaurants, and the port. When it gets too uncomfortable, we will just come back to relax.

The front door is locked at midnight and the front desk is always manned.

They let us to store luggage (chained and tagged) after return from the cruise during our final exploring of the old town.

Everyone at the hotel is extremely friendly, from the front desk to the breakfast restaurant. The mood is laid back.

One final note, a good portion of the Fortaleza Street is currently under construction that you can only be dropped of at the side streets, and the street side room may be noisy due to construction activities.

Room Tip: Away from the street
1  Thank shuyak1
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My husband and I chose to go back to Hotel Milano for his birthday ….. There is something about the hotel that makes you feel at home…. Everything is laid back, the rooms are very clean , the staff are incredibly amazing; they were always so attentive and helpful especially when it came to restaurant choices and sites to visit.

The Hotel Milan location is perfect, we love that you can walk out of the door and experience Old San Juan and walk back in to the hotel and feel like you are at home All this at an affordable price…. We will be back!

3  Thank Wrightel
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Close to restaurants, bars, shopping and the cruise port. Do opt for a room with real windows as some rooms only have tiny slits of glass. Avoid the street side rooms if you want to sleep as the bar across the street is extremely noisy until the wee hours of the morning. The Brickhaus around the corner had great food, reasonably priced and was open late night.

Room Tip: Avoid the street side
1  Thank catravlerChico_ca