“Dumpy Hotel”
Review of Hotel Milano

Hotel Milano
Ranked #33 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 21 March 2014

This is not a good choice for your stay in Old San Juan. It is simply a dumpy old building. There is FILTHY carpeting in the hallways and in our hotel room. I would not walk around my room with bare feet. GET NEW
CARPET!!!
Two positives: the staff was very nice and helpful and it's in a wonderful location.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
juansan, Owner at Hotel Milano, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

You are using harsh words for us but just like to let you know that we started to change all the rugs last week and soon will be finished thank you for your concern and hope to have you next year wiyh us again.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

It was nice, we had perfect view but do need to upgrade just a bit. We arrived very early and were informed our room would not be ready until check in at 3:00. We were allowed to leave our luggage there and happened to stop by at 1:30 and our room was available which was a blessing!

Reviewed 17 March 2014

We had booked a different hotel just down the street. I had made a mistake on the date so we ended up staying here. The desk staff was reasonably friendly upon check-in. The bell boy was very good, friendly and helpful. I would consider this room below average for the price we paid. The room was bright, (lots of windows). The paint was peeling off the walls in the bedroom and the bathroom. There was a grill over the bathtub in the ceiling. It was very rusty and part of the vanity was actually falling off. The bathtub needs to be replaced as the bottom is very worn. We were very tired so the music that you can hear every night from the club down below didn't really bother us. If you are a light sleeper it might. Good Points: They have a computer and printer in the lobby. Great to check-in and print your boarding pass with. Location is excellent. If this hotel was refurbished it could be worth what they charge per night.

2  Thank Traveler1775
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Although temporarely difficult to access with taxi due to street intersection being reconstructed, it is the best affordable and well centered to visit the Old San Juan. Personnel was helpfull with luggage, very helpfull with suggestions where to go and what to do in town, even provide discount coupons for restaurants and shopping. Top restaurant now opened only for breakfeast due to awaiting a full permit to operate restaurant. Magnificient view from top of the hotel restaurant. Hotel and rooms very clean. TV not working but we did not mind. We shall definitely go back to San Juan and stay there again.

Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Great location in Old Town, but hard to get to with luggage. Due to the fact, street construction has closed the street in front of and near the hotel, making it accessible by foot only. I was also disappointed the roof terrance restaurant was not operating for lunch and dinner and was open daily, for only a limited continental breakfast only.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Being a business traveler for the last 15 years, I've become kind of used to having certain amenities present during a hotel stay. This happens because, on most of my trips (especially when the stay is prolonged) the room becomes a "home away from home" kind of place where you just den up to rest or work...

However, since this was a quick escapade with the Missus (on occasion of her "last thirty-something birthday", as she told her co-workers), and the location is one that demands exploring (Old San Juan), I decided I would spend the money on food and fun and skimp a bit on the hotel budget, since it would be little more than a "crashing pad".

I was surprised to see this little hotel rank up so high here in TA, so after weighing some other trendier, pricier options, I decided to go for it. I'm glad I did...

Since I liked the place, I feel bad having to open with bad new, but It has to do more with San Juan than with the hotel itself. No parking. However the 24hrs parking that is nearby will only set you back $8 for 16 hours, so that kind of makes up for having to park a block away and having to haul luggage.

This is a small, I'm pretty sure privately-owned, place. When you walk in, the decor makes the hotel look like it was frozen in the 80s. It's modest, but you can see a lot of pride goes into its operation and upkeep. First of all, the place is as clean as a whistle. I have seen many big chain hotels slip up on bathroom and public space cleanliness, but these people shine. Carpets were clean - I saw no spots. Everything that was painted had a recent coat of paint to it. No chipping or peeling anywhere I could see.

Check in is simple. None of that computerized wait you get at the big places. Also, the key system may appear crude, but it just works, so I love it. TV connection is the worst I've seen in any hotel anywhere I've been. Also, the AC in our room was quite overspec'd, which kind of dried the air up too much. However the room layout makes sense and the controls for everything are simple and easy to figure out.

Now, I HAVE to say this: if you own a hotel, at least make sure all the mattresses are still usable. I hate sleeping in spring traps, and this mattress seemed to have been brought in at the same time as the 80s motifs surrounding it.

Old San Juan has to be roamed to be experienced, and this place has an unbeatable location - next to almost all of the important local eating and clubbing hotspots (except for those on SanSe): Dragonfly, Aqua Viva, Parrot Club, Tantra, Siglo XX, etc. Also quite close to most important sights: Plaza de Armas, La Fortaleza, Paseo de la Princesa, Capilla del Cristo, etc.

I would go back.

2  Thank CarlosAnglada
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

They say location is everything so this hotel definitely has that going for it, but if you're looking for luxury then it's not the place for you. My sister and I spent two nights and here are the main complaints: no TV working; ice machine only worked one day and the street was closed for repairs so we had to trek our luggage down the street to the doña Fela parking lot. But that wasn't the hotel's fault. The room was clean and they give you free breakfast on the rooftop that has a nice view. Good place to stay for the price. Close to everything in the old city.

Stayed: March 2014