“Service makes a difference”

Howard Johnson Centro Cardiovascular San Juan
Ranked #42 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
caracas
“Service makes a difference”
Reviewed 15 January 2011

If you are planning to spend some days in Puerto Rico and are in a tight budget, this hotel is a great choice. However, you must know, this is not a regular hotel, it is located within a medical facility, because it is intended to be a hotel for patients who travel a long distance to receive medical care in the cardiovascular center in San Juan.
For this reason, there is no swimming pool, nor other amenities.
We didnt know this and were thinking of moving out after the first night, but after knowing the Hotel Manager and his team, we were very pleased. The service is great and they really do their best for making guests feel at home.
The people at the hotel were very helpful and friendly, and provided us with a lot of tourist information which really helped us to get the most out of our stay and finding a couple of great deals in shopping here and there.
However, if you have a bigger budget and want a more resort/beachclub like experience, this is not recommended for you, this is a great option for a business trip.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank carlitosangulo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Florida
Reviewed 1 December 2010

I had the pleasure of staying at the Howard Johnson Centro Medico in San Juan. The hotel was everything we needed. I had a family member that was in an accident so we needed to be near the hospital. The hotel is located inside of the cardiac hospital on the 4th floor. This may not be ideal for vacationers but if you need to be near the hospital it’s perfect. I would still stay at this hotel even on a vacation because the rates are good compared to other hotels in San Juan. The hotel is easily accessible as you can take mass transit or cab to Old San Juan near the port (mass transit is much cheaper) Less than five minutes away is a major mall with restaurants and a movie theater. There is a cafeteria on the first floor and the food is mostly good. A short walk away in the center of several hospitals is an Estrella (Spanish food), Burger King, Churches Chicken and a Subway. If I hadn’t stayed here I would be skeptical but since I did I know that the rooms are clean and the staff is courteous. They go out of their way to make a difference in your stay. Upon arrival the manager gave us directions to get around. They offered to get ice for me since it’s on a separate floor in the hospital but I was fine getting it. My mother didn’t realize that when her medications were picked up at the drug store prior to her departure to Puerto Rico that she didn’t get one medication filled that she needed. Glory a staff member called the local CVS explained everything so they could have the prescription transferred over from the CVS where we live. This is just one of the many things that the manager Mr. Gonzalez and his staff did for us. The staff made a bad situation a lot better. We ended up staying about 3 weeks. If you are looking for a safe, clean place with a great staff this is it.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank NYCFlorida
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 30 August 2010

Thanks for making our family health challenge a more easeful experience. We traveled from a far town in the island and were able to conveniently stay throughout the surgery process. The concierge (Dagoberto) was kind, helpful and patient with our needs. I will let everyone know about this totally convenient and excellent service.

• Stayed August 2010
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 27 August 2010

After reviewing many options, I selected to stay at this hotel because it was the cheapest in the area and seemed of good quality. I figured I wouldn't be in the room that much so what does it matter? For starters, it's located on the 4th floor of an unmarked building on a huge college-like campus. I arrived on a Friday afternoon right at rush hour and there were lots of medical staff in white coats and students leaving all at once, which created a huge traffic jam. Secondly, no one seems to know where the hotel is. The guy at the rental place told me there's no Howard Johnson in this area when I asked him. When I finally found my way to the campus, I had to pull over and ask a security guard who was directing traffic. He didn't speak English. I parked illegally and ran inside a building to ask someone. I found a woman who spoke English. She pointed to a door and said take the elevator up. No one could tell me where to park the car! I drove around and found the visitor garage where you have to pay. This is a good 8-10 minute walk from the building the hotel is in so I wheeled my luggage from my rental in the garage along the sidewalk while dodging medical students and cars. Mind you, it was 86 degrees and humid and I hadn't had a chance to change since I got off the plane. I was still wearing jeans and a long sleeve shirt.

I went through the door that was pointed out to me and took the elevator up to the 4th floor. Finally! I found it. The elevator opens right up onto the front desk. I checked in and asked about parking. The free hotel parking that is advertised on various websites amounts to 6 spaces. That's right, SIX! Even better is the fact that they're located just outside the building and in the back where the maintenance workers and hotel staff park... on a downward slope... in single file. You must be good at parallel parking or else it's the visitor's garage for you! Keep in mind that family members who are visiting relatives in the hospital and are staying at this hotel are competing for these spaces as well. Parking was rarely available throughout my weeklong stay.

Another afternoon I was heading back up to my room after a nice day out and the elevator stopped on the 2nd floor. A patient on a gurney was wheeled in with a couple of doctors, which was uncomfortable for the both of us I'm sure. It only served as a reminder that I'm staying at a hospital hotel.

I took a cab into San Juan a few times because drivers in Puerto Rico are ridiculous and I was tired of having to search for parking after every outing. Be prepared to tell cab drivers where this place is because they won't have a clue. The drivers were always surprised when I told them there was a hotel here and once on campus, I had to direct them where to drop me off.

Lastly, the campus is surrounded by one of the worst GHETTOS I've ever seen. I ventured about 50 feet outside of an entrance and didn't feel comfortable going any further. There's a lot of construction going on, graffiti, bums, trash, beggars, etc. I did feel safe within the campus area.

The rooms were OK. Pretty basic and to use the Internet you either have to sit in one of the chairs next to the reception desk for wireless or request an ethernet cable so you can use it in your room. To the staff's credit, they were nice. It was depressing having to return to this place after a nice day out. I was about the only tourist staying at this place and I kept wondering if the hotel staff thought I was crazy for staying here because it's usually booked with Puerto Ricans visiting the hospital. I would not recommend it and recommend staying anywhere else.

STAY AWAY!!!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank JHunter26

Travellers are raving about these San Juan hotels

Corvallis, OR
Reviewed 5 June 2010

If you're in San Juan doing business or shopping downtown, or with the hospital or university and don't need or want to be near the beaches, then this hotel is a great choice. It's very affordable, clean, quiet and comfortable. It is located on the fourth floor of a hospital, but it has a separate entrance and the hospital is quiet. I heard very few ambulances outside and no noise inside. One nice thing about being in a hospital is that there is unlimited hot water which is great for someone like me who likes to take long showers. You should have a car or someone to give you rides as it is away from public transit and there is a lot of construction going on in the surrounding area, making for rather awkward walking.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank veganjohn
new york
Reviewed 24 March 2010

First off, know that we are not frequent OR picky travelers. We like things clean and simple. Now, DO NOT stay here unless you HAVE to. I'm not sure it's clear from the ad because it's so unbelievable but this "hotel" is literally on the 4th floor of a working hospital. Read that again. It's not a converted hospital, not a revamped hospital, an actual functioning hospital. The lobby is a junky hospital lobby, the elevators are junky hospital elevators (the main one wasn't working when we were there), and the decor is, well...hospital...use your imagination. The room is more or less clean, other than various hairs all over the place, but, you guessed it, is smells like a hospital! The big attractions - hi speed internet in each room - is a farce (it works with an ethernet cable, so they say, but they didn't have any). And HERE'S THE WORST PART - it's located in a part of town where there is nothing to eat, other than the HOSPITAL cafeteria - and it's a $20 cab ride to Old San Juan. So, at $114/night with taxes (for a 2-person room), plus the $20 cab ride each way you'll need to get fed, I think you can do better. Stay only if it your last, last, last resort.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2010

Part of a Medical Center, 20 min. from the airport and 20 min. to Cruise Port. Room was not that cleaned. Needed a paint job and the air trap was very dirty. Very surprising considering that it's part of an Hospital ! Look at the picture...

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple