“Dont go there!”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Dont go there!”
Reviewed 7 July 2012

we bought a cupon to eat there. we tried to go for dinner, but everytime we went there was an excuse on the food that was on the cupon. finally they told us that the chef was injured and they will be close without a open date! we need to call the cupon company for a refund.

1 Thank gabypi

“Not fresh”
Reviewed 27 May 2012 via mobile

I ordered a vegetarian paella when I visited the restaurant. It was horrible. The plate had more grease than rice. No flavor. The server is very nice though.

San Jose, California
“disappointing”
Reviewed 16 June 2011

While visiting San Juan, we wanted a special place for my husband's birthday...and thought Pura Vida would be it-it wasn't. The pumpkin soup was good. I had to send back my entree...way too salty. Then the next (different choice) entree was really bland. I don't think they have it together here. I enjoyed Cafe Berlin and Veggie Fruity way more. the waiter, Manny and the pina colada he made was the best thing about the restaurant!

• Visited June 2011
2 Thank IslandgirlB
puerto rico
“Teeny portions of overpriced bland food and they were out of Tofu!”
Reviewed 29 April 2011

Honestly i was so dissappointed with this place I feel compelled to comment so others know what to expect. Can you say slower then slow service, teeny weeny portions and after close to an hour wait our table of 6 most of us vegetarians were informed they had no tofu tonight. We ordered a tastelss pumpkin soup, the Pura Vida $7 dollar salad which was small amounticeberg lettuce and some red cabbage with shredded carrot, Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms with rosottto for $20 which, I kid you not, was ONE portabella top, a small one at that, on top of porrly cooked cous-cous with hardened -once was melted- cheese.
Our table came to over $150 and was an absolute and total rip off.

• Visited April 2011
2 Thank KayakerPuertoRico
Baltimore, MD
“Don't waste your time”
Reviewed 23 March 2011

My family and I ate here on our last night in San Juan. We were so excited about the idea, but ended up being very disappointed. Some of the issues, I'm sure, were due to communication problems. When we called for a reservation we were told there were none available for that night. My husband called a bit later and was told that yes, we could make a reservation. We assumed that someone had canceled, but when we arrived, we were the only people there. During the entire meal only two other tables were seated. We ordered three appetizers and two entrees, and asked several times that they be served all at once so we could share. The waiter always said, "of course," but then served everything separately anyway. Also, we got an appetizer we had not even ordered.

The food itself was disappointing. The only thing we all enjoyed were the springrolls. They were crisp and tasty and the sauce was good. The veggie tempura was mostly sad broccoli and it was very dark, almost over fried, and heavy. The vegetable crostini consisted of some sort of salad with creamy dressing piled on bread. We did not request, but got anyway, the tuno cakes, which were fried balls with some sort of white paste inside. No flavor, although the breading was crunchy and they were fried nicely. The two appetizers we really wanted - portobello kebabs on grilled polenta and pita pizzas were not available.

Our entrees were the Pan seared tofu steak in a soy & ginger sauce and the veggie paella. Of the two, the paella was the better. It was crunchy on the bottom, but very oily. I had quite a puddle of oil on my plate. The tofu was hardly seared - just sort of white on a white plate with a triangle-shaped mound of white rice. In general, we found the food to be too sweat, the tofu in particular.

We ended up stopping at the Super Max on the way home for junk food to eat back at the condo.

• Visited March 2011