“Excellent in every way!”

Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton
Ranked #26 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 26 July 2011

The staff was so accomadating, yet allowed us privacy. The room was perfect. Please take advantage of the breakfast. I don't usually eat a big breakfast, but this was so worth it! Juan personally cooks omletes & he remembers & treats each guest as if they were the only one present! Unbelieveable!! The pastries, fresh fruits, countless choices and again, the staff! They all make you feel at home! The beach was perfect, the activities were endless and the on-site resturants were delicious. Don't miss The Lemongrass! Tours were easily arranged. Walking to Old San Juan was beautiful. This was by far the most relaxing, fun and "in our own world" vacation. Great hotel, staff. location. Again a big shoutout to Juan! :)

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HoneyDew1203

Reviewed 29 June 2011

Our stay in the Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton was researched and planned well in advance. And we specifically chose the Villas for the precise reason that they were described as being separated from the main hotel. It was very nice...almost like your own private apartment. In fact, we understand that the Villas are timeshare-type condos which makes sense. It's just a short walk to the hustle and bustle of the main property, we had our own reception desk and staff, pool area, etc. Our room had nice view of lagoon and partial ocean. And we even walked once from Old San Juan back to hotel which was good exercise and took under a half hour. Our personable front desk staff were extremely helpful with dining suggestions, reservations, transportation, great shopping tips...and the list goes on. We would definitely return!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank eelSeattle
Reviewed 9 May 2011

We spent 4 days here before Mothers Day. It is a great hotel, great pool area, great inner garden,and yes the property is large. We loved the Pina Colada Club, the staff there is absolutely the Best. Sasha and Nelson are five star all the way. Eric at the concierge desk was the best that I have met in years, and that is saying a lot as I was a concierge at a beach resort.
During our stay, the hotel was at or close to 100% full, but never felt crowded. Maybe we just started out too early and got back too late to notice.
Our room had an overpowering odor problem, which we brought to the front desk staff every day. On the final evening, the offered to move us to a new room, but as we were leaving the next morning, we declined. The solution to the odor problem was to spray the room and turn the A/C down to freezing. Even though we complained on a daily basis, no one from management ever contacted us. Not a good customer service move.
All in all, an excellent property, great front line employees, and a good location. If you are in shape, you can walk anywhere that is worth seeing.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2011

We stayed for a 6 nights post Christmas, including New Year. I agree with other reviewers that the definition of a sea view may not be what is expected. I complained that our view was not a sea view - the staff explained the hotel's definition of a sea view, (different to mine that is for sure!), but did move us to another room which had what I would call a sea view! We travelled with 2 children (6&8). The room was a little cramped for 4, but the beds were very comfortable and the bathroom good. Fridge and microwave were handy.
We never had a problem with walking around the place - we enjoyed the spaciousness of the hotel and grounds. The kids loved the birds and we enjoyed the beach, hammocks, chairs and pools and hired some beach equipment. The fish feeding is a must for children, we all enjoyed it.
Breakfasts were a highlight - there was something for even the fussiest child to enjoy! We never felt like lunch after such a good breakfast. I'd recommend a bed & breakfast deal.
Our major issue though was the children's club (or lack of it). We picked this hotel because it boasted a children's club where children could do various activities and even have lunch. When we arrived it was not operating, a big disappointment as I had phoned before making the reservation to check the details of the childrens club. When we complained we were finally offered a deal where they would get "someone" to look after our children for the day, but it didn't sound much fun for the kids as we did not feel reassured that the person would be "kid friendly"! We did not take up the offer. So if you are looking for a kids club - be careful...
Apart from that we enjoyed our stay. The list of things to do with kids that the hotel provides is helpful (but may be a bit out of date). Go to the Children's museum in Old San Juan - it is absolutely brilliant a great outing for children.

Room Tip: Be very specific about what you call a sea view!
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank SBNP
Reviewed 29 April 2011

I spent a week at this hotel during spring break when it was really crowded, yet there was no problem for me to secure a lovely beach chair and umbrella delivery free of charge every day. I thought the grounds were very lovely and spacious enough to walk a few laps enjoying the gorgeous landscaping, evening lighting and pretty pools. There was piped in music only in one area which was also quite nice as you could enjoy it if you wanted but also have quiet time. The thing I thought was best about this resort was that the pool bar was NOT the main feature, and the lobby bar didn't open untill late afternoon/early evening. Sure plenty of drinking is possible and was going on, but I never say any cups littering the grounds or pool area ever, and with the pool bar being set off to the side a bit, the heavy drinkers were not a detraction for the fine surroundings. The beach side food variety could have been a bit greater for my tastes, but I did like the wine selection available at the lobby bar, complete with a combo band on a few of the evenings. I had a couple of different rooms in the villas. They are a bit of a hike to the main section of the resort, but all through a lovely garden and with an additional and less crowded hot tub and pool for villa guests only. I really enjoyed the city/lagoon view from my rooms, one of which had a full size and stocked kitchen in it which was very, very nice for me. Another room, a large suite was even nicer in many ways, but I missed the stove. The breakfast service in the restaurant was very lovely and very crowded so the kitchen was nice. Service at this hotel is outstanding. Everyone met my needs in every way, promptly and occasionally exceeded my expectations. Some of the male employees were a bit over friendly to me, a solo woman traveller, but no one ever crossed the line into unprofessional behavior. The gym was super great for bodybuilding or cardio except that oddly there was no nice changing area, just a bathroom without even so much as a counter to set your purse on. You can pay a fee to use the spa locker room, but I was disappointed with that as most of the light bulbs were burned out and towels were no where to be seen. The massage I had was normal, nothing outstanding, the masseur very attractive! Really I had a great time at this resort and I will be going back next time I just want to crash out in the sun, hear the roar of the waves. As for the waves, there was good swimming area with a diving raft and then a non-swimming area where you could enjoy the crashing waves and awesome view.

Room Tip: All rooms I saw looked pretty nice
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 April 2011

I had read a lot of the negative reviews on TA prior to our departure, so I admit when we walked into our ocean view villa that had a view of the bridge I was upset I hadn't heeded the warnings of the prior guests that posted their experiences. The room ( a 2 bedded queen) is small and quite tight. We already had flight mishaps in our arrival to PR, so was seriously disappointed to find a small room with no view. Initially we complained to the desk in the villas, there was nothing they could do about a room change until possibly
the next day. Feeling rather bummed about everything, my husband had the idea to use the desk within the actual main hotel and miraculously they were able to find us a room on the very same floor with a large balcony and a fabulous view. Not sure why the main desk in the Villas was not able to make that switch for us, but I will say from tha moment on our trip was looking up. The room was clean, the bedding comfortable, and plenty of fresh towels. I had read that the Villas are out of the way and that it is far to walk to main hotel; please know this hotel complex is large, no matter where you stay there is lots of walking. Walking doesn't bother me, so we were fine with it. The pool area at the main hotel is gorgeous and the Caribe Hilton is the only Condado hotel that has any beach area. In PR, all the beaches are public and it is not allowed to have private beach property, the Caribe was a pioneer hotelier in PR in the 1960's, so they were at the time allowed to build a manmade beach and lagoon area. the beach area is small, but will suffice your need to get your toes in the sand,and the lagoon area is a nice safe swim haven for people of all ages. Food at the Caribe,fair at best, the drinks are pricy but we expect that at a resort. We found the best food to be in Old SanJuan, taxi fare to the old city is an outrageous $12 a pop, so share a cab if you can. The Caribe is also the closest hotel in proximity to Old San Juan, about 2 miles, so if you are fit and enjoy a walk to burn off some of those piña colada calories walking is an option, just pack a bottle of ter for the trip. We actually walked in twice during our one week stay. We found PR to not be the cleanest, street garbage seems to be a problem there, and there is also an obvious homelessness problem. We were surprised to find a few folks sleeping on the sidewalks. PR has great potential to be an Eastern coast oasis, but some may be deterred by littered streets. All that aside, we really enjoyed PR and the wonderful haven at the Caribe Hilton. A beautiful hotel, and after walking into other hotels in the Condado area, we were glad we chose to stay here. No casino, smoke free rooms, and family friendly.

• Stayed: April 2011
LGMarcano, Manager at Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2011

Thank you for sharing your experience in our property. While we are delighted to read your stay was a pleasant one, I am truly sorry we could not attend your request for a room change at the Villas Front Desk. I would appreciate if you could share more details with me in order for us to take corrective action. I can be reach directly calling the Condado Lagoon Villas. We hope to welcome you back to our property in the near future.

Reviewed 3 April 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in March. Had a little problem at check-in-- I booked the room online and asked for an oceanview with a balcony. When we saw the room, it was not what I expected. It was not oceanview and the balcony was about a foot and a half wide-- all you could do was stand on it. We went back to the desk and complained. They told me that it was a "french" balcony. We told them we wanted a balcony you could sit on and a room with a view of the ocean. They made arrangements for us to see a different room. The new room was way better. It had a balcony with patio furniture on it. It also had a full kitchen. We agreed to the new room. The view from the balcony was great! You could see the ocean, the lagoon, and city. I was very pleased with how they handled this problem. I had read several bad reviews about the property but, I found it to be very nice. There is some construction going on but we never heard anything. It is a large property when you include the main hotel so there is walking involved but nothing to complain about. There is also a shuttle to bring you to the main hotel. I am not much for swimming in the ocean but the beach was very nice. No shortage of chairs.

Room Tip: Double check room with hotel
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple