“Very Good Hotel but Pool Bar Staff Needs to Improve”

Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton
Ranked #26 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This is a great family hotel to stay....Great private beach, very nice pool and amenities. The Spa service was nice but I expected better. Also, the pool bar service needs to improve. The bar had 2 bartender working however they split the service depending on which side of the bar you are in...if for any reason the bartender where you are needs to run to get something the bartender that's left does not take your order unless you walk around. I learned that after i was waiting 15 minutes for a drink.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gorki D

Reviewed 25 June 2014

*******Beautiful hotel, great pool, private beach, yummy breakfast buffet, Morton's restaurant located near, and hotel has a Starbucks!!! Location close to old town San Juan and the old forts. We would definitely stay at Caribe Hilton again!!!! ********

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank laraineg2014
LGMarcano, Manager at Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you for staying at the Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton while visiting beautiful Puerto Rico

We are delighted to read your stay was a pleasant one and thank you for taking of your time to share your experience with everyone.

Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you back in the near future.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I had a long-standing reservation, showed up at 2. Had to wait 5 hours for my room--the front desk staff was confused and hopeless. Very defensive--no apologies. Hotel is tired looking--grounds in disrepair, rooms not clean. Bathroom plumbing loose--funny thing is my Dad tried to arrange a meeting here in 1965 and said the same thing.

5  Thank Kathleen C
LGMarcano, Manager at Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you for staying with us and for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet expectations.

We are always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience and I will keep your review in mind as we look towards refresh options.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

The Hotel Staff are very nice. The Hotel is nice as well. The problem is, we stayed next door in the Lagoon Villas, which were touted as Suites. I have stayed in hundreds of Hilton properties around the world, and although the Lagoon Villas are "acceptable", I would not rate them with high marks. The Lagoon Villas are not worth the money!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank OCTraveler1970
LGMarcano, Manager at Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you for your feedback and comments on your recent stay at our property. Sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations for we work hard to deliver a memorable stay. Your comments help us improve and I will share with the staff in order to improve for future visitors.
Thanks again for your time and we hope you gives us another opportunity in thenear future.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Oh Caribe Hilton, you keep breaking my heart. You could be such an amazing hotel and you just. . . aren’t. It makes me want to help you! Literally while I was there I thought about buying bleach to see if I could get the stains out of the tub in the room.

The Lagoon Villas are attached to the Caribe Hilton. This is my 2nd trip there. I have stayed in both. (For conferences, not for vacation.) Below is for the Lagoon Villas II building. They do book this as part of the Caribe Hilton when you call the Caribe, so beware.

WHY I AM NOT A FAN:
1. When I got there, I couldn’t check in until 4 pm. Long time to wait around. They said they would call and let me know when my room was ready, of course they never did. Same experience as last time.
2. Room was promised with ‘ocean view,’ which was instead a bay view, with another part of the hotel obscuring half the view. I even called in advance to make sure that my room would be nice and have a good view, hoping that would help. Nope.
3. Room also was advertised with "balcony," which, while technically there, was only about 12 inches wide and had no patio furniture. You could get a chair out there (a desk chair) but only if you turned it sideways.
4. Room had ants. (thank goodness I brought enough ziplocs to store my snacks in. Never hurts to pack a few extra!)
5. Room lost power one morning—I got up, went into the bathroom, turned on the lights (really, that was all!) and BOOM the circuit breaker tripped. Took 3 phone calls and 90 minutes to get someone to come up and just fix the breaker for me.
6. No ice machine in the whole Lagoon Villas II building, had to go to Lagoon Villas I building next door, where I found 2, one of which was nonfunctional. The functioning one, of course, ran out of ice quite a lot, due to supplying two buildings! I then had to go into a third building to get ice.
7. Noisy. I didn't really sleep well the whole time I was there, despite running a white noise phone app--it wasn't enough to overcome hallway noise, airplane noise from nearby airport, and random weird mechanical and plumbing noises. The plumbing for both me and, sadly, my neighbor, generated a high-pitched whining sound when the water was on that was truly annoying. Not a problem if it was me running the tap, but when my neighbor flushed his toilet in the middle of the night, there would be a sudden high pitched serenade that was a sure waker-upper.
8. Bed has a heavy down duvet and no sheets. Just crazy and impractical--I was sweaty at night even with the A/C on its lowest setting. TIP: I found you could get more comfortable if you removed the comforter from the duvet cover and slept with the empty duvet cover alone.
9. Did not try to order room service, but they warned me that it would take a VERY long time due to Lagoon Villas' distance from main hotel kitchens. So technically they have room service, but. . . .sounds like they get a lot of complaints.

This is what I wrote when I stayed at the Caribe the last time: “So glad to leave. Long wait to check in. Noisy/hard to sleep; dead cockroach in bathroom; stained table and cushions in room; nonfunctioning light; toilet hard to flush” So at least they are consistent. This isn't really a Hilton. I've never stayed at another Hilton that was this consistently problematic. Definitely don't come expecting to have a "Hilton" type stay.

By the way, if you look at the "nonrecommended" reviews for this property, you find a LOT of people who joined TripAdvisor just to put in one review saying how annoyed by this hotel they were. The TripAdvisor software filters that out, but I think it's actually representative of the experience -- it's no wonder people are annoyed enough by this hotel to join a new review service just to share how bothered they were.

The beach and pools are nice. Maybe just don't go in your room at all while you stay here?

5  Thank Onestepforwards
LGMarcano, Manager at Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Thank you for your feedback on your room recent stay at Condado lagoon Villas. I am sorry we could not meet your expectations. I would have like to know about your challenges while in property and had the opportunity to resolve them.

We aim to deliver great service and a memorable experience. Your comments help us understand where we need to improve. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope you give us the opportunity to serve you in the near future.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

nice area but there are no options for other food besides the overpricing food area. The housekeeper keeps knocking at your door before checkout even you have a no disturb sign at the door. not much amenities available unless you have to go to the main hotel.

4  Thank Denny G

Thank you for choosing the Condado Lagoon Villas, as your “home away from home” during your visit to beautiful Puerto Rico.

We appreciate you your feedback with respect to your recent stay in our property, it helps us improve for future visitors.

We thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Arrival was friendly and efficient. We arrived at 10pm and they only had one person checking in so it took awhile but still not too bad.

The room was small for a studio villa. It was also dated and the bathroom had a musty odor. The internet was spotty. The price for parking was not too bad considering you are near San Juan.

The resort was nice and big. They have a couple of pools and a beach area that is protected from big waves so it is child friendly. They provide beach shovels and pails as well as noodles to float. They have peacocks and other animals which the kids loved. Food was good too with many options although pricey but you are at a resort.

Would go back just for pools and beach. Room itself not good.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
LGMarcano, Manager at Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience while at our property. Your comments help us improve our product and service and better understand the needs of our guests.

Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you back in the near future.