“Worst stay ever!! NEVER AGAIN!”

Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton
Ranked #25 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Beverly Hills, California
“Worst stay ever!! NEVER AGAIN!”
Reviewed 3 December 2010

It was the first time in my traveling career that I had to buy rubber gloves and clean my own room. I had to worry about MOLD blowing from a filthy air-vent over my bed and into my lungs while I slept. And it was the first time that I had to sleep with my sliding glass door open to make the smell of the MILDEWY room bearable. During my stay at THE CONDADO LAGOON VILLA at CARIBE HILTON, I discussed all of my concerns with staff from the hotel and nothing was done about it. I asked numerous time to be moved to another part of the hotel... but this simple accommodation was never fulfilled . Even when I noted that I am a HHonors Diamond Member. I included below, a part of the letter that I wrote to the Hilton Diamond Desk:

"After, what seemed to be like pushing through the thick smell, I reached the large sliding glass doors on the other side of the room. I struggled to get it open as fast as I could, at the same time holding my breath. Once opened, I felt like I could breath a bit better. Taking large gasps of the fresh ocean filled air I started to relax. I thought I should go explore the room a bit further. After about 20 seconds, I realized I should document some of the thing that I had found. A bathroom that wasn’t cleaned. Dead flies/ bugs and long hairs located randomly throughout the bathroom (which a simple swipe of a rag would have picked up, if it were done). Mildewy bathroom tiles and mold growing outside of the air vent located next to the bed was just the tip of the iceberg. The worse thing of all was a piece of bathroom tissue laying on the ground next to the toilet (as if someone had just went to the bathroom in a room that I’m now occupying). I felt sick, knowing that I could not do anything about the room. I went down the street bought some Febreeze and cleaning spray and made the room a bit more tolerable. I thought to myself that I would just have to deal with it until I could make arraignments for a different hotel. Two days later all 6 loyal HHonors Diamond members packed up and moved over to the Ritz Carlton to finish out our stay in the San Juan area."

I am writing this post for no other reason than to pass along this information. Before making reservations in this hotel, please consider looking elsewhere first!! I travel for work and spend most of my time on the road... and this was the worst hotel that I have ever stayed in. If you have any questions regarding this stay my email address is: MikeTripAdviserReply@gmail.com

Mike.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank mikereply
LGMarcano, Manager at Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton, responded to this review, 27 January 2011
Thank you for your feedback on you recent visit to our property. We shared your comments with our staff and investigate your comments. I can assure you that your room’s condition is not indicative that all the other 263 rooms are in the same condition. We take pride on our product and work hard to deliver a memorable experience to every guest. We do hope you give us another opportunity to serve you in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
delaware, usa
Reviewed 28 November 2010

Very nice stay in villas which is complete with mini kitchen including ice-maker fridge - the ocean view is actually overlooking the lagoon towards The Conrad hotel also; nice large balcony which is good as I'm a smoker and the hotel is 100% non-smoking; good location if you want to want to walk to Old San Juan (approx 30 mins - depending how you walk could take longer) .. or walk across the bridge which takes 10 mins towards Condado where a lot of the other hotels are with casinos .. we happen to be holiday gamblers so we did this several times - opposite Marriot Stellaris hotel is a nice place called Miro's (after the artist) which is a great place to try the tapas & happy hour drinks specials - frito queso (fried Brie), mussels I liked and the staff are extremely friendly which made for a very nice evening and ambience. I stayed at Rio Del Mar the previous year renting a car and like it for different reasons - (beach is much better there but you are stuck on an umpty acre resort and can't walk anywhere else to get a local flavor so shell out more on taxis) - There are convenient buses running from Old San Juan to Isla Verde for a set price of 75 cents - we saved a lot more this time using buses and taxis as most hotels charge a parking fee of $15 upwards (more if valet) - taxi to airport is $19/21 thereabouts before tip; Hilton to 0ld San Juan $12 for 2 people before tip ..As an aside we went to the Museum de Arte on El Diego one day but weren't that impressed but the restaurant we went to at lunchtime across the street, Bistro de Paris with the pate and French onion soup made the trip all worth while.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Bklyn, NY
Reviewed 24 November 2010

Having stayed a few years ago at the actual Caribe hilton North Tower, I was looking forward to coming back and seeing how the villas stood up to my 1st experience. I was with my sister and her grown daughter and the first thing i noticed is just how far back the room was. Arriving with luggage, i was glad the suitcase had wheels as we went past the main lobby of the hotel itself (villas lobby is set furhter down the lane, past the garage bldg.) past the conference rooms and then up an enclosed bridge that took us over to the villas bldg. The view in the room was very nice as we overlooked the condado lagoon and the san geronimo fort from our small balcony. The upside to the villa room was that it had a small kitchenette with a convection microwave, coffee maker, sink and fridge. the cabinets were empty of any supplies so if you are stocking the fridge, make sure you have plates utensils etc. before you get upstairs. The room itself was a standard hotel room (not even a flat screen tv so the armoire it was in took up space) and while the bathrooms in the north tower were floor to ceiling marble and glass shower enclosures, the villas room was a standard tub shower with curtain rod, one sink and i noticed some of the tile edging were chipped or even layed a bit crooked.
Our last night there, the fire alarms went off at least twice and the announcement came through in spanish but they were never repeated in english which we found surprising. It was a false alarm but we slept in sundresses in case we had to make a run for it. The following day, as we were closing our suitcases to leave, the alarms went off again and this time they were in english and asked visitors to leave the room and so we headed down via stairwell without luggage to the villa lobby. We were told by the guy at the front desk it was a false alarm and we could go back up. No P.A. announcement was done after that. My sister got a good deal on the villa room which is why we went and she knew i had stayed previously and was looking forward to the hotel. Everything else was fine. Staff everywhere was great, but if i go back to stay in the city i will stay in the isla verde section. Oh, lastthing, we took a tour of the spa and i had to keep asking to see the different rooms and we got minimal info on the services. I found the hallways to be too dark to the treatment rooms. locker area for ladies was well light, clean and seemed to have enough space to not feel crowded. There is a hot tub that is shared by men and women off a side door from the locker area. We didn't even get shown the products for sale right between the spa and hair /nail salon and we did walk into the salon area.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 November 2010

I enjoyed my stay at the Condado Lagoon Villas. The room was nice and clean and the beds were very comfortable. I was disappointed with the view though, we booked an ocean view room and though we had a view of the ocean we also had a view of construction and a highway. When we called to complain we were told that what we wanted was ocean front and that this particular hotel does not offer those types of rooms. The hotel was a great value so I quickly got over not having the perfect view. The Lagoon villas allows access to the Caribe Hilton Resort which was nice. There is a beach onsite, the time we were there there was plenty of beach chairs and also hammocks to relax in. They offer free snorkel equipment, beach towels and other things for the beach. Unfortunately we were not able to enjoy the beach because it rained quite a bit while we were there. Apparently November is their rainy season. Though it rained we still managed to enjoy our trip. The hotel is really not close to anything. The restaurants inside are of course pricey and there is only a Subways within walking distance. We took a short $6.00 cab (one way) ride to Old San Juan to eat, shop and sight see. I definitely would recommend this hotel for anyone who is not looking for anything too fancy.

• Stayed November 2010
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 November 2010

My husband and I spent one night at the Condado Lagoon Villas prior to a cruise. We like the Condado area since it is close to many good restaurants.

My husband is a gold member of Hilton and Platinum Premier with Marriott, he travels quite a bit for business.

We were greated promptly by the very pleasant woman at the front desk. We had requested a king room. When we arrived to our room we had two double beds, okay, no big deal, we were overlooking the canal and it was a nice view. Okay, time for bed, pull back the comforter, OOPS, no top sheet, no big deal, check the other bed, none there either. EEK!

Awakened early to some kind of noise, they are scaping paint from our front door. We walk out and they have a HUGE tarp down and are scaping the rooms near us. Come back from breakfast and how they are painting, tip toe through the paint... not enjoying the smell or the paint. Hubby says take off your shoes so you don't hurt their carpet, REALLY!?!

We take a walk to the beach, but have to walk by a huge dumpster. Not really setting the mood. We get to the pool and it is awesome, I am feeling better now. The beach area is quite nice.

This hotel is actually very nice but I do not understand how they put guests on a floor where they are scraping, painting, etc. Also, no top sheets, ugh...

They send us a survey and I mark them down, they reply that they like all 10s, sorry we aren't happy, hope to see you on your next visit... Yeah, I will be at a Marriott on my next visit, they don't treat their loyal customers this way, or at least when they mess up they make it right.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple