“Almost Perfect”

Ranked #25 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
New York City, New York
“Almost Perfect”
Reviewed 17 January 2011

Stayed at the Condado Lagoon Villas over New Year's and had a fantastic time. The rooms were perfect and the staff helpful. My only complaint was the horrible attitude at the Lemongrass Restaurant. Definitely stay at the villas and avoid the Lemongrass.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
LGMarcano, Manager at Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton, responded to this review, 27 January 2011
Thank you for your feedback on you recent visit to our property and for your great feedback on our restaurant. I discussed your comments with the lemongrass manager and will take corrective action to improve staff attitude. We do hope you give us another opportunity to serve you in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
New Jersey
Reviewed 7 January 2011

I have been to many different Hiltons, from Florida to India, and I was extremely disappointed with the quality of the Caribe. That being said, I loved Puerto Rico as a whole, and this was the only truly bad part of my trip.

The Room: The room itself was okay. Not luxurious, but not terrible either. However, I had booked an ocean view room and received a view of some construction project bordering San Juan. If I went out on the balcony and craned my neck, I could see the ocean. Judging by the arrangement of the Lagoon Villas building, I really don't think that any rooms could have ocean views.
The kitchen lacked a dishwasher and paper towels, two things that have been present in every other room advertised as having a kitchen in which I have stayed. When I asked for paper towels, I received about 10 paper towels, much like those in a public restroom. Many of the kitchen utensils, including the spatula, were melted.

Service: I had chosen the Caribe above other hotels in Puerto Rico because of its private beach/lagoon. During the first portion of my trip, I did not avail myself of the pools or the beach because of time (other activities, dining, etc.). On the Monday afternoon of my trip, my mother and I decided to swim. The beach had a great number of chairs across its span, about 60% of which were neatly covered with towels, appropriate for a Hilton resort. We found two empty chairs and set our bags down. I proceeded to swim, while my mother left to rent beach accessories (inner tubes, balls, etc.) from the cabana. After about 15 minutes, I went back to the chairs to relax and wait. She arrived and we chit chatted for approximately 10 minutes, when a hotel staff member, Jose, came over with another man carrying a rake and said, "These chairs are reserved. You need to leave." As a paying guest of the hotel, I was surprised at both his request and his tone. Nowhere was it marked that the chairs were reserved. "Excuse me?" I replied. "These chairs are reserved. See the towels? People come here early in the morning and reserve chairs." Indeed I did see the towels--on many long-unoccupied chairs. I had come to the beach early (~6:00 AM) the previous morning to take pictures of the sunrise, and had not seen a soul on the beach. Jose did not offer to assist us, as he should have, not only as a member of the hospitality industry, but also as a kind person. My mother and I, half-dressed, began to gather up our belongings, including two beach bags, piles of clothes, and two giant inner tubes. We picked up the few towels that we had borrowed from the beach rental cabana, when Jose pointed at my mother and said, "That towel isn't yours. Leave it here." Being that I had used the now wet and wrinkled towel to dry off after swimming and that the same towels were freely available at the cabana, I wasn't really sure why he or whoever apparently was using this chair would need that specific towel. My mother very deliberately put the towel down and picked up her bag to leave. "Don't forget your money," smirked Jose, gesturing at two dimes that sat on the chairs. I thought that this gesture was particularly rude--couldn't he have at least picked them up and handed them to one of us, seeing as how our arms were already overflowing with stuff? Insulted, we returned the items that we had rented to the cabana. The staff asked if we would be returning to claim the items, but we told them that we were disgusted with the beach, and that we would not ever return to it. After explaining what had happened, they told us that older local women pay the hotel staff personally to guard their favorite chairs. So I was kicked off my chair because some old woman bribed a hotel guy to behave like a bouncer at a club.

Needless to say, I will not be returning to the Hilton Caribe.

Pros: Pretty, if dirty, koi pond. Lovely waterfowl. Dolores at the front desk of the Lagoon Villas. The girls at the beach supply rental cabana.

Cons: Rude service; overpriced restaurants; crowded pools and beaches; low-quality rooms; bad parking location; mediocre location; overworked good staff; idle bad staff; poor layout of buildings

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank LeelaB10
Thank you for your feedback on you recent visit to our property. We shared your comments with our staff and investigate your comments. We take pride on our product and work hard to deliver a memorable experience to every guest. I am sharing your feedback with our beach staff and will address your comments with them. We do hope you give us another opportunity to serve you in the near future.
Milton, Georgia
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Took the extended family (mom and mother-in-law) with wife on southern caribbean cruise for christmas. We flew in 2 days early to make sure everyone go there. We stayed in a 2 bedroom with a view of the lagoon. Nice rooms with spacious areas. Bathrooms were nice with 3 total full baths. With 3 woman this came in handy, during our stay. The only problem was the service and the attitude during our stay. No help with our bags during the stay and just a general since of "I don't care". If you exclude the attitude we received this was a great location and a place to stay on the way to a cruise. I wouldn't choose it for a week but for a few days it was fine.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed 3 December 2010

It was the first time in my traveling career that I had to buy rubber gloves and clean my own room. I had to worry about MOLD blowing from a filthy air-vent over my bed and into my lungs while I slept. And it was the first time that I had to sleep with my sliding glass door open to make the smell of the MILDEWY room bearable. During my stay at THE CONDADO LAGOON VILLA at CARIBE HILTON, I discussed all of my concerns with staff from the hotel and nothing was done about it. I asked numerous time to be moved to another part of the hotel... but this simple accommodation was never fulfilled . Even when I noted that I am a HHonors Diamond Member. I included below, a part of the letter that I wrote to the Hilton Diamond Desk:

"After, what seemed to be like pushing through the thick smell, I reached the large sliding glass doors on the other side of the room. I struggled to get it open as fast as I could, at the same time holding my breath. Once opened, I felt like I could breath a bit better. Taking large gasps of the fresh ocean filled air I started to relax. I thought I should go explore the room a bit further. After about 20 seconds, I realized I should document some of the thing that I had found. A bathroom that wasn’t cleaned. Dead flies/ bugs and long hairs located randomly throughout the bathroom (which a simple swipe of a rag would have picked up, if it were done). Mildewy bathroom tiles and mold growing outside of the air vent located next to the bed was just the tip of the iceberg. The worse thing of all was a piece of bathroom tissue laying on the ground next to the toilet (as if someone had just went to the bathroom in a room that I’m now occupying). I felt sick, knowing that I could not do anything about the room. I went down the street bought some Febreeze and cleaning spray and made the room a bit more tolerable. I thought to myself that I would just have to deal with it until I could make arraignments for a different hotel. Two days later all 6 loyal HHonors Diamond members packed up and moved over to the Ritz Carlton to finish out our stay in the San Juan area."

I am writing this post for no other reason than to pass along this information. Before making reservations in this hotel, please consider looking elsewhere first!! I travel for work and spend most of my time on the road... and this was the worst hotel that I have ever stayed in. If you have any questions regarding this stay my email address is: MikeTripAdviserReply@gmail.com

Mike.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank mikereply
Thank you for your feedback on you recent visit to our property. We shared your comments with our staff and investigate your comments. I can assure you that your room’s condition is not indicative that all the other 263 rooms are in the same condition. We take pride on our product and work hard to deliver a memorable experience to every guest. We do hope you give us another opportunity to serve you in the near future.
delaware, usa
Reviewed 28 November 2010

Very nice stay in villas which is complete with mini kitchen including ice-maker fridge - the ocean view is actually overlooking the lagoon towards The Conrad hotel also; nice large balcony which is good as I'm a smoker and the hotel is 100% non-smoking; good location if you want to want to walk to Old San Juan (approx 30 mins - depending how you walk could take longer) .. or walk across the bridge which takes 10 mins towards Condado where a lot of the other hotels are with casinos .. we happen to be holiday gamblers so we did this several times - opposite Marriot Stellaris hotel is a nice place called Miro's (after the artist) which is a great place to try the tapas & happy hour drinks specials - frito queso (fried Brie), mussels I liked and the staff are extremely friendly which made for a very nice evening and ambience. I stayed at Rio Del Mar the previous year renting a car and like it for different reasons - (beach is much better there but you are stuck on an umpty acre resort and can't walk anywhere else to get a local flavor so shell out more on taxis) - There are convenient buses running from Old San Juan to Isla Verde for a set price of 75 cents - we saved a lot more this time using buses and taxis as most hotels charge a parking fee of $15 upwards (more if valet) - taxi to airport is $19/21 thereabouts before tip; Hilton to 0ld San Juan $12 for 2 people before tip ..As an aside we went to the Museum de Arte on El Diego one day but weren't that impressed but the restaurant we went to at lunchtime across the street, Bistro de Paris with the pate and French onion soup made the trip all worth while.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Bklyn, NY
Reviewed 24 November 2010

Having stayed a few years ago at the actual Caribe hilton North Tower, I was looking forward to coming back and seeing how the villas stood up to my 1st experience. I was with my sister and her grown daughter and the first thing i noticed is just how far back the room was. Arriving with luggage, i was glad the suitcase had wheels as we went past the main lobby of the hotel itself (villas lobby is set furhter down the lane, past the garage bldg.) past the conference rooms and then up an enclosed bridge that took us over to the villas bldg. The view in the room was very nice as we overlooked the condado lagoon and the san geronimo fort from our small balcony. The upside to the villa room was that it had a small kitchenette with a convection microwave, coffee maker, sink and fridge. the cabinets were empty of any supplies so if you are stocking the fridge, make sure you have plates utensils etc. before you get upstairs. The room itself was a standard hotel room (not even a flat screen tv so the armoire it was in took up space) and while the bathrooms in the north tower were floor to ceiling marble and glass shower enclosures, the villas room was a standard tub shower with curtain rod, one sink and i noticed some of the tile edging were chipped or even layed a bit crooked.
Our last night there, the fire alarms went off at least twice and the announcement came through in spanish but they were never repeated in english which we found surprising. It was a false alarm but we slept in sundresses in case we had to make a run for it. The following day, as we were closing our suitcases to leave, the alarms went off again and this time they were in english and asked visitors to leave the room and so we headed down via stairwell without luggage to the villa lobby. We were told by the guy at the front desk it was a false alarm and we could go back up. No P.A. announcement was done after that. My sister got a good deal on the villa room which is why we went and she knew i had stayed previously and was looking forward to the hotel. Everything else was fine. Staff everywhere was great, but if i go back to stay in the city i will stay in the isla verde section. Oh, lastthing, we took a tour of the spa and i had to keep asking to see the different rooms and we got minimal info on the services. I found the hallways to be too dark to the treatment rooms. locker area for ladies was well light, clean and seemed to have enough space to not feel crowded. There is a hot tub that is shared by men and women off a side door from the locker area. We didn't even get shown the products for sale right between the spa and hair /nail salon and we did walk into the salon area.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 November 2010

I enjoyed my stay at the Condado Lagoon Villas. The room was nice and clean and the beds were very comfortable. I was disappointed with the view though, we booked an ocean view room and though we had a view of the ocean we also had a view of construction and a highway. When we called to complain we were told that what we wanted was ocean front and that this particular hotel does not offer those types of rooms. The hotel was a great value so I quickly got over not having the perfect view. The Lagoon villas allows access to the Caribe Hilton Resort which was nice. There is a beach onsite, the time we were there there was plenty of beach chairs and also hammocks to relax in. They offer free snorkel equipment, beach towels and other things for the beach. Unfortunately we were not able to enjoy the beach because it rained quite a bit while we were there. Apparently November is their rainy season. Though it rained we still managed to enjoy our trip. The hotel is really not close to anything. The restaurants inside are of course pricey and there is only a Subways within walking distance. We took a short $6.00 cab (one way) ride to Old San Juan to eat, shop and sight see. I definitely would recommend this hotel for anyone who is not looking for anything too fancy.

• Stayed November 2010