“Nice people, can't say the same for food”
Review of Cafe Puerto Rico

Cafe Puerto Rico
Ranked #40 of 1,007 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Spanish, Puerto Rican
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Franklin Lakes
“Nice people, can't say the same for food”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Like some of the other reviewers, we were recommended here by our Hotel. Before going, we took a quick look at the TA reviews and they seemed pretty good. While the gentleman who greeted us and our waitress were very friendly, efficient and helpful, we can't say anything good about the food. Went with my husband and 2 kids and none of us ate much of our meals. Everything we ordered was heavily fried, breaded and bland. We eat out quite a bit at home and on many vacations and really struggled to eat the food that we ordered here. The only thing that wasn't too bad was the calamari which we are used to having fried and did have some flavor. We all left most of our entrees. We can't figure out what the other reviewers were raving about??

• Visited November 2013

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
“Great authentic Puerto Rican food.”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We stopped in San Juan on a recent cruise and our tour guide recommended Cafe Puerto Rico and we were not disappointed. I had the Mofongo (specifically the plantain with chicken in red sauce) and it was excellent. Prices were reasonable especially for the location. Standard touristy shops in the area for browsing before or after a meal. Staff speaks fluent english so any questions you have about the menu can be answered if you aren't fluent in Spanish. Would recommend this restaurant to anyone who is looking for a meal in Old San Juan.

Arizona
“Excellent authentic Puerto Rican Cuisine!”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Our family had dinner here based on the recommendation of our hotel (Chateau Cervantes). The atmosphere of this restaurant is incredible and the food is beyond delicious. Was an outstanding value and the mofongo was delicious! The staff was very friendly and informative on the different dishes. Highly recommend if you are visiting San Juan!

Los Angeles, California
“Fried chicken Puerto Rican style! yum yum”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Okay so yes I was in Puerto Rico and ordered fried chicken. I wanted empenadas but the waitress insisted I didn't KNOW what a Puerto Rican empenada was. Meh I was a litttle perturbed by it. There ARE ways of explaining how a dish is prepared WITHOUT saying "you don't know what you're ordering" sorry I get around when it comes to food. Yum yum yummy. Anyway the empenadas they couldn't serve solo and it came with a bunch of sides I didn't want. So I opted for the side of fried chicken. Ohhhhhhh my!
In soul food cooking families they tend to reuse frying oil and by doing this your oil is seasoned and gives the next meal you cook a great flavor. I swear the way they prepared the chicken they had to have gone to someones grandmas house and use her oil to fry the chicken. That chicken was the most flavorful chicken EVER and wasn't greasy. I can't wait to get back to Puerto Rico and eat more. Next time I'll be more authentic like mofongo...ohhhh I wonder if they'll try and tell me I don't know what that is either.

The drinks were SUPER great as well. I'd give a 5 star IF the waitress didn't try and tell me I didn't know what I was asking for. I'm big on service...Hunny I know what side of the world I'm on. Geesh

• Visited January 2013
San Francisco, California
“Delicious Taste of Puerto Rico”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

My wife and I had dinner here on the night of our wedding anniversary (based on the recommendation of our local tour guide), and the experience was quite memorable. We had just finished a week-long cruise vacation, and the food at Cafe Puerto Rico blows anything we ate on the ship out of the water.

We dined outdoors at around 9:00 PM, enjoying the sights and sounds of everything happening on the street and in the plaza. We enjoyed several courses, including cocktails, appetizers, lots of mofongo, and a flan for dessert. I'm not sure what you're doing here if you are not going to have the mofongo, they make it three different ways with a variety of different meats or toppings.

The service was friendly and attentive, and we were able to dine at a leisurely pace and take in the ambiance of the evening. In spite of the large meal and multiple cocktails, our bill was still very reasonable. If you are planning to dine out at all while in San Juan, make this be the place.